Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108794 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #10891
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Anyone thought that maybe OP is a second account for someone who is participating in this circus?
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Posting under a second account is usually detectable by the IP address of the person doing so, and contrary to the forum rules.

But if a person wanted to go to the trouble of spoofing their IP address it is entirely possible.
I have it on good authority that the Troll Police (moderators) frown on members using more than one account. Spoofing is a NoNo.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
We've looked into that. It's not the case. I think he made a legitimate post, edited it the next day in an attempt at damage control; but sveral pages in the thread derailed, plunged over an embakment, and has yet to hit the bottom.
It was the 'Cheese Sandwich' Reply that steered it into the ditch - all downhill from there.

Thought you should know.

10-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #10892
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It was the 'Cheese Sandwich' Reply that steered it into the ditch - all downhill from there.

Thought you should know.
And your point is?????????????????????
10-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #10893
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Must have had something to do with the Pentagon (Ground Zero?) being only 2.7 miles away.
I grew up in Seattle:
  • Nike surface-to-air missile site on hill top one mile away
  • Boeing defense plants within 20 miles
  • Major naval shipyard within 50 miles
  • Significant army and air force bases within 75 miles
We were definitely living in the zone of first strike highest priority. Civil defense guidelines suggested a post-blast strategy where private small boats would be rafted in Puget Sound to provide a low-radiation shelter to all the people living in the surrounding cities.

Obviously the hociR had a part in this.

Steve
10-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #10894
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I grew up in Seattle:
  • Boeing defense plants within 20 miles
  • Major naval shipyard within 50 miles
  • Significant army and air force bases within 75 miles
Steve
In St. Louis we all figured if they decided our defense plants were worth knocking out we didn't have anywhere we could go to get away. So aside from looking at the basements of those Yellow Triangle buildings every once in a while we just ignored it.

10-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #10895
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Back in the old days, my Air Force days, one of my assignments was (Minuteman) missile security at Ellsworth AFB. Naturally, we would have known before the general public if a nuclear attack were immenent . I had decided that if it came to that I was going to take a lawn chair and six pack up to the roof and watch the fireworks.
10-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #10896
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It just started to rain. No hociR here till the rain stops
10-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #10897
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Back in the old days, my Air Force days, one of my assignments was (Minuteman) missile security at Ellsworth AFB. Naturally, we would have known before the general public if a nuclear attack were immenent . I had decided that if it came to that I was going to take a lawn chair and six pack up to the roof and watch the fireworks.
I seem to remember sitting on a roof drinking warm beer watching the "fireworks" several times during my stay at Ton San Nhut airbase in Saigon, so generously provided by Uncle Sam. Actually one of the few "good" memories.

10-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #10898
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I grew up in Seattle:
Bothell, 228th Street, SW.

"Super Top Secret"

Everyone knew about it.

Now there looks to be "nothing".

I think they just made it look innocuous.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 10-21-2014 at 07:07 PM.
10-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #10899
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

"Super Top Secret"

Everyone knew about it.

It is used by FEMA now.

I lived about halfway between the 228th street launch site and the command site up on Horizon Crest.

Steve
10-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #10900
Pentaxian

"Super Top Secret"

Everyone knew about it.

Took the site apart years ago... Yeah, it would be hard to disguise a missile site 😏

SWMBO and I were first stationed at Offutt, where she was a Comm Controller in the SAC Underground. The Senior Controllers in charge of each shift (well, some of them) failed to see the humor in our t-shirts. The "Welcome to Offutt AFB, Ground Zero USA" ones with a nice little mushroom cloud image... Who woulda thunk it?

Jim
10-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #10901
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Took the site apart years ago... Yeah, it would be hard to disguise a missile site ��
That is right. The original buildings and underground launcher bunkers are gone, but the site remained government property and is currently occupied by both FEMA and the Army Reserve. The rest of the site on Horizon Crest was unoccupied for several years and was eventually deeded to the City of Lake Forest Park and is now a public park.

It is strange to look back. We all knew it was a missile site, but it was "just one of those things". I suppose at this time of history there would be weekly demonstrations.

