Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2014, 12:11 AM   #9886
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Filled up the Renault Espace two days ago to come back home from vacation ... only 1.26 €/l at Clermont-Ferrand for a total of 96€ ... the big light blue whale/land yacht has a big belly/tank ... now broke and have to mow the yard. No time to think about a K-3 ... or a bling-bling K-S1 ...

08-27-2014, 01:00 AM   #9887
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Filled up the Renault Espace two days ago to come back home from vacation ... only 1.26 €/l at Clermont-Ferrand for a total of 96€ ... the big light blue whale/land yacht has a big belly/tank ... now broke and have to mow the yard. No time to think about a K-3 ... or a bling-bling K-S1 ...
Sounds to me like you have plenty of time to think about a K-3! But wait till after Photokina with buying one - I'm sure they will release a bling-bling K-3 soon
08-27-2014, 01:15 AM   #9888
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Sounds to me like you have plenty of time to think about a K-3! But wait till after Photokina with buying one - I'm sure they will release a bling-bling K-3 soon
A disco-lighted K-3 !? Coooool ... shiny, bling-bling, want-want ...
08-27-2014, 01:24 AM   #9889
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

A disco-lighted K-3 !? Coooool ... shiny, bling-bling, want-want ...
Yep, rumours are that instead of a pop-up flash it will come with a pop-up disco ball.

There are also plans for a Christmas special with tinsel ornaments and a red glowing nose attached. With pop-up antlers, of course.

Well, so say the rumours, fresh off the press...

08-27-2014, 01:32 AM   #9890
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Yep, rumours are that instead of a pop-up flash it will come with a pop-up disco ball.

There are also plans for a Christmas special with tinsel ornaments and a red glowing nose attached. With pop-up antlers, of course.

Well, so say the rumours, fresh off the press...
I'll bet that Christine Tham was part of the "user input team" for its development ... looking forward to this version !

[ Hello ... Hello (kitty) ... where are you ?! ]

08-27-2014, 04:24 AM   #9891
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I know the ISX well considering I did tech support on them for years. I still work for Cummins, but in a different role.

The EGR cooler is prone to cavitation damage, so the right coolant and making sure there is no air in the system is a huge deal on them, but unfortunately service departments don't always follow those recommendations. I've even seen them shipped from the OEM with problems.
It is always great to get insider insight such as this, thank you for the comment!

When I served the apprenticeship to become a mechanic I had the opportunity to get similar peeks inside the business. It was an eye opener to be sure.

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I can tell you that those problems and the aftertreatment system (DPF and SCR systems) are definitely being improved, same with efficiency, but it takes time.
But as Norm points out, the manufacturers seem to be willing to sit back and wait for the legislative bodies to come along and give them the push towards making those changes. As a result the consumers wind up eating the costs of "development" in the form of downtime of the equipment and lost productivity, in addition to the monetary setbacks associated with it.

And that keeps many of us from being able to afford a K3.
08-27-2014, 04:36 AM   #9892
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
$3 per gallon? I'd go for that!!!!!
In Australia @ $1.50 per litre x 3.79 litres to US gallon + $5.68.
and prices are generally above $1.50, especially in rural areas.
QuoteOriginally posted by anemone Quote
This morning 1.639 €/l and end sum was 87 € to get nice 700+ kilometers travel for Volvo V50. It is about the one day pay after taxes. Welcome to Finland.
I have read about the higher cost for automotive fuels in other parts of the world. It sucks.

I remember when I first started driving the were "gas wars". Service stations (back then they actually had a few bays to work on cars and did quite a bit of business in addition to the gas sales) would get into battles over which one would have the lowest price. I saw regular leaded (yes they still had lead in the gas then, and the quality was much better than today's gas) going as low as $0.19.9 a gallon.

My dad had a bunch of 55 gallon barrels and we would load them into his pickup and go fill them up. Then we had to figure out how to get them out of the pickup and into the barn without getting hurt or killed!

It was only a few years later that there were the "gas shortages", and the prices began to skyrocket. Supposedly OPEC got all jacked up about something and said there was not enough crude to go around.

Next thing I knew the days of gas for less than a dollar a gallon were gone, never to return.

Certainly the high costs of motor fuels will keep many of us from buying a K3.

08-27-2014, 04:38 AM   #9893
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
$3 per gallon? I'd go for that!!!!!
In Australia @ $1.50 per litre x 3.79 litres to US gallon + $5.68.
and prices are generally above $1.50, especially in rural areas.
QuoteOriginally posted by anemone Quote
This morning 1.639 €/l and end sum was 87 € to get nice 700+ kilometers travel for Volvo V50. It is about the one day pay after taxes. Welcome to Finland.
By the way, do your cars have diesel engines, or gasoline (petrol) engines?
08-27-2014, 05:02 AM   #9894
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Mine is a 2.0 liter turbo-charged diesel ... We traded away the old 1.5 L Kangoo after a breakdown for this 7-seat capable land yacht. Lucky me, I get to drive this light blue whale ... thar' she blows!

Looks kinda like this, but no mags ... plain Jane hubcaps for me and no hociR K-3 either ... I want disco lights!

08-27-2014, 05:16 AM   #9895
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mine's petrol, 91 RON. - 6cylinder Toyota Aurion (Same body as the 4 Cyl Camry) 10+ litres per 100 kilometres around town (a bit more when Mrs rod drives!) and as low as 7.5 litres per 100 kilometres on country highways.
The unlucky ones who use higher grade fuel (95 or 98) pay considerably more - maybe 12+ cents more.
08-27-2014, 06:09 AM   #9896
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is always great to get insider insight such as this, thank you for the comment!

When I served the apprenticeship to become a mechanic I had the opportunity to get similar peeks inside the business. It was an eye opener to be sure.

But as Norm points out, the manufacturers seem to be willing to sit back and wait for the legislative bodies to come along and give them the push towards making those changes. As a result the consumers wind up eating the costs of "development" in the form of downtime of the equipment and lost productivity, in addition to the monetary setbacks associated with it.

And that keeps many of us from being able to afford a K3.
Believe it or not but Cummins pushed for more strict emission levels with the next roll out, mainly because Cummins figured out how to meet harsher emissions. That is what pushed others out of the HD on highway market last time, Cummins figured it out and they didn't.

There are actually people in there developing things a couple of cycles ahead, then working on getting the costs down as much as possible. On the DPF/DOC there really wasn't much that could be done due to the precious metals needed in them to make them work. Think catalytic converter innards, just loads more.

I bet that will keep all the truckers from buying a K3.
08-27-2014, 06:17 AM   #9897
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I bet that will keep all the truckers from buying a K3.
Ya, I see your point....
08-27-2014, 06:33 AM   #9898
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As a result the consumers wind up eating the costs of "development" in the form of downtime of the equipment and lost productivity
Well then. When the government mandates a change let the government pay for it. Then the consumers won't need to.
08-27-2014, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #9899
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well then. When the government mandates a change let the government pay for it. Then the consumers won't need to.
Ohh, but they will. Think about where the government gets its money.
08-27-2014, 06:57 AM   #9900
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
If the Government mandates changes that end up saving the environment and ultimately save consumers money as in more efficient vehicles... should the government then reap the rewards by keeping the savings? The Government seems to be somehow banned from making a return on it's investments... wat wid dat?
A government sets policy that saves folks billions and they are criticized for getting too big. A privates corporation does the same thing while taking half of the billions saved as profit, and they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. There's a double standard here.

And that's why I won't buy a K-3.

Last edited by normhead; 08-27-2014 at 07:05 AM.