Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #13546
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the pics of the studded tyres.
In 67 years I have never seen such things. (Well I might have in the first year, but I certainly don't remember!)
Just shows what a sheltered life we live here upover.

01-14-2015, 01:54 PM   #13547
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Thanks for the pics of the studded tyres.
In 67 years I have never seen such things. (Well I might have in the first year, but I certainly don't remember!)
Just shows what a sheltered life we live here upover.
Those are for offroad racing, not street use. Here is what we use on the road in winter (left two are un-studded "friction" tires, two on the right fully studded):
Attached Images

01-14-2015, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #13548
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
And we all know about "stuff". George told us so.

Stuff is a wonderful English word, with quite old origins. Stuff was considered a formal word in 1611, used in KJV (sorry religious reference), to mean both things and material. The only other English word with this meaning is the poncy French origin word "materiel".

Every other word in English refers to either things or to materials, but not both in one word. The tyranny of the division between count and mass nouns!
01-14-2015, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #13549
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What kind of American cars?
I have owned several '57 Fords - Two Custom 300's and a Ranchero. Also, a Ford F-100 pick-up truck and an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme wagon.

Were they converted to right hand drive?
The Custom 300's and the Ranchero were all factory RHD, manufactured in Canada for export to South Africa, so shipped in knock-down form with final assembly in Ford factory, Port Elizabeth, South Africa, to circumvent the complete vehicle importation rules. Interestingly, you see a fair number of both LHD and RHD USA cars in South Africa of 1947-1948 model years and 1958 model years - more than other years. This is because the government temporarily relaxed the importation rules because they needed new VIP cars for government use. Many ordinary people bought cars in the same years that were not subjected to the usual restrictions.

The F-100 was RHD, made in Port Elizabeth, from a mix of local and imported parts. The Oldsmobile was LHD, and remained that way.

You are unique in that you use the US lingo like you do.
Interesting how for some the hood is the roof, and for others it is the portion of the car that covers the engine compartment (when the engine is in the front).
I did not know that.

Well, gasoline is a petroleum derivative. And in some places don't they call it benzine?
I know gasoline was originally called "motor spirit" (As in Pegasus Motor Spirit, now Mobil.- Originally, only the oil went by the name Mobil, as in Mobiloil.) Benzine is still used in some markets.

Actually I have used hub cap most of my days. Sure, I have used wheel cover, but very rarely. Yep, hub cap it is for me, as it usually covers the hub. I suppose that if it is used in the center, and does not go fully to the edges of the wheel it can be just a hub cap. Conversely, if it covers the entire wheel then it would be a wheel cover. This could actually be used universally, everywhere.
The motoring parts books and workshop manuals seem to prefer wheel cover for the thing that covers most of the wheel, while hub cap seems to be only the very small cap that, quite literally, covers the hub and hub nut.

When I had a car (sedan) that had a trunk I would place my boots in it, rather than on the floor behind the front seat. But my current daily driver is a Subaru Legacy wagon, and it does not have a trunk.
It's not an elephant then! LOL.

Over the course of my life I have heard both terms used. My dad used them interchangeably.
I've not heard cubby hole used in the USA, but there you go!

I would think one may have trouble with the police if they were driving on the sidewalk. Best to keep the wheels on the pavement!
Here, you drive on the "road" and walk on the "pavement"! If you drive on the pavement here, you'll have to pay the local constabulary some money!

---------- Post added 01-15-15 at 01:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Stuff is a wonderful English word, with quite old origins. Stuff was considered a formal word in 1611, used in KJV (sorry religious reference), to mean both things and material. The only other English word with this meaning is the poncy French origin word "materiel".

Every other word in English refers to either things or to materials, but not both in one word. The tyranny of the division between count and mass nouns!
What a nice word! I use it all the time.

01-14-2015, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #13550
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
What a nice word! I use it all the time.
"Stuff" has so many uses, as in;
Watcha got in there?' 'Stuff'
'Watcha doin?' 'Stuff'
"Have ya got any of the stuff?"
'He's a bit of a stuffed shirt'
etc., etc.,
and less politely..."get stuffed!"
01-14-2015, 06:15 PM - 3 Likes   #13551
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

WARNING:

I have reason to believe that the Pentaxians of the world have been brainwashed by none other than the evil hociR. There is strong evidence that it is gathering a large cult-like following, a cult which threatens our very existence. As a former Asahian, I am a witness to it nearly every day. If you are an artist you might have seen it yourself. The vacant-eyed teens and fifty-something's coming into camera stores demanding what on the surface appears to be some harmless machine. Stuff, if you will.

I assure you, there is nothing harmless about it. If you've followed this thread, you know what I'm speaking about. Do you remember the spiel? "Excellent high ISO image quality. Shoots at 8.1fps. Fast, 27-point autofocus system. In-camera shake reduction. Selectable simulated low-pass filter. Weather-sealed design. Pentaprism viewfinder. Sharp rear display. Top-notch control layout. Dual SD card slots. PC sync flash socket, hearts, stars and horseshoes, clovers and blue moons, pots of gold and rainbows, and red balloons.!" This is code-speak, the hociR's sinister way of distinguishing followers of his evil cult.

