Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2014, 12:06 PM - 2 Likes   #12541
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am no feminist but why do all these old biographies of famous women have to end with some reference to a man they were related to or married to? Who cares? Was her creativity a gift from this guy?

12-16-2014, 12:06 PM - 2 Likes   #12542
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Oh, and how about a Bacon Bowl?

12-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #12543
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wish I could eat bacon raw so that I didn't have to wait for it to cook.
12-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #12544
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Poor hociR ... 9,999.00€ is a bit steep for a DA 21 ...

Objectif DA 21mm f/3.2 AL Limited
I think they are going for rebound sales on the 12-24 shown below it which is made to look like great value at 999.

12-16-2014, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #12545
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I am no feminist but why do all these old biographies of famous women have to end with some reference to a man they were related to or married to? Who cares? Was her creativity a gift from this guy?
Nope. The sole reason he was included here was because of the name he carries. Had he been Leonard Broccoli he would definitely not have been mentioned!

Of course, I could have phrased it something like "Congregational Minister Leonard Bacon was a brother of Delia". It's, umm, interesting how women are related to, or relatives of, men, but rarely the other way around. And how women are most often mentioned in the passive while men are much more often portrayed as active - even grammatically.
12-16-2014, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #12546
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Oh, and how about a Bacon Bowl?
Who's playing in the Bacon Bowl this year ... and when is it ?!

WAC vs. SEC ?
Big 12 vs. Big 10 ?
Notre Dame vs. anybody ... ?!

NB - I have not followed the college season well this year ... OU kind of stunk it up.
12-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #12547
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Abel Tasman was Dutch and he got an island named after him! That's a win, of sorts.
That was a mistake. I mean, would anyone want find Tasmania on purpose?

---------- Post added 12-16-14 at 06:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Umm, I can't remember.
Jac did mention that Mrs Jac (IIRC), was 4'9'' and lighter than his tripod and had blown away, but that wasn't a marital relations issue.
It will if I can't prove that I looked for her hard enough after the Spring melt in mid-July. She's one tough l'il Inuk.

Last edited by jac; 12-16-2014 at 04:22 PM.
12-16-2014, 06:47 PM - 3 Likes   #12548
Veteran Member

Bacon trivias (stolen somewhere...)

A survey conducted by Maple Leaf Foods found 43 percent of people would rather eat bacon than have sex, 23 percent of men ranked bacon as their favorite fragrance and 23 percent wonder if their partner loves bacon more than them.

The word “bacon” comes from the German word bacho, which means buttocks.

St. Anthony The Abbott is known as The Patron Saint of Bacon. Also known as Saint Anthony the Great, he is the patron saint of pigs, swine herders and butchers.

The BLT (bacon, lettuce and tomato) sandwich became popular when fresh lettuce and tomatoes became available year round with the rapid expansion of supermarkets after World War II.

Bacon is healthier than hotdogs, hamburgers and glazed donuts in terms of calories, fat and cholesterol.

Bacon was a sign of wealth. In the 16th century European peasants would proudly display the small amounts of bacon they could afford. In the 19th and early 20th century bacon was often used as part or all of a person’s wages.

In the 12th century bacon was given as a reward to any married man in the English town of Dunmow who could swear before the church that he had not quarreled with his wife for a year and a day.

The average American eats 17.9 pounds of bacon per year. By comparison, the average Brit consumes 17.8 pounds of bacon. In the United Kingdom, bacon is purchased by 90.4% of households.

Bacon is made from a pig’s belly. Although bacon can come from a pig’s side and back, most of the bacon sold in the US is made from the cured belly of a hog.

Bacon is the least popular breakfast meat. Although Americans appear to be having a love affair with bacon and bacon flavored products, it actually ranks third in popularity among breakfast meats. Ham is the most popular pork product followed by sausage and then bacon.

Canadian bacon is not really bacon. It’s a fully cooked, smoked pork loin similar to ham.

Bacon can cause migraines. Bacon, salami, pepperoni and other processed meats have high levels of nitrates, which can trigger migraines in some people. These foods can dilate blood vessels, causing a pain message to be sent to the brain.

