Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #10816
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Quick nonsensical question because I am curious never having had one of their donuts. They don't have them here. Are the Horton donuts light and fluffy and a bit too sweet like KK or more dense and less sweet like DD? I'm more of a DD person than a KK person. I don't like my donuts as light an airy as KK makes them. I like them with a bit of heft. Which way do the Horton donuts go?
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My understanding after conversations with my Canadian friends is that Horton's coffee and donuts are both pretty much generic quality. I may still sample on my next trip to BC though.

Steve
That was the old formula. They (reportedly) now have the consistency and flavor of a Whopper™ bun.

10-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #10817
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
That may be the solution to declining enrollment at those conservative religious congregations; surplices made of beer-soaked bacon for the support crew.
They had a surplice of crackers and grape juice. The Vestry said they cotta altar the menu and add some holy cheese but the Sexton sneaked in some wine and lit sergy instead.
10-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #10818
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Every week, Americans eat enough bacon strips to circle the earth.

50 feet.
10-15-2014, 02:46 AM   #10819
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Me, I prefer real bacon. With eggs over easy on butter-drenched grits. Mmmmm.

No beer necessary.

Hmm, is vegetarian "equivalent" to a "crop factor"? Inquiring minds want to know.
Careful now - You're getting dangerously close to making this back into a photography thread!

10-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #10820
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
10-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #10821
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Careful now - You're getting dangerously close to making this back into a photography thread!
I'm confused here. You do know that grits are made from corn, which is a crop, eh? So when I'm talking about "vegetarian" and "crop factor", I'm not sure how photography enters into the picture. They just don't seem to be "equivalent".
10-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #10822
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Whoa, I haven't been away more than a few days and you guys are already in desperate need of some correction!

Vegetarian? I believe that's defined as chicken, pork and other vegetables.
No, that's just folk etymology. "Vegetarian" is a term meaning "village idiot who can't hunt or fish". Of course, most idiots don't live in villages these days.

Hmm, is vegetarian "equivalent" to a "crop factor"? Inquiring minds want to know.
No no, you got that all wrong. That should be "crap factor". Just as over in the FF threads.

10-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #10823
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.
I am, in fact, alive and well. I have been traveling the last several days. My mother in law passed away unexpectedly, so with travel, funeral, etc., I've been a bit preoccupied. I've been checking periodically and I'm glad to see that the mother of all threads is alive and well also.
10-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #10824
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.
I am, in fact, alive and well. I have been traveling the last several days. My mother in law passed away unexpectedly, so with travel, funeral, etc., I've been a bit preoccupied. I've been checking periodically and I'm glad to see that the mother of all threads is alive and well also.
Just don't be thinking it will go one forever without you.
10-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #10825
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, Norm.
10-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #10826
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, with no Parallax, the other admins would shut this place down in a bacon lick.
No time for hociR, spending all my time on hands and knees, installing bamboo in the LR, DR, hallway and the stairs...
10-16-2014, 03:06 AM   #10827
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm confused here. You do know that grits are made from corn, which is a crop, eh? So when I'm talking about "vegetarian" and "crop factor", I'm not sure how photography enters into the picture. They just don't seem to be "equivalent".
Darn. I completely misunderstood. What exactly is "grits"? This is not something I have encountered, even on my year long trip to the US of A!
10-16-2014, 04:53 AM   #10828
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh my. You've missed a real treat. Grits is a tasteless, oddorless slop mush made from lye soaked corn (hominy). I know a few people though who claim it has a flavor to it.
10-16-2014, 05:49 AM   #10829
Pentaxian

Darn. I completely misunderstood. What exactly is "grits"? This is not something I have encountered, even on my year long trip to the US of A!
Say that in my Aunt Jerry's or anyone from Georgia's house and you will encounter a look that shows a complete lack of comprehension followed by the statement "that boy doesn't know what grits are, can y'all believe that?"
10-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #10830
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Oh my. You've missed a real treat. Grits is a tasteless, oddorless slop mush made from lye soaked corn (hominy). I know a few people though who claim it has a flavor to it.
If your grits are a true "mush", then you've overcooked them. (Trying to beat them to death, eh?)

The beauty of grits is that they don't interfere with the flavor of whatever is put on top of them or mixed in with them. The same sort of effect that fish have in French cuisine - the secret is in the sauce, not the bland fish. But the grits have better texture than the fish, in my experience.