Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2015, 01:37 AM   #13651
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Or as we like to say.. "If the beer is too strong for you, get the hell outta Canada, eh?"
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Fixed.
Y'all ever notice there is an interstate that runs almost directly straight North and South from Canada to Texas? There's gotta be a reason, eh?

But remember, Canada and Texas don't have a lock on the market of high test Adult Malted Barley Pops.

01-18-2015, 02:03 AM - 2 Likes   #13652
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
So, if you all (y'all?) spend all your time savouring the delights of beer, whiskey, cheese, bacon, unpronounceable stuff from the ice bound areas, at what all, when do you find time to use the photographic equipment (Asahi, Pentax, Ayoh, Hocir, or any other brand) that you have,
Please refer to a photo I posted earlier today. Also, please refer to this photo:

Which was taken inside this place:

Where I also had:

Followed up by:

And then I retired to (the black one on the left):

And it was quite cozy and warm inside.

Those were some of the first photos I shot with my then new to me K5IIs. Since I got it right about when the K3 was just catching on, there clearly is no chance I will be adding the latter to my collection of gear.

I have, however, been using my existing gear, all the while enjoying my favorite things, beer, whisky, whiskey, cheese, bacon and other untold delights.

(whether or not you vowed on this blog to never buy it)?
Um, I never vowed to not buy it.

Well, at least not sincerely anyway.

But I probably won't.

But if someone wanted to give me one, well, I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth you know . . . .

I understand that there is an Asahi Brewery company.
Why yes there is. They make great beer too!

Are you all (y'all?) on the wrong blog?
Nope!

I could appeal to the mod for some moderation, but...
Ssshhhhh!!!!!!!
01-18-2015, 02:11 AM   #13653
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But calling tasteless fizzy water with a bit of alcohol in it beer? You'd think that would be beneath the lowest of the low.

I have tasted the stuff on some of my trips to US.

I get something more boutiquey or a style unavailable when I am given a choice - such as a restaurant menu. It is interesting to try the wheat beers and the IPAs.

---------- Post added 01-18-15 at 07:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
It's funny how tastes change. I can still remember when being able to buy a pack of Heineken in the market was a really big thing. Bud and Michelob were about the only beers available back then. Now beer people will hardly touch Bud and craft beer bars are sprouting up all over the place. My Mom and Dad and their buddies used to drink Bud all the time when they went out fishing. Heineken was too expensive to drink all the time but my Mom loved it now and again as a treat.

The same kind of change has happened here. Long ago West End was big, and Southwark second with Coopers a distant third. Now West End is still available, but brewed at what was the Southwark brewery and Southwark has largely gone, if not completely. Coopers moved from one of the most upmarket streets in the eastern suburbs, Leabrook, to a site in the northwest of town. They also grew much larger.

Generally, ther seems to have been a shift from drinking to get drunk to drinking with refinement. Many of my friends say, because of things like very heavy policing of drink driving, general health promotion of lifestyle, and several other similar effects - I am not going to drink a lot, so I may as well drink good.

Suppliers who served the old market got left behind with the new market because their image was to do with cheap bulk stuff, not quality. This effect seems to hit in many markets leading to the idea that many successful companies can be caught out by their success.

---------- Post added 01-18-15 at 07:55 PM ----------

I understand that there is an Asahi Brewery company. Are you all (y'all?) on the wrong blog?
I could appeal to the mod for some moderation, but...

But our mod is not a cricketer - he does not make judgements based on appeals.
01-18-2015, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #13654
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Racer, the tree SPARKLES!
Mrs Racer is right.

01-18-2015, 02:34 AM   #13655
Pentaxian

So, if you all (y'all?) spend all your time savouring the delights of beer, whiskey, cheese, bacon, unpronounceable stuff from the ice bound areas, at what all, when do you find time to use the photographic equipment (Asahi, Pentax, Ayoh, Hocir, or any other brand) that you have, (whether or not you vowed on this blog to never buy it)?

I took out my Takumar 200/3.5 for a spin this morning. Nice piece of glass. Some of my friends found it somewhat intimidating. It is nothing compared to the Rubinar 1000/10. That is body builder stuff. Probably where a famous Russian horse rider got his physique from, using it on the holidays one of his pre-1990 employers used to send him on.
01-18-2015, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #13656
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Racer, I love the pic of the tree on a rock. The ones of the drink and food... not so much: My son who is a canononian shows me a lot of pics of repasts that he has enjoyed while on celebration of special events or while on holidays.
and Mrs rod has me on a diet at the moment, so I am really over food images!!

