Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #12391
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Probably not...most are Old Apostolic Lutheran and abstinence from alcohol is part of the historic rational for the religion.
Don't you dare ruining my stereotypic views on Finns!

12-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #12392
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Uff da...

Steve
12-14-2014, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #12393
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Ya, sureyoubetcha. The Dakotas too, dontchaknow. ;l
Well half of my ancestors were from Norway and homesteaded in South Dakota. The other half were Finns from the woods who settled in the woods of Minnesota. The Norse were farmers from near Bergin and got tractored out in the Depression, then migrated east to Minneapolis and became soldiers in WW2 before failing as carpenters.

---------- Post added 12-14-14 at 04:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Explains why my Finnish ancestors were anti-organized religion. Wobblies one and all!
12-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #12394
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Ditto !!!

- Blazing Saddles, yet again.

---------- Post added 12-14-14 at 20:39 ----------

At least the Aztec did not have "bubble wrap/blister" door guards ... WTH(eck) ?!
How come those tires have the lettering in English? Shouldn't they be in French?

Like, BF Goodriche Tout-Terrain T/A maybe?

12-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #12395
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rants are part of the Internet forum culture...

Steve
Rants. Political correctness. Dog poop. All somewhat the same; you have to deal with them from the clean end but it's hard to know where to start.
12-14-2014, 04:38 PM   #12396
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Well half of my ancestors were from Norway and homesteaded in South Dakota. The other half were Finns from the woods who settled in the woods of Minnesota. The Norse were farmers from near Bergin and got tractored out in the Depression, then migrated east to Minneapolis and became soldiers in WW2 before failing as carpenters.
Wow, American ancestry stories always make for a good read. All I know is my paternal ancestors have been living in and around the same small Western German village for the last 400 years at least (probably longer) tending for the same small church. Maternal ancestors lived in the same formerly German (now Polish) area for a similar amount of time until they had to flee from the Red Army in 1945 and spread all over the Republic.
12-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #12397
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have no clue what I am or where I am from.

12-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #12398
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
All I know is my paternal ancestors have been living in and around the same small Western German village for the last 400 years at least (probably longer) tending for the same small church. Maternal ancestors lived in the same formerly German (now Polish) area for a similar amount of time until they had to flee from the Red Army in 1945 and spread all over the Republic.
I have always been envious of people who have their roots so closely concentrated like yours.

My family tree crumbles somewhere back about 150 years, in a Scottish Castle on my paternal side. My mom traced it back once, as my father really had no desire to bother. My dad's mother once said we have relatives in Scotland who supposedly own a castle or three, but have no clue as to our existence.

On the maternal side the lineage fizzles out somewhere in France, about 200 years ago.
12-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #12399
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I have no clue what I am or where I am from.
Well, based on your avatar, you are a confused young woman who likes r0ck music and resides in Texas.
12-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #12400
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Well, based on your avatar, you are a confused young woman who likes r0ck music and resides in Texas.
Based on avatar vs posts, I would say calling r0ckstarr "confused" is being charitable.
12-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #12401
Veteran Member

I agree...canned beets are oppressive. I feel the same about canned beats.

Steve (the oppressed)
I'm always amazed at how many people despise beets. I mean they're sweet, go great cold in salads, or hot with some butter. Next to carrots and potatoes they're one of my favorite root veggies actually. I've met quite a few people though that just cannot stand them. The only other veggie hate that I just don't get is tomatoes. I've met so many people that will not touch a raw tomato but who will eat them in spaghetti sauce or as ketchup with their FF's or whatever. The only veggies I truly loathe are the ones I also happen to be allergic to, as in they actually will make me very sick if I eat them. I'm talking Exorcist level vomiting here. It's that bad!

I've never been able to eat broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, spinach, kale, or cabbage/brussel's sprouts, collard greens, etc sans extreme nausea. I'm actually allergic. They did tests after I got violently ill trying to take one of those "live green" supplements that's supposed to contain all of them. I was iron poor and my doctor put me on one. Turns out there was a reason I never wanted to eat them as a kid. I'm pretty well convinced now that any instinctive loathing I had towards them was for good reason. I can just about manage a leaf or three of baby spinach if it's raw in a salad, but the adult spinach even raw it makes me very ill and I don't even mind it uncooked in a salad or whatever. I just can't tolerate it cooked. Ditto the rest, though I'm not too fond of any of that, even raw. I have trouble with most of the really dark greens, even salad greens.

The darkest lettuce I can eat comfortably sans nausea is butter lettuce. When it comes to green veggies I can eat peas, lima beans, green beans, green squash and that's about it and some of those are actually legumes not actual veggies. I like salads and stir fries very much actually but I'm kind of limited as to what I can put in them. I eat a lot of root veggies, turnips excluded, to make up for not eating so many greens. I like the yellows and reds most of them, except for peppers, which is probably a good thing not being able to eat much by way of green stuff. I'm admittedly a meat and potatoes kind of person though. I like my spuds, my carrots, and yes, my beets, though for the record I never eat them as Harvard Beets or as beet relish as my Mom was want to do. Harvard Beets, they're an utter abomination in so far as I am concerned, right up there with creamed carrots. Talk about spoiling the perfect veggie, ugh!!!!

Last edited by magkelly; 12-14-2014 at 06:13 PM.
12-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #12402
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay, I have a confession to make. I don't dislike beets, and I actually love beet tops, fixed a la spinach. It was just the first thing that came to mind for my metaphoric response to someone trolling the thread.
12-14-2014, 06:23 PM   #12403
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not into the family tree at all - who has time to trace dead people? - it's hard enough keeping up with the living!
My brother has done a fair bit of work and at last count had 2 or 3 thousand names on the tree - not very deep roots though: just back to those who immigrated from Germany, England and Scotland a few generations ago.
On the other hand a niece of my wife traced one line of the family back to William The Conqueror (who invaded England in 1066) and some Gaulic/French dude who was King of Jerusalem in 936 or thereabouts.
12-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #12404
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
. The only other veggie hate that I just don't get is tomatoes. I've met so many people that will not touch a raw tomato but who will eat them in spaghetti sauce or as ketchup with their FF's or whatever.
I have always liked tomatoes. Raw and cooked.

But I absolutely despise catchup. Or ketchup. However you spell it, it is still not a vegetable.

Ronald Regan was wrong!
12-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #12405
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Or ketchup. However you spell it, it is still not a vegetable.
A friend's teenager went to camp.
On returning home he was asked if he had eaten any fruit: Reply "Does tomato sauce count?"
For our septic friends - sauce in Australia = ketchup in the States.

Last edited by rod_grant; 12-14-2014 at 07:37 PM.