Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #13501
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
We pay enough taxes, I don't think there are additional taxes for studded tires here. They just replace the road surface every few years on heavily used asphalt roads; concrete and cobblestone lasts a lot longer. In fact, some of the cobblestone streets in Helsinki are a few hundred years old. We also have engine block heaters and interior heaters in our cars to warm them up before we drive. Many parking lots have 230V/10A power sockets for every car for this purpose or you can get a fully self-contained heating unit that doesn't need electricity and you can turn it on from your phone or a remote.
All true over side of the border, too - but I'll still exercise my right to hate anything and everything having to do with winter

Well, both you and the Swedes are better at maintaining your roads than we are, for some reason.

01-13-2015, 02:47 PM   #13502
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That's the way things are in Fairbanks. You would have an engine block heater, electric battery blanket, and an A.C. interior heater. For those of you from the tropics; the interior heater is necessary to keep the plastics and vinyl surfaces of the interior from cracking.
Who gives a rats ass about the plastics?! It's my buttocks I fear for.
01-13-2015, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #13503
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Who gives a rats ass about the plastics?! It's my buttocks I fear for.
Broken, frozen vinyl seats will shred your buttocks in no time! (luckily nobody makes vinyl seats any more!)
01-13-2015, 02:53 PM   #13504
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Broken, frozen vinyl seats will shred your buttocks in no time! (luckily nobody makes vinyl seats any more!)

Good point!

01-13-2015, 02:53 PM   #13505
Veteran Member

You would have an engine block heater, electric battery blanket, and an A.C. interior heater.
I'm pumping about 1800 watts into my car for 2 hours, twice a day. And it's NOT a plug-in hybrid!
01-13-2015, 03:01 PM   #13506
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums

Thanks a lot for the image...
You're welcome!

I think the word you're looking for is bakkie
Yes, in Afrikaans. But in New Zealand and Australia, it is ute.

Here in the US it is pick up {truck}.

Oh, and if I haven't said it before: nice car!
Thank you!
01-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #13507
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Yes, in Afrikaans. But in New Zealand and Australia, it is ute.

Here in the US it is pick up {truck}.
Pretty much all over Southern Africa, really, but sure, it started with the Afrikaaners.

And in Norwegian it's actually... pick-up

01-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #13508
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Some things are better left unread.
And obviously some people have no taste (Which helps when eating igunaq. No sense of smell is a benefit as well.)

---------- Post added 01-13-15 at 06:15 PM ----------

Similar here in Helsinki, a week ago it was -20c, then we got about 15cm snow, it warmed up and now it's +3c. I would much prefer it to be -10c than all this see-saw weather. The whole freeze-thaw cycle sucks to be honest, especially when they don't clean the streets on a regular basis.
We're running a nice comfortable -26 to -28 every day c/w wind and snow.
01-13-2015, 04:34 PM   #13509
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty much all over Southern Africa, really, but sure, it started with the Afrikaaners.
No idea how they got to "bakkie", which means "small dish". Afrikaans stems from (mostly) Dutch with a bit of other languages thrown in, but the Dutch certainly do not use the word "bakkie" for a ute. (Utility vehicle)

Both in South Africa and here in New Zealand, the usage of words around car terminology can be quite different from the USA: (I prefer the USA terminology - possibly because I've owned a number of American cars.)

UK / RSA / NZ USA
bonnet hood
hood top
petrol gasoline/gas
hub cap wheel cover
boot trunk
cubby hole glove compartment
pavement sidewalk
reverse back up

It's a strange world we live in.

---------- Post added 01-14-15 at 12:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
We vacationed once in Corsica and I may have mistaken this for road kill in a supermarket cheese counter.
I'm pleased to say I like blue cheese, and even a ripe brie, but this takes it too far!
01-13-2015, 04:48 PM   #13510
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And then you get an extra tax if you have studded tires...
Every Province and Territory in Canada allows the use of studded tires at some time during the year. (Many ban them between April and October.) in some areas, winter tires and even studs are obligatory. But in Southern Ontario you can only use studs if you are a visitor and then only if they are Scadinavian light weight studs. I believe these to be fabricated by embedding lutefisk in the tire treads but could be mistaken.
01-13-2015, 05:43 PM   #13511
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't have any idea what you all are talking about with studs, but then again, I've been drinking Single Malt for 3 hours now.
01-13-2015, 06:36 PM - 2 Likes   #13512
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I don't have any idea what you all are talking about with studs, but then again, I've been drinking Single Malt for 3 hours now.
You and Rupert may not believe this but there is a whole, wide world beyond the borders of the Lone Star. In Canada, we've even been known to have campfires on frozen lakes.
01-13-2015, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #13513
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the word you're looking for is bakkie
Que??

---------- Post added 01-14-2015 at 01:32 PM ----------

Maybe if you're hanging upside-down
Go back a couple of pages and look at the map!

---------- Post added 01-14-2015 at 01:38 PM ----------

the interior heater is necessary to keep the plastics and vinyl surfaces of the interior from cracking.
Plastic & vinyl cracks in the sun in sunny "downunder" (are we now to be called "upover" given the corrections made to the maps.)
01-13-2015, 10:31 PM   #13514
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Every Province and Territory in Canada allows the use of studded tires at some time during the year. (Many ban them between April and October.) in some areas, winter tires and even studs are obligatory. But in Southern Ontario you can only use studs if you are a visitor and then only if they are Scadinavian light weight studs. I believe these to be fabricated by embedding lutefisk in the tire treads but could be mistaken.
Winter tires are mandatory in southern Finland from Nov 1 until the end of March. Studs are not required, but most people use them because they work better in more conditions than unstudded tires. So-called "friction" tires (unstudded) have gotten more popular but I have never used them. In the south where I live the weather changes a lot and friction tires just don't work as well with our changing road conditions.
01-13-2015, 10:46 PM   #13515
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This thread failed me I've given in and ordered a K3. It should arrive by Monday or Tuesday.