Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2014, 11:42 PM   #11836
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The pilot?

My first airplane ride was in the waning days of commercial air travel. Back then commercial air travel was still somewhat of a novelty, and the airlines went out of their way to make sure the experience was special, and not like riding a bus. Meals were served. Snacks were passed out. Drinks, non-alcoholic and alcoholic alike. There were many things that set the trip by air far apart from that on the ground in a bus.

will not buy a K3!

My first flights was when I was 5, just started school. From Essendon to one of Burnie or Devonport. It landed at the other one because the weather over Bass Strait was so bad. It was on a Vickers Viscount, 4 piston engine machine. Another memorable flight was the mail plane from Alice Springs to Ernabella via a list of places. At one strip, near Mt Conner (Uluru Ayers Rock - visible from 5000 feet) we got out and pumped fuel. The trip out was one a 2 engine machine and the return trip in a single engine one. Excitements like buzzing airstrips to get the cows off and the landings were fun. 5000 feet up to the runway, then a big U-turn like a fight pilot to drop tot he ground. Good way to overcome thermal turbulence on descent. Wish a few more pilots would do that. While we were there we heard the news about the killings at the Munich Olympics.

Racer, you should fly with an East Asian airline, the service is still like people who fly are a bit special. Just watch out for the dodgy ones.

The ride seems better on most Star Alliance carriers than the One World ones. The main carriers I travel with (SQ and UA) seem to have policy to go around bad weather so there is rarely an extended period of seat belts on (except for the 'cried wolf type') and very rarely a lengthy period of Dutch roll turbulence. NZ will give sustained Dutch roll (as in an hour) even with the pilot giving an announcement before leaving the gate! Reports from family who have travelled on CA are that it is always rough. QA moderately often (once every couple of years) injures passengers on the LAX SYD route, but UA has only got in the news once as I recall. Which policy is actually cheaper?

12-06-2014, 02:12 AM   #11837
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Racer, you hypocrite! You help make the damn things!!!!
Hypocrite?

Nah.

It really isn't the manufacturers fault that air travel today is nothing more than a bus ride in the sky. Can you blame Airbus or Boeing when companies like United have the attitude that so long as they can cram more people into an aluminum (or carbon fiber) tube than ever before, charge an arm & a leg, all the while yelling at them to stay in their seats, keep the seat belt on, turn off the damn cell phone and quit complaining?

Now if I could sit in the seat at the front (the cockpit) and drive the damn thing you can bet I would be right there!

Besides, it ain't like I don't have some experience flying large airplanes or nothing.

12-06-2014, 02:44 AM   #11838
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My apols.
Hypocrite was a bit harsh, perhaps.
(That's not Brand X painted on the plane I suppose?)
12-06-2014, 05:25 AM   #11839
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
...Besides, it ain't like I don't have some experience flying large airplanes or nothing.
So, that's you when you did the WWII bomber flight ... what's was it again, a B-__ ?! J

12-06-2014, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #11840
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
But in the meantime, haven't you been promoted to SENIOR MODERATOR?
I suspect that you use the term 'fault' modestly: what you may have meant (had you been less self conscious) was skill and tenacity.
I was bestowed with that title a few years ago. As to "fault", well, that was the term Ash used. (This was all in fun, btw.)
Now I ask you:
If an acorn falls from a tree and takes root in my yard it's not my fault, right? If I somehow swerve with the lawn mower at the exact right moment to avoid clipping the sprout it's not my fault, right? If I water, lay protective mulch at the roots, and fertilize that sappling is it actually my fault if it grows into to a mighty oak tree? (Even if I have been, admittedly, very liberal with the fertilizer? )
I submit that we all equally share in the blame/credit for this one.

The defense rests.

Last edited by Parallax; 12-06-2014 at 06:38 AM.
12-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #11841

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
f an acorn falls from a tree and takes root in my yard it's not my fault, right?
If the acorn fell from a neighbor's tree would it be his or her fault?
12-06-2014, 08:04 AM   #11842

But did it fall or was it pushed ? Deliberately ? By whom ?

12-06-2014, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #11843
Veteran Member

Humpty Dumpty was pushed!
12-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #11844
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Humpty Dumpty was pushed!
So then it is proved, the hen came before the egg!
12-06-2014, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #11845
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
... If an acorn falls from a tree and takes root in my yard it's not my fault, right? If I somehow swerve with the lawn mower at the exact right moment to avoid clipping the sprout it's not my fault, right? If I water, lay protective mulch at the roots, and fertilize that sappling is it actually my fault if it grows into to a mighty oak tree? ...
Impeccable logic, Dr. Spock ...

12-06-2014, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #11846
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Oh Great Parallax. You are the father of the Greatest Thread of Threads
Godfather. The father ditched out...

Steve
12-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #11847
Veteran Member

Highly logical? That's not relevant for this thread. This thread is about lutefisk and bacon.
12-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #11848
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
Highly logical? That's not relevant for this thread. This thread is about lutefisk and bacon.
Hey ... there's a fork there in the image !!!

Dat's gotta count fur sumthin' ...
12-06-2014, 10:56 AM   #11849
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
That is what they keep saying, but I have yet to see my bacon. I had cold cereal for breakfast.

Steve
12-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #11850
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Hey ... there's a fork there in the image !!!

Dat's gotta count fur sumthin' ...
That's a spork, one of those horrible camping inventions deigned to be a one piece of silverware to replace 3. Like it's the weight of your silverware that makes your pack heavy....