08-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #10036
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Happy Birthday!!
Totally cool zombie clown!
That is Sid Haig, as Captain Spaulding, a character in a couple of Rob Zombie movies. The character isn't a zombie, but an evil and demented brute that goes around behaving in a manner that causes children and the "inner child" in adults to fear clowns.

The movies are pretty well done, but not really for everyone. They did receive some favorable reviews, and win some awards, but they are still the typical slice and dice horror flicks, with all the accompanying blood, gore, death and dismemberment.

An interesting point is that most of the characters are named after Marx Brothers film characters.

I've seen these flicks, and thought they were OK, but not something I would watch again and again.

Oh, and they definitely are not for children or the faint of heart.

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Mine too! And I had 55 people on FB wish my a happy birthday, but no one IRL.
Well happy birthday greets to you too!

Way cool that we share the same starting day. Once I looked up people born that day, and found an extensive list of interesting and weird people.

Oliver Wendell Holmes August 29, 1809 ~ October 7, 1894, known for many things, and was influential in the eventual preservation of the USS Constitution.

Charles Franklin Kettering August 29, 1876 ~ November 25, 1958 founder of Delco {Electronics}, inventor of the electric starting motor and leaded gasoline.

Werner Forßmann August 29, 1904 ~ June 1, 1979 was a physician from Germany who shared the 1956 Nobel Prize in Medicine (with Andre Cournand and Dickinson Richards) for developing a procedure that allowed for cardiac catheterization.

Ingrid Bergman August 29, 1915 ~ August 29 1982 (interesting how she passed on the day of her birth!) actress, and mother of 4, including actress Isabella Rossellini.

Charles Parker, Jr. August 29, 1920 ~ March 15, 1955 highly influential American jazz saxaphonist and composer.

Elliott Gould {Goldstein} August 29, 1938 actor and producer.

Gary Gabelich August 29, 1940 ~ January 26, 1984 Apollo test astronaut in 1968-1969, in the Blue Flame Land Speed Record car averaged 629.412 mph (1,013 km/h) on his first run and 631.367 mph (1,016 km/h) on his second run for an average speed of 630.388 mph setting a new LSR record that was unbeaten until 1982. Gary also set a 1/4 mile drag boat record of 200.44 mph in 1969. He was seriously injured in the crash of an experimental 4 wheel drive Funny Car in 1972 almost severing his left forearm and broke his left leg so severely that more than a year later he still wore a cast. His life was cut short by his untimely death in January 1984 in a motorcycle crash.

Robin Douglas Leach 29 August 1941, television personality and show host, entertainment reporter, writer, and columnist, best known for the show "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous". He also served as the public address announcer for the 2010 NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Robin appeared in the documentary film Maxed Out in 2006, which chronicled the rise of the credit card industry in the U.S. along with increased personal debt among working class people and criticized that industry's practices. Leach remarks, "Nobody would watch Lifestyles of the Poor and Unknown".

Mohamed "Mo" Amin August 29, 1943 ~ November 23, 1996 was a Kenyan photojournalist noted for his pictures and videotapes of the Ethiopian famine. During the 1970s, he became one of the most relied-upon African news photographers, reporting on wars and coups all through the continent, and his pictures were often used by Western news media. Amin's most influential moment came when his photos, along with Michael Buerk's reporting of the 1984 Ethiopian famine brought international attention to the crisis and eventually helped start the charity wave that resulted in Live Aid concerts. He was killed when Ethiopian Airlines Flight 961 was hijacked on November 23, 1996 and. Amin attempted to rally the passengers to attack the hijackers and confronted the hijackers, trying to stop the hijacking. The plane ran out of fuel and the pilot was forced to ditch it off the coast of the Comoros Islands. Amin was mortally injured in the crash.

Richard (Dick) Halligan August 29, 1943 is an American musician and composer, best known as a founding member of the jazz-rock band Blood, Sweat & Tears.

Chris Copping August 29, 1945 is a musician and singer-songwriter who was a member of Procol Harum in the 1970s, and has also composed for TV and film.

James Simon Wallis HuntAugust 29, 1947 ~ June 15, 1993 was a British racing driver who won the Formula One World Championship in 1976.

Geoffrey Charles 'Geoff' Whitehorn August 29, 1951 is a guitarist and singer-songwriter, who has played as a member of If, Crawler and Procol Harum.

Dave Malone born August 29, 1952 is best known as the guitarist/vocalist, and sometimes songwriter, of The Radiators.

Kevin Michael "GG" Allin (born Jesus Christ Allin) August 29, 1956 ~ June 28, 1993 was an American punk rock singer-songwriter, who performed and recorded with many groups during his career. GG Allin is best remembered for his notorious live performances, which often featured transgressive acts, including {a bunch of stuff I will not repeat here, as I find it awful and disgusting}. I find it troubling that such a sick and twisted person shares the same day and year of my birth.

Oh well, not everything in life (and death) can be good.

Michael Jackson was born on August 29, 1958. We all know who this guy was.

