Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2014, 09:31 PM   #12976
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a friend who only eats it extra extra well done. He then drowns it in A1. He asked me one time why my steak is over twice as thick as his. I laughed.

12-24-2014, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #12977
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I have a friend who only eats it extra extra well done. He then drowns it in A1.
That is a waste of good steak. He should not be allowed to even eat steak if that's the way he's going to eat it. And A1? Once you put that on, all you taste is A1. A properly cooked steak makes its own sauce.
12-24-2014, 09:44 PM   #12978
Veteran Member

Ugh, you might as well just take the whole bottle and pour it on a really bad fast food hamburger for all it matters. I don't even much like steak sauce actually. I don't think a good steak really needs anything else. My Dad likes his fried mushrooms and onions with, but I'm kind of a purist about that really. I like a little real garlic and some butter in the pan, a bit of salt, a bit of pepper, that's it. Anything more and it's probably not a great cut of meat anyway. The only other thing I like with my steak is potatoes and occasionally carrots...
12-24-2014, 09:48 PM   #12979
Site Supporter

He actually thinks cube steak is the best...

12-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #12980
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I like a little real garlic and some butter in the pan, a bit of salt, a bit of pepper, that's it.
That's the best way to do it. Keep it basic and it turns out excellent.
12-24-2014, 10:11 PM   #12981
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
That's the best way to do it. Keep it basic and it turns out excellent.

Use olive oil for unadulterated beef taste. Butter ruins it.
12-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #12982
Site Supporter

My favorite way is to mix up some ginger, salt, pepper, garlic, and a touch of curry powder and then sprinkle it on the meat, then grill it in a charcoal grill for 10 or so minutes where the outside is done and the middle 2/3 of the steak are pink, then let it settle on a plate for 5 minutes after I pull it. It is juicy and perfect.

12-24-2014, 10:14 PM   #12983
Veteran Member

My favorite way is to mix up some ginger, salt, pepper, garlic, and a touch of curry powder and then sprinkle it on the meat, then grill it in a charcoal grill for 10 or so minutes where the outside is done and the middle 2/3 of the steak are pink, then let it settle on a plate for 5 minutes after I pull it. It is juicy and perfect.

Sounds good and yummy!
12-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #12984
Veteran Member

If I have the time, in a day or two, i'm going to make a bacon wrapped pork tenderloin on the BBQ.

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
Yep. Olive Oil works too, though I rarely ever cook a steak in a pan. Always on the BBQ.

---------- Post added 12-24-14 at 11:20 PM ----------

grill it in a charcoal grill for 10 or so minutes where the outside is done and the middle 2/3 of the steak are pink, then let it settle on a plate for 5 minutes after I pull it. It is juicy and perfect.

How I do it.

Get the fire hot. Slap steak down right over the coals. Time it for exactly 5mins. Flip. Go another 4 exactly and remove it. Wait 3mins and eat it. I don't go for pink inside. I go for nearly raw, and not too hot to eat.

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 12-24-2014 at 10:21 PM.
12-24-2014, 10:21 PM   #12985
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Yep. Olive Oil works too, though I rarely ever cook a steak in a pan. Always on the BBQ.

---------- Post added 12-24-14 at 11:20 PM ----------

How I do it.

Get the fire hot. Slap steak down right over the coals. Time it for exactly 5mins. Flip. Go another 4 exactly and remove it. Wait 3mins and eat it. I don't go for pink inside. I go for nearly raw, and not too hot to eat.
Agree, steaks with grill marks and some burnt taste, while served raw-medium (my preference) definitely tastes better!
12-24-2014, 10:28 PM   #12986
Veteran Member

When I was a kid growing up I taught myself to cook but I was never very good at it. So my Dad never thought much of my cooking as an adult as a result. When he got sick and I got sick and I came back here to look after him and hopefully get better myself I started cooking for him pretty regularly. He's a really picky eater in general but even he will admit that I can COOK now. First time I made him a steak he was like WTH? Big surprise how good it was apparently, laugh. Now he won't even go out to the local steak places anymore because and I quote "Why should I pay to go out when you do it so much better?"

I'm making him lamb chops tonight, his request, and having a NY Strip if my stomach will let me. I don't do lamb. I just don't like the taste of it. We're also having sweet potatoes with brown sugar, spices, and other stuff, also his request as he likes my variant on that and we haven't had it this year I don't think. He's already said he's not much into more veggies really and I'm not up to salad so probably that's it other than brownies with vanilla ice cream later. I hope I am up to it. Otherwise I am going to have to freeze that steak and that would suck...

---------- Post added 12-25-14 at 12:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
Um, kind of disagree there. I really don't like olive oil much for cooking meat. I'm a REAL butter freak and I like the beef and garlic butter thing. I don't have a grill. Not allowed here, and those Foreman Grills don't count. I wish I had a real one. I miss that, cooking steak and shrimp on one. Cast iron pan is pretty good though....
12-24-2014, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #12987
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Merry Christmas to you Tim!

Racer, thanks for the proper greeting.

The moderator wanted to know what I got. A book about Alan Turing. I got a couple of opportunities to wheel out the camera with the SMCTak 35/3.5 on it and push the button.
12-24-2014, 11:26 PM   #12988
Veteran Member

Alan Turning the Enigma, perchance? I just got that one. It's on my reader but I haven't gotten to it as yet. I've read a couple on him. I saw Derek Jacobi do the play Breaking The Code. It was brilliant and made me curious about him.
12-24-2014, 11:37 PM   #12989
Pentaxian

Alan Turning the Enigma, perchance? I just got that one. It's on my reader but I haven't gotten to it as yet. I've read a couple on him. I saw Derek Jacobi do the play Breaking The Code. It was brilliant and made me curious about him.

Mag you got the book. Quite thick in the paper version.

I was just reading the learned discourse about extra well done steak and A1.

I like mine on the rare side but already dead and dressed is OK.
12-25-2014, 12:02 AM   #12990
Veteran Member

and those Foreman Grills don't count.
Speaking of Foreman grill, you can cook a decent NY Strip on one. I get the small ones (2 in a pack) that are a little less than an inch thick for around $10. Turn the Foreman grill on and let it reach it's hottest temp. Then put them on for 4mins and done. Put the steaks on a plate and dump the juice collection tray right on top of them.