Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2014, 07:32 PM   #10981
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Lutefisk is shipped in wooden casks or crates. Lots of salt and of course the dry cod treated in lye. The barrels can be recycled as lawn ornaments to keep weasels at bay.
Those barrels will still be standing long after the pyramids have crumbled to dust!!

BTW, weasels are not deterred by Lutefisk. They will eat anything...

...maybe that was a wolverine.

10-29-2014, 03:28 PM   #10982
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Those barrels will still be standing long after the pyramids have crumbled to dust!!

BTW, weasels are not deterred by Lutefisk. They will eat anything...

...maybe that was a wolverine.
Probably. But lutefisk is dry as a stick and don't need no barrel and certainly no salt. It need a lot of water or milk the night before, though. And in primitive modern countries you acn also get the soft middle rpoduct in hermetic plastic bags. They have to be strong, though, so the dead fish doesn't suddenly escape.
10-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #10983
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a phrase I use up here - the convenience of an oral history. Whole societies can be restructured by the false memories of the elders. Take lutefisk (please). Most Scando-Americans are descendants of hardy voyageurs who fled Scandinavia to escape the horrors of lutefisk. In fact Norwegians, today, are the world's largest consumer of an established taste treat - frozen pizza. 13,000 tons of it yearly; 6lbs. for every man, woman and screaming child.
So let's hear it for cheese, bacon, pepperoni and Italian flatbread, the true Norway.
10-29-2014, 06:29 PM   #10984
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
I have a phrase I use up here - the convenience of an oral history. Whole societies can be restructured by the false memories of the elders. Take lutefisk (please). Most Scando-Americans are descendants of hardy voyageurs who fled Scandinavia to escape the horrors of lutefisk. In fact Norwegians, today, are the world's largest consumer of an established taste treat - frozen pizza. 13,000 tons of it yearly; 6lbs. for every man, woman and screaming child.
So let's hear it for cheese, bacon, pepperoni and Italian flatbread, the true Norway.
Phey, so glad not to be a scandinavian . Not saying there is anything wrong with Bacon...

10-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #10985
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Maybe if it was wrapped in bacon ...
Looks like Bacon Pie!
10-29-2014, 08:40 PM   #10986
Pentaxian

Easier to just stack the pizzas outdoors than to go thru all the trouble of preparing the fish, eh?

(yes I know it's even more of a stereotype than saying Norm lives in the Great White North)
10-29-2014, 09:09 PM   #10987
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You all remind me.

Chinese century eggs (the black ones) are made using lye. I have used lye to improve the taste of soft persimmons (before they were really soft) to prepare them for the dehydrator. The pharmacist would not seel the stuff to me so I went down the street to the hardware shop. And there are Chinese salt dried fish which are softened up by boiling. Apparently not good for you if they form the basis of the meat part of the diet but fine in small amounts. Like all things, excess is bad but some is good.

10-29-2014, 09:52 PM   #10988
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Maybe if it was wrapped in bacon ...
Jean, vous venez me fait saliver! Qu'est-ce? Cela semble merveilleux! Yum! Yum!

(Hope I got that right. It's been a while since I did whole sentences in French. I'm not sure, but that pic was worth trying! Is there a French equivalent for Yum Yum? Not sure, lol...)

Oh wait, I see. Bacon wrapped pork loin. Okay, I'm going to have to find a recipe for that one. Thanks, you just provided me with next Sunday's dinner, I think. This looks like that pic. Don't know if it's the same one, but this is what I will be making. Sounds scrumptious! Yum!

Sausage Stuffed, Bacon Wrapped, Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Apples & Cider Sauce | Someone Left The Cake Out In The Rain

Last edited by magkelly; 10-29-2014 at 09:59 PM.
10-31-2014, 04:44 PM   #10989
Pentaxian

Bump!

Gotta do my part to get over 11,000 ��

Oh yeah - bacon!
10-31-2014, 04:51 PM   #10990
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I just had 2 Asiago Cheese bagels with thinly sliced smoked salmon and a Chive Schmear.

That lutefisk bee-otch is meshugenah.
10-31-2014, 04:55 PM   #10991
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Aw, but the new incentive is here; Adam's freebie season is back. Last spring you couldn't get a word typed in edgewise for all the posts. Greed and lust for freebies beats common sense every time. 12K is within reach!
10-31-2014, 05:10 PM   #10992
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So I just had 2 Asiago Cheese bagels with thinly sliced smoked salmon.

Sounds good, but it's even better with lox instead of the smoked salmon.

Shalom
10-31-2014, 05:21 PM   #10993
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Aw, but the new incentive is here; Adam's freebie season is back. Last spring you couldn't get a word typed in edgewise for all the posts. Greed and lust for freebies beats common sense every time. 12K is within reach!
Yep. Shall we start a pool for the date and time that the first whiny complaint about it will be posted?
12K is totally doable. OMG! Did i like reely just type that?
10-31-2014, 05:25 PM   #10994
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So I just had 2 Asiago Cheese bagels with thinly sliced smoked salmon and a Chive Schmear.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote

Shalom
Time to eat something...Shabbat Shalom...

Steve

---------- Post added 10-31-14 at 05:26 PM ----------

OMG! Did i like reely just type that?
Your days as a mod are numbered.

Steve
10-31-2014, 05:43 PM   #10995
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shalom
Yeppers - Stein's deli at Delmar Blvd. and North and South; Sunday mornings growing up I could bicycle there and back and the bagels would still be warm when I got home.

And did they care if an hour later I was reciting Rite One from the BCP?

Whaaaat, your money doesn't schpend?

P.S. - Jim Stein is still my friend. I sat Seder with his family several times and his grandfather patiently coached me on my lines of the Haggadah(?) in Hebrew until it was passable. Good memories.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-31-2014 at 05:49 PM.