A life-sized bust of Kevin Bacon was made out of bacon bits. In 2010 the owners of J&D’s Foods – which makes bacon salt – hired sculptor Mike LaHue to make the bust to raise money for a childhood cancer charity. LaHue made bacon Kevin Bacon in three months, using about seven bottles of bacon bits.

Eating a bacon sandwich can cure a hangover. Bacon contains high levels of amines while bread is high in carbohydrates. When eaten together, they break down into amino acids and help to clear your head and boost your metabolism after a night of binge drinking.

Bacon cologne was first introduced in 1920. By accident, a Parisian butcher named John Farigginay blended 11 popular pure essential oils with the essence of bacon and a bacon fragrance was born. Today bacon lovers can also buy bacon mouthwash, bacon soda, bacon gumballs and bacon chocolate.

Last edited by drypenn; 12-16-2014 at 08:05 PM.
12-16-2014, 07:46 PM - 2 Likes   #12549
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
Bacon trivias (stolen somewhere...)

A survey conducted by Maple Leaf Foods found 43 percent of people would rather eat bacon than have sex
In the 12th century bacon was given as a reward to any married man in the English town of Dunmow who could swear before the church that he had not quarreled with his wife for a year and a day.
I would refrain from quarreling with my hubs for a year and a day if it was the 12th century and it meant I could have access to bacon. As an added benefit, my delayed passive aggressive revenge would be to tell him, "Sorry, not tonight - we've got bacon."
12-16-2014, 10:48 PM   #12550
Veteran Member

What if the next Pentax camera will be branded as?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D70  Photo 
12-17-2014, 01:30 AM   #12551
Veteran Member

What if the next Pentax camera will be branded as?

Then I would be forced to switch brands.
12-17-2014, 02:12 AM   #12552
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I am an above average American.

I consume well over 25 pounds of bacon annually.
12-17-2014, 03:33 AM - 2 Likes   #12553
Pentaxian

Bacon trivias (stolen somewhere...) ...

Bacon cologne was first introduced in 1920. By accident, a Parisian butcher named John Farigginay blended 11 popular pure essential oils with the essence of bacon and a bacon fragrance was born. Today bacon lovers can also buy bacon mouthwash, bacon soda, bacon gumballs and bacon chocolate.
Sad and regrettable. This does not mention the presence of his faithful assistant, Ursula von Bûlshïtté ...

http://www.fargginay.com/story
12-17-2014, 03:37 AM   #12554
Veteran Member

Sad and regrettable. This does not mention the presence of his faithful assistant, Ursula von Bûlshïtté ...
12-17-2014, 03:45 AM   #12555
Veteran Member

Well, not sure that I'd go that far in my analysis , but glad that you noticed all those silly GoPro's ...

And that's why I won't buy a K-3 TM ... because I need the funds to outfit the Espace with a roof rack full of GoPro's ...
I was in a European city last year, and they held this dance music festival - the big issue was the drugs at the festival. I saw this foreign youngster high as a kite at the supermarket checkout, he was twitching and hyped up on something, and he even gave the local language a try.

Anyway, thats the story. The dance music festival or raves scene is pretty huge in Europe and they are synonymous with drug abuse. I think extacy is the current drug which is the most popular among these hipsters. (If you didn't know this you're living under a rock ! Its pretty bad)

So where does all this fit in with this car ? The pill packet plastic moulding, with one final pill in it ....... the Cactus pill. Take this one and you'll be cactus .......so buy a Cactus if you want excitement.

I think I know the European mentality fairly well, and if a car manufacturer did something like this in Australia, folks would come down pretty hard on the manufacturer. You know, trying to discourage pill taking, by offering an exciting car for young hipsters.

If Citroen really cared about the youth, they wouldn't try to profiteer or use or imply something like this over a car. Perhaps Citroen should use some of their profits and invest them in anti-drug campaigns or drug rehabilitation.

But thats how I see the design, and how they use the use of drugs for marketing, or making a car to appeal to a segment as to discourage them from using drugs.

I mean the gopro's on the roof ..... whats that supposed to be, a google earth car !! lol I take it you have to go around and individually switch them on before you commence your drive to the supermarket. Then if you go to the local pills sellers, the cops will have plenty of evidence as to where you get your gear from if you get busted !

And folks at Pentax forums think Pentax has some pretty out there designs or concepts.