Steve
10-21-2014, 10:55 PM   #10902
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I seem to remember sitting on a roof drinking warm beer watching the "fireworks" several times during my stay at Ton San Nhut airbase in Saigon, so generously provided by Uncle Sam. Actually one of the few "good" memories.

Charles Duguid, in his memoir of being an army surgeon at Gaza in 1917 referred to an event where Turkish planes strafed the Australian field hospital, and di not hit anything that matter, but had 44 rounds of AA discharged in their general direction, remarked "they caused us to draw appreciably on our war loan".
10-22-2014, 02:30 AM   #10903
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
We had some good fireworks once when the enormous pile of empty wood ammo crates we had been instructed to take to the rifle range and burn turned out not to be entirely empty. Luckily, we were all a (barely) safe distance away when it all went up. With stroke of luck I had just instructed a grunt to add two crates that had been left behind on the one truck and luckily he had just arrived back at the truck when it all went boom.
10-22-2014, 02:48 AM   #10904
Veteran Member

Speaking of bullies, does anyone want a wild and far too full of himself Red Point Siamese boy cat? My girl and I are having major second thoughts about this whole adopting another cat thing lately. Loki has been driving her absolutely mad this week and he's been really abusing his person besides. I have multiple war wounds to prove it. I'm practically taking stock in neosporin this past week. He was doing so well too...

I'm taking him to the vet next week if he doesn't settle back down. I really hate to resort to chemicals but I am about there. Honestly, this cat needs to be on prozac or something. Feliway and that, it's just not cutting it. He's just evil to be around sometimes. I'm about to find a farm to throw him at. I love the little sh- I really do, but if this cat was a man I'd have bounced him out of my life 10X over by now. He's needy, overly attached, jealous, demanding and physically abusive! It's like living with Jekyll and Hyde kitty. I never know whether he's going to be my sweet loving boy or one mean bully Tom.

This cat IS fixed but you'd never know it from his bad attitude. I'm very tempted sometimes to actually let him outside to meet the neighborhood Toms. They'd cut his petite little dominant arse down to size in no time flat and teach him some humility. He has NO idea of what it's really like out there. He thinks he's King of the World. But those Toms might give him kitty AIDS/Leukemia etc and/or Mr Coyote or the Hawks might get him and I could not handle that. It would break my heart, sigh....

Lily is really losing her tolerance though and so am I. If I had known what I know now when I first saw him? I swear I'd have kept on walking. This whole Siamese/Red Tabby cross thing? It's just been brutal and from what I've read? He could be like this for another year or two yet as Siamese males can take a while to develop into full adulthood. At the rate he's going he may not live that long. The Queen of Hel, just may finish him off one of these days before I can stop her. Herself has been far more "Lilith" than "Lily" lately and I'm honestly afraid that if he keeps it up for much longer she just might lose it and seriously hurt him. Lil really does not like being pushed around by what she sees as a big, impudent kitten. She's been very tolerant considering, but she's no docile kitty herself and on of these days I think he's going to push her into displaying some real aggression herself. She's smacked him down pretty good several times this week sans claws, knocked him right off a bookcase last night. But he just keeps coming back for more the foolish little beast. I'd love to think they're just playing but Lil is cursing the air blue practically and I really think NOT....

I guess I should take solace in the fact that there's no blood flying, at least not with them anyway. Me, on the other hand, the little brat loves tear into when he can't tear into her. He's got a good case of misplaced aggression I think. I've tried all the usual training methods, but they're not working very well on him. This cat he takes those tiger stripes of his way too seriously. The only way I can deal with them when it gets too serious is to separate them, and give him a time out, which she needs but he hates. But the end result of that is he gets mad at me and the next thing you know he's taking it out on me instead of her! I hate to resort to drugs but I'm really thinking this cat might need some. He's a bit mental this cat. He is SO aptly named, groan....
10-22-2014, 02:52 AM   #10905

ending the name discussion

remember folks before Ricoh (3 years ago) it was Hoya (glasses -filters) that was the owner of the brandname Pentax now we have a camera brand again so whats the problem?
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »