Loyal Site Supporter

Cute cat ! Lol

01-10-2015, 02:36 AM   #13412
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I bet your co-workers didn't do the paint job!
It is entirely possible that the planes owned by that airline have been repainted since new. But every plane that rolls out of the final assembly hangar bears whatever finish the customer wishes before it is delivered.

I have lived and worked near the factory I now work in since 1970. Over the years I have passed by the place many thousands of times, and seen many liveries. Even though I have stopped a few times where I could see and photograph some, I can't help but wish I had stopped and made photos of more. It has always awed me how many different ways people can throw paint on something in so many interesting combinations of color and pattern.

And since they were originally manufactured there, every now and then the 747 aircraft used for the Air Force One fleet are flown in for whatever it is that gets done that the Air Force can't or doesn't do in the SAC base in Nebraska where they maintain them.

A friend who used to work at one of the delivery centers that my employer has told me when an airline takes delivery a full crew is flown in, boards the plane and the very first flight is directly to the nearest airport they operate out of to take on the first load of passengers or freight. After the customer makes the final inspection the plane is fueled, the crew boards and prepares for flight, is pushed away and takes to the skies.
01-10-2015, 02:52 AM   #13413
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Nope. Was only joking about Bob Dylan. My "Who" was in reference to the Lilly Tomlin talk we had a few pages back.

01-10-2015, 02:54 AM   #13414
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

And let's not forget Ernestine.

01-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #13415
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

A friend who used to work at one of the delivery centers that my employer has told me when an airline takes delivery a full crew is flown in, boards the plane and the very first flight is directly to the nearest airport they operate out of to take on the first load of passengers or freight. After the customer makes the final inspection the plane is fueled, the crew boards and prepares for flight, is pushed away and takes to the skies.
So that trip from the manufacturer to the nearest airport is the first test flight?
01-10-2015, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #13416
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
So that trip from the manufacturer to the nearest airport is the first test flight?
No, by the time the planes are ready for delivery they have been through functional checks of every system, including the first shakedown flight(s). Usually they have flown at least once before the final painting is done. For the all aluminum models they may appear odd to those who are unfamiliar with the manufacturing process. Until they are painted any exterior aluminum surfaces are coated with a green protective "finish". This is removed just prior to the prep for paint in the paint hangar.

The 787 Dreamliner is assembled from components manufactured in many different parts of the world which are then shipped to one of two final assembly points, Charleston, South Carolina, and Everett, Washington. The majority of those components are delivered with whatever base finish that is specified by the customer. Those components that are not yet finished are coated with a UV protective coating, to prevent damage to the carbon fiber structure until the final finish is applied.

I know that some planes are flown elsewhere for the final paint, and then returned to the delivery center to get a final once over before getting handed over to the customer.

I guess when a customer is spending close to $300,000,000 for an airplane they get whatever they want, eh?

Last edited by Racer X 69; 01-11-2015 at 03:48 PM. Reason: . . . . . ,000!
01-10-2015, 10:14 AM   #13417
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Until they are painted any exterior aluminum surfaces are coated with a green protective "finish". This is removed just prior to the prep for paint in the paint hangar.
Most people don't realize that aluminum oxidizes; and it does so quite rapidly. It is a very thin layer, and discolors the metal very little so is nearly invisible. Except under extreme conditions it remains superficial and does no harm but it really interferes with paint being able to stick.

For bonus points: What common gemstone is made of aluminum oxide, and what's its hardness on the Mohs scale?

Last edited by Parallax; 01-10-2015 at 10:19 AM.
01-10-2015, 11:32 AM - 2 Likes   #13418
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No, that is PF (pomme frites)...

Steve
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ! (add thick French accent)

---------- Post added 01-10-15 at 19:33 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I approve of cat pics.
01-10-2015, 11:46 AM - 3 Likes   #13419
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's one of my two cats. He's a19lb Maine Coon
01-10-2015, 12:34 PM   #13420
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Most people don't realize that aluminum oxidizes; and it does so quite rapidly. It is a very thin layer, and discolors the metal very little so is nearly invisible. Except under extreme conditions it remains superficial and does no harm but it really interferes with paint being able to stick.

For bonus points: What common gemstone is made of aluminum oxide, and what's its hardness on the Mohs scale?
What is sapphire?

Don't know its hardness on a scale, but it's up there with diamond, isn't it?
01-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #13421
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Sapphire is about 9-9.2 and Diamond is 10 on the Mohs scale.
01-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #13422
Pentaxian

Here's one of my two cats. He's a19lb Maine Coon
Kitten torture ... as the previous one, another SMC F 35-70/3.5-4.5 ... oops, gear talk

01-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #13423
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

It's amazing what pets will tolerate from kids that and adult wouldn't get away with, isn't it?
01-10-2015, 12:58 PM   #13424
Pentaxian

It's amazing what pets will tolerate from kids that and adult wouldn't get away with, isn't it?
Oui ... and it's still going on. But, not quite to that degree ... thankfully.

---------- Post added 01-10-15 at 21:06 ----------

And let's not forget Ernestine.
Lily is great ...
01-10-2015, 01:34 PM   #13425
Pentaxian

Sapphire and 9 if I recall my long ago mineralogy class correctly...

Jim