Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #10501
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
“Though much is taken, much abides; and though ~ We are not now that strength which in the old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are. ~ One equal-temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will ~ To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.” ~ Kipling
Tennyson, Ulysses

09-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #10502
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm a lifelong member of PETA.

(People Eating Tasty Animals)
I can't find a member's card but most people around me keep insisting I'm a member of PITA - is that the same thing? Ok, maybe not "member of"...
09-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #10503
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by karro Quote
is there an official Guinness record of beating a dead horse?
I wonder, if we should submit the "mirror flop" thread as an entry.. may well have a winner on our hands!
Mmmm ... horse meat. ( cheval )

You know, the French still do that (can be had in many a butcher shop and there are the "specialty ones", too) ... along with those snails and frog legs.

09-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #10504
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Mmmm ... horse meat. ( cheval )

You know, the French still do that (can be had in many a butcher shop and there are the "specialty ones", too) ... along with those snails and frog legs.
Slugs and frogs ain't my thing. But really, I would rather eat the dead horses than beat them.

Granted, they don't make great bacon.

09-23-2014, 11:12 AM   #10505
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had horse meat once, a long time ago. I remember it having a very strong flavor.
09-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #10506
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Tennyson, Ulysses
Ouch. Never made my peace with Whitman, either. Thx for the catch - correcting ASAP or sooner.*

* What was I THINKING???
09-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #10507
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Slugs and frogs ain't my thing. But really, I would rather eat the dead horses than beat them.

Slugs are GREAT !!! I could wolf down several dozen, easy. And the best place for frog's legs is at a Chinese buffet ... all you can eat ! Mmmmm ...

---------- Post added 09-23-14 at 21:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I had horse meat once, a long time ago. I remember it having a very strong flavor.
Despite almost two decades in France, I still have yet to taste horse meat. Mentally blocked here in eating Trigger. Have had many the opportunity and could have purchased some myself ... but, nope.

I have had lamb brains once when I was an exchange student ... horrid, squishy awful stuff. Like eating a sponge that had been cooked in a dirty gym sock ... but then again, that was at the University cafeteria and they could mess up many a thing.

09-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #10508
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Slugs are GREAT !!!
I could never understand the aversion to escargot. People who eat shellfish have no such problem with abalone (a big snail) or conch (another big snail) or whelk (small snail). Perhaps it is because they live in water and the mucous is not quite as evident as with land-dwelling molluscs.

Frog legs? I have a personal affinity for frogs and will pass. The livE hociR is undoubtedly connected to all of this as well as the ill-timed demise of hundreds of thousands of sea urchins.

Steve
09-23-2014, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #10509
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Like eating a sponge that had been cooked in a dirty gym sock ... but then again, that was at the University cafeteria
Probably was a sponge in a dirty gym sock!! School sold the good stuff and pocketed the money for booze!
09-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #10510
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

Properly prepared snails are edible. There were a couple of people here who died after eating slugs on a drunken dare. - only a few years ago. I was living in my present house when I heard on the news.
09-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #10511
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have had lamb brains once when I was an exchange student
My grandmother used to make scrambled eggs and calf's brains occasionally. The flavor was very non-descript and not at all unpleasant, but the texture was a bit of a put-off.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I could never understand the aversion to escargot. People who eat shellfish have no such problem with abalone (a big snail) or conch (another big snail) or whelk (small snail).
I agree. I love shellfish. I would like to try snails, but I have never had the opportunity. Well, I've seen them canned in the grocery store, but I suspect that using those as an exemplar would be a bit like someone deciding whether or not they like Mexican food by eating at Taco Bell.

Hmm. Looks like we've added a few more tags for the thread, but then there are probably hundreds of photography threads around that have horse meat, snails, and slugs in their tag list.

Last edited by Parallax; 09-23-2014 at 12:40 PM.
09-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #10512
Pentaxian

Slugs are GREAT !!! I could wolf down several dozen, easy. And the best place for frog's legs is at a Chinese buffet ... all you can eat ! Mmmmm ...

---------- Post added 09-23-14 at 21:04 ----------

Despite almost two decades in France, I still have yet to taste horse meat. Mentally blocked here in eating Trigger. Have had many the opportunity and could have purchased some myself ... but, nope.

I have had lamb brains once when I was an exchange student ... horrid, squishy awful stuff. Like eating a sponge that had been cooked in a dirty gym sock ... but then again, that was at the University cafeteria and they could mess up many a thing.
Frogs' legs cooked with aniseed. Real good. That is one recipe in Taiwan.

When I was young my mother would get sheep brains. Then she put it in my sandwiches to take to school. I had to have a hungry those days. I also did not like the 'processed' cheese in summer, it kind of melted. Real cheese (like mature or vintage cheddar) just releases a little oil which when packed between bread without butter is quite nice.
09-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #10513
Pentaxian

Mmmm ... plus one gets to play with a cool snail shell clamp and that cute two-pong fork-ette !!!

Edit ... oops, forgot. "And that's why I'm not getting a K-3 !"

09-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #10514
Veteran Member

Tried snails once, they had the taste and texture of erasers! I'll stick with shrimp and clams.. Yummy!
09-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #10515
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow! Look at the 'S' car go!!