Rebecca Jane Pearch (De Mornay) August 29, 1959 American actress.

Chris Austin Hadfield 29 August 1959 Canadian RCAF fighter pilot, astronaut and the first Canadian to walk in space with 14 hours 53 minutes and 38 seconds of EVA time.

Alexander Thomas "Alex" Griffin August 29, 1971 bass player and founding member of 1990's indie punk band Ned's Atomic Dustbin.

August 29 is also a special day set aside for "The International Day against Nuclear Tests" established on December 2, 2009 at the 64th session of the United Nations General Assembly.

The day is a national holiday in Slovakia, commemorating when the Slovaks rose up against Nazi Germany.

August 29 is really a cool day!

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Sucked for me today too. I got confirmation that I have celiac disease and that i have to have surgery to repair the hernia surgery I had in 2005. The mesh has somehow come away from where it is supposed to be.
Sorry to hear this. Health issues always suck. Hopefully you can deal with the celiac disease by a strict diet.

I read recently that most people have hernias and either don't realize it or simply deal with it. A guy I worked with at the electric utility has had one for about 20 years now. When it "pops out" he just reaches down and pushes it back in.

Uf da!

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Happy birthday Racer & Voice.
Thank you very much Rod.

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
(Although it is actually 30th August on this side of the world. - Some missed the #10000, you two virtually missed your birthdays!)
Interesting that you mention the time/date difference. On another forum I hang out at there is a "Last" thread, where everyone tries to be "Last". There are members near you in Oz, a few in Europe, but most are in the US. Recently I waited until just before midnight in my area (Pacific Time Zone) and then posted "Last".

Since there are no members between my area and the International Date Line I was the "last" person to post "last" on that particular day.

Of course one wise acre then immediately posted "last" from the East coast of the US, but really he was only the "first" to be "last" on that day.

QuoteOriginally posted by karro Quote
happy birthday, Racer/Voice!
Thank you so much Karro. A "tip 'o the hat" to you !

{ Somewhere in this voluminous post is a reference to a famous photographer, and therefore somehow connects it to this thread, and indeed this forum. All the more reason that I will not be purchasing a K3 anytime soon. }

Last edited by Racer X 69; 08-30-2014 at 06:18 PM. Reason: "just" not "lust"!
08-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #10037
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
And happy belated "bon anniversaire" to Racer & V.O.R. ......
Merci beaucoup Jean!

08-30-2014, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #10038
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I know I'm a bit late to the, ehm, party. But as I try to stay as much as I can on, umm, topic, well...

To the both of you:

08-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #10039
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Well, I know I'm a bit late to the, ehm, party. But as I try to stay as much as I can on, umm, topic, well...

To the both of you:
You already know how I feel about those tiaras. But since it is your birtdays you can pick first.

08-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #10040

I'd buy a Pentax K-3, but i'm not going to just yet.
Why? I'm broke
08-30-2014, 11:41 AM   #10041
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
I'd buy a Pentax K-3, but i'm not going to just yet.
Why? I'm broke
That's OK. The way things are going, on Black Friday they'll be giving away a K-S1 if you buy a DA50/1.8.
08-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #10042
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
Why? I'm broke
But do have enough to buy bacon and cheese? And what is your position on lutefisk?

08-30-2014, 12:39 PM   #10043
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Actually in France the month of august does not exist, no body works in august
Which French philosopher who said: "I work, therefore I exist"? Or do I misquote?

Last edited by tim60; 08-30-2014 at 12:51 PM.
08-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #10044
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Which French philosopher who said: "I work, therefore I exist"? I do I misquote?
Does not sound very "français" to me ...
08-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #10045
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
But do have enough to buy bacon and cheese? And what is your position on lutefisk?
Love it.
08-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #10046
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Does not sound very "français" to me ...
The same philosopher also something about "If I want to know about anything I first divide it into its parts ..."

Therein has come a source of the limited benefit we get from vast expenditures on research which so abstract stuff that we do not get useful guidance on what to do. e.g. is there a clinical study about whether lutefisk is good for you? Does that give guidance whether to eat lutefisk?
08-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #10047
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The same philosopher also something about "If I want to know about anything I first divide it into its parts ..."

Therein has come a source of the limited benefit we get from vast expenditures on research which so abstract stuff that we do not get useful guidance on what to do. e.g. is there a clinical study about whether lutefisk is good for you? Does that give guidance whether to eat lutefisk?
Did this philosopher say anything about cheese ... or bacon?

---------- Post added 08-30-14 at 22:06 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
Love it.
Show us a YouTube video, SVP !!!
08-30-2014, 01:25 PM   #10048
Veteran Member

Try this: Servering av lutefisk - - NDLA
08-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #10049
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I think this version is closer to the truth.

08-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #10050
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I think this version is closer to the truth.

Logan tries lutefisk - YouTube
(#10050) ... oops, nevermind.

---------- Post added 08-30-14 at 22:36 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
Aye ain't understud nothin' say'd by them there furryners ...