New initiates into this nefarious cult mark themselves with Pentax. As their rank in the dark underbelly of photography rises so changes the mark of evil which they use to distinguish themselves. The order of rank can be determined by the tattoo which they carry. Lower ranking members have Asahi tattooed on their arms, intermediate members carry the mark of ayoH, only the highest ranking, most twisted vile members, to prove themselves, are rewarded with the infamous mark hociR, hidden on the camera back where only they can see it; emblazoned in ink inside the bikini-line where only disillusioned partners might observe.

I urge you to stop feeding your friends and peers this subversive misinformation on the merits of what is euphemistically termed 'The Flagship', as the consequences are too horrible to fathom... Do you want your child to be a minion of evil? Do you want your off-spring to long for FF after experimenting with 24 MP's.

I think not but that's where it starts.

(I will add more information as it becomes available and answer any questions as fully as I can.)

Last edited by jac; 01-14-2015 at 07:05 PM.
01-14-2015, 08:23 PM   #13552
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
WARNING:

I have reason to believe that the Pentaxians of the world have been brainwashed by none other than the evil hociR. There is strong evidence that it is gathering a large cult-like following, a cult which threatens our very existence. As a former Asahian, I am a witness to it nearly every day. If you are an artist you might have seen it yourself. The vacant-eyed teens and fifty-something's coming into camera stores demanding what on the surface appears to be some harmless machine. Stuff, if you will.

I assure you, there is nothing harmless about it. If you've followed this thread, you know what I'm speaking about. Do you remember the spiel? "Excellent high ISO image quality. Shoots at 8.1fps. Fast, 27-point autofocus system. In-camera shake reduction. Selectable simulated low-pass filter. Weather-sealed design. Pentaprism viewfinder. Sharp rear display. Top-notch control layout. Dual SD card slots. PC sync flash socket, hearts, stars and horseshoes, clovers and blue moons, pots of gold and rainbows, and red balloons.!" This is code-speak, the hociR's sinister way of distinguishing followers of his evil cult.

New initiates into this nefarious cult mark themselves with Pentax. As their rank in the dark underbelly of photography rises so changes the mark of evil which they use to distinguish themselves. The order of rank can be determined by the tattoo which they carry. Lower ranking members have Asahi tattooed on their arms, intermediate members carry the mark of ayoH, only the highest ranking, most twisted vile members, to prove themselves, are rewarded with the infamous mark hociR, hidden on the camera back where only they can see it; emblazoned in ink inside the bikini-line where only disillusioned partners might observe.

I urge you to stop feeding your friends and peers this subversive misinformation on the merits of what is euphemistically termed 'The Flagship', as the consequences are too horrible to fathom... Do you want your child to be a minion of evil? Do you want your off-spring to long for FF after experimenting with 24 MP's.

(I will add more information as it becomes available and answer any questions as fully as I can.)
And just exactly why would your off-spring be experimenting with 24 military police? And what kind of experimentation are we referring to? And why can it only be done with 24 of them? Is there a problem if you have 26 military police? Does it have anything to do with two dozen? And just where did we start calling a collection of 12 similar things a "dozen?"

Ohhh, my head hurts.

Dear? Can you bring me another Guinness? And perhaps a jigger of Redbreast?

Jigger? Hmmm, such an odd little word.

01-14-2015, 08:49 PM   #13553
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Jigger? Hmmm, such an odd little word.
In Oz a jigger could also be described as a gadget.
01-15-2015, 01:23 AM   #13554
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In Oz a jigger could also be described as a gadget.
Here a jigger is a type of fishing gear for trout fishing!
01-15-2015, 02:58 AM   #13555
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure I know certain people that could well be labeled "jiggers"...
01-15-2015, 03:01 AM   #13556
Veteran Member

I seem to have been thrown off of the discussion because the semester started-- or maybe this thread has just become so off topic that it's impossible to know what's happening. Where did the studded tire discussion come from? I have some for my bike
01-15-2015, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #13557
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
Where did the studded tire discussion come from?
Post 13496 Page 900
The northern USA & Scandinavian posters started whining about the cold/ice/snow.
Why don't those who dislike the cold move to sunny Upover?
01-15-2015, 03:23 AM   #13558
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Post 13496 Page 900
The northern USA & Scandinavian posters started whining about the cold/ice/snow.
Why don't those who dislike the cold move to sunny Upover?
LOL! It was a lovely warm day here too. I feel like a swim. And possibly bacon! (Just to get this thread back on course!)
01-15-2015, 04:45 AM   #13559
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
LOL! It was a lovely warm day here too. I feel like a swim. And possibly bacon! (Just to get this thread back on course!)

We still go for a swim in winter too, you just need to bring a chainsaw for the ice 😊
01-15-2015, 05:10 AM   #13560
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
WARNING:

Amen.

---------- Post added 01-15-15 at 13:12 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'm sure I know certain people that could well be labeled "jiggers"...
Those are called here "jigger-lows" ...
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »