Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2015, 01:49 PM   #13426
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Sapphire and 9 if I recall my long ago mineralogy class correctly...

Jim
You get the gold star, Jim, for answering the whole question.

01-10-2015, 02:01 PM   #13427
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I guess when a customer is spending close to $300,000 for an airplane they get whatever they want, eh?

I think you had three missing nothings in that number.

Gone are the days of the "they can have it in any colour they like so long as it is black", except if you are a famous fizzy drink producer.

---------- Post added 01-11-15 at 07:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Most people don't realize that aluminum oxidizes; and it does so quite rapidly. It is a very thin layer, and discolors the metal very little so is nearly invisible. Except under extreme conditions it remains superficial and does no harm but it really interferes with paint being able to stick.

For bonus points: What common gemstone is made of aluminum oxide, and what's its hardness on the Mohs scale?

The oxidization is significant in the electrical supply industry. The Al cables are jointed with AL compression fittings. Immediately before assembly the cable is wire-brushed with conductive grease covered wire brush. The grease is to stop the oxidization happening in the time it takes to insert the cable to the fitting (which can have its internal surface treated at the factory) and crimping. The oxidiation would result in losses and unnecessary heat build up. The wire brush used for this process must never contact copper cables to avoid dissimilar metal corrosion effects.
01-10-2015, 03:48 PM - 5 Likes   #13428
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I think you had three missing nothings in that number.
That's just the cost of painting it. Normally, it can be 100k to 200k but in S. Africa and Australia the special coditions of having to paint upside down substantially increases the cost. Spillage from the paint cans alone creates a tremendous Increase in overhead. (Just painting hociR backwards on a K3 adds $200 per unit)

Which is why I will not not buy a black K3.
01-10-2015, 10:40 PM   #13429
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
That's just the cost of painting it. Normally, it can be 100k to 200k but in S. Africa and Australia the special coditions of having to paint upside down substantially increases the cost. Spillage from the paint cans alone creates a tremendous Increase in overhead. (Just painting hociR backwards on a K3 adds $200 per unit)

Which is why I will not not buy a black K3.

I said before, we are the right way up. This is demonstrated by the fact that we need to use a proper implement to spread the paint. I suppose that does add overhead over it just falling out of the can onto the work.

01-10-2015, 11:31 PM   #13430
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You get the gold star, Jim, for answering the whole question.
Ooooooh shiny!

Just watched the Seahawks stomp the Panthers out of the playoffs, they deserve one too 😎

Jim
01-11-2015, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #13431
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gone are the days of the "they can have it in any colour they like so long as it is black", except if you are a famous fizzy drink producer.[COLOR="Silver"]
As I often do when the "any colour so long as it's black" quote is used, I will take this opportunity to note that Model T Fords came in a variety of colours. Many Model T's were black. The early 1909 models were red and grey, but in the middle of 1909 the main colour changed to dark green. During December 1910 and January, 1911, the dark green in turn was changed to a dark, midnight blue. Finally, in late 1914 to early 1915 the blues were replaced with just plain black on the open cars. From this point until the introduction of the “Improved Models” which appeared in August 1925, black was the standard colour. (But not the only colour) There is no evidence that Henry Ford ever said: “You can have it in any colour, so long as it’s black.”

Model T’s were available in: (Variously, over the model years from 1908 until 1927)
Red, Green, Grey, Brewster Green, Midnight Blue, Commercial Green, Channel Green, Windsor Maroon, Drake Green, Highland Green, Phoenix Brown, Gunmetal Blue, Moleskin and Royal Maroon. Therefore, a minimum of 14 colours. Because of the variation between batches of early colours it’s possible that there were more colours than this.
01-11-2015, 02:48 AM   #13432
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
As I often do when the "any colour so long as it's black" quote is used, I will take this opportunity to note that Model T Fords came in a variety of colours. Many Model T's were black. The early 1909 models were red and grey, but in the middle of 1909 the main colour changed to dark green. During December 1910 and January, 1911, the dark green in turn was changed to a dark, midnight blue. Finally, in late 1914 to early 1915 the blues were replaced with just plain black on the open cars. From this point until the introduction of the “Improved Models” which appeared in August 1925, black was the standard colour. (But not the only colour) There is no evidence that Henry Ford ever said: “You can have it in any colour, so long as it’s black.”

Model T’s were available in: (Variously, over the model years from 1908 until 1927)
Red, Green, Grey, Brewster Green, Midnight Blue, Commercial Green, Channel Green, Windsor Maroon, Drake Green, Highland Green, Phoenix Brown, Gunmetal Blue, Moleskin and Royal Maroon. Therefore, a minimum of 14 colours. Because of the variation between batches of early colours it’s possible that there were more colours than this.

Thanks. The only time I seriously use the quote is when serving a certain famous brand of cola which is shipped in the red label bottle, in its classic version. And that is a play on a TV ad when I was young advertising cordial for children (ad ran during children's shows, claiming "available in all your favourite colours". I think that was the Cottees brand.

Interesting range of colours - and I would agree that it is likely that batches of paint came in variations of each of the colours but they probably maintained the same name and they were near enough unless placed immediately next to each other.

01-11-2015, 02:57 AM   #13433
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. The only time I seriously use the quote is when serving a certain famous brand of cola which is shipped in the red label bottle, in its classic version. And that is a play on a TV ad when I was young advertising cordial for children (ad ran during children's shows, claiming "available in all your favourite colours". I think that was the Cottees brand.

Interesting range of colours - and I would agree that it is likely that batches of paint came in variations of each of the colours but they probably maintained the same name and they were near enough unless placed immediately next to each other.
Yeah, don't mind me! I just like to dispel the myth. I'm particularly fond of "Vanilla Coke".
01-11-2015, 04:08 AM   #13434
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yeah, don't mind me! I just like to dispel the myth. I'm particularly fond of "Vanilla Coke".
That's illegal where I live ... things seem to be a bit upside-down there down-under ...
01-11-2015, 04:13 AM   #13435
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
That's illegal where I live
Certainly illegal in my house (where I make the laws!)
I don't drink a lot of soft drink but if it is cola it hast to be Pepsi.
I know it is not the 'real thing' but it is better!

---------- Post added 01-11-2015 at 10:14 PM ----------

...and I would like to hear how jac thinks we pour any sort of drink from a bottle into a glass, done here under.
01-11-2015, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #13436
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Certainly illegal in my house (where I make the laws!)
I don't drink a lot of soft drink but if it is cola it hast to be Pepsi.
I know it is not the 'real thing' but it is better!

---------- Post added 01-11-2015 at 10:14 PM ----------

...and I would like to hear how jac thinks we pour any sort of drink from a bottle into a glass, done here under.
Oh.

Soft drink(s) ... sorry & never mind.
01-11-2015, 08:09 AM   #13437
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh.

Soft drink(s) ... sorry & never mind.
01-11-2015, 08:12 AM   #13438
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote

[/COLOR]...and I would like to hear how jac thinks we pour any sort of drink from a bottle into a glass, done here under.
Does this make you feel better. We're all squishy but Australia looks appropriately important.
Attached Images

01-11-2015, 08:22 AM   #13439
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Does this make you feel better. We're all squishy but Australia looks appropriately important.
Yes ... and they are in the middle of the map.

I liked the maps of the globe we had in school with the good ol' USA smack dab in the middle ... with of course, Russia cut in two. It was the cold war after all. Something like this.

Remember that it was Al Gore who created the Internet.

Ooooooooops, politics ... désolé

01-11-2015, 08:36 AM   #13440
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Remember that it was Al Gore who created the Internet.

Ooooooooops, politics ... désolé
That's not politcs. That would be a discussion on aberrant psychology.