---------- Post added 01-18-2015 at 08:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Some of my friends found it somewhat intimidating
Just succumbed to tempting price on Siggy 150-500: I can't take it out and use it: my friends and neighbours will think I am a poseur.
01-18-2015, 03:02 AM   #13657
Pentaxian

Just succumbed to tempting price on Siggy 150-500: I can't take it out and use it: my friends and neighbours will think I am a poseur.

Many years ago I spent the summer living on the other side of town with a Vietnamese refugee friend and his friends. I walked up the street carrying my Ricoh XR500 and later the neighbour asked my friend "Does he work for ASIO?" That was a great summer. We worked at a now defunct factory making fridges and airconditioners.

01-18-2015, 04:10 AM - 1 Like   #13658
Veteran Member

when do you find time to use the photographic equipment
Links are in the sig. Date and time's are in the Exif.

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
But remember, Canada and Texas don't have a lock on the market of high test Adult Malted Barley Pops.

There's probably a good reason for that, and I think that reason is inside that bottle.

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 01-18-2015 at 04:20 AM.
01-18-2015, 04:14 AM   #13659
Veteran Member

I love Martinelli's sparkling juices. My only regret is that the stuff costs so much here and I can't afford it except around the holidays when they put it on sale. I'll take it over sparkling wine anytime.
01-18-2015, 12:36 PM   #13660
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Racer, the tree SPARKLES!
Mrs Racer is right.
Yes she is.

She is always right, even when she is wrong.

Racer, I love the pic of the tree on a rock.
Thank you very much Rod!
01-19-2015, 02:43 AM   #13661
Pentaxian

14 hours and 6 minutes since the last post here.

How sad.
01-19-2015, 03:00 AM   #13662
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How sad.
But the cricket is happy.
Three way tournament between Australia, England and India.
Only two matches played so far: Aust 2, Eng 0, India 0.

---------- Post added 01-19-2015 at 09:06 PM ----------

And on the food and drink topic:

01-19-2015, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #13663
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

14 hours and 6 minutes since the last post here..
Insufferable.
This is the kind of thread neglect up with which I will not put!
01-19-2015, 07:41 AM   #13664
Veteran Member

Yesterday, my girlfriend and I were in Galveston. We parked the car, got out and started walking. She had my K7 in her hands and was carrying a camera bag with her. My camera was still in my backpack. We passed by an alleyway, and as doing so, some guy says "God Bless you. Come here, let me talk to you". I told my girlfriend "don't acknowledge him, lets just keep walking". The guy looked and sounded drunk (maybe drugs), walked with a slight mis-coordination to his step, and didn't appear to be your typical friendly street preacher that you usually run into around here. We walk up 2 blocks, cross a busy street which required waiting for the crossing light, and enter a parking lot.

On the far side of the parking lot were some benches. We decided to stop at the benches so I can get my camera out of my bag. We talked for a minute, deciding if we wanted to go right (where the pelicans gather), or left (where the ships pass). We decided on left first, then right. We started walking and my girlfriend says "Look".

The guy we saw earlier has made his way up 2 blocks, across the busy street, and is now heading straight towards us in the parking lot. I said, "maybe it's coincidental that he's coming this way, let's change direction and see where he goes". We turned around and started heading back towards the pelicans. As soon as we did, the guy did too, and started picking up his pace towards us. I told my girlfriend to keep walking away and I stopped. He was about 30ft from me and I gave him a warning. "How about you stop following us. We have nothing to say to you". He slurs out what I think was "I'm trying to. What are carrying". Again, I told him "Stop following me! You've been warned!".

This caught the attention of some people walking by that asked if I needed some help with the guy. When I turned my head to look in their direction, I saw the Port Police vehicle approaching. I waved my arm to the police vehicle and he pulled up. I told him that we parked 2 blocks back, walked over here, and this guy has followed us the entire way. The police asked "were you taking pictures of him?". I said no. I parked and walked straight here. The policeman looked at the guy, laughed, and said "I don't think you'll have trouble outrunning him." He then told me that I could go on my way and that he would take care of the guy. I said thanks, and went on my way.

About 2 hours later, we were walking back to our car, and 1 block from it, we see the guy on the next block over. He was standing on the corner yelling at parked cars. Cars that didn't have people inside them.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Insufferable.
This is the kind of thread neglect up with which I will not put!
Sorry boss. Won't happen again.
01-19-2015, 07:54 AM   #13665
Pentaxian

Ah, he just wanted to talk to the K-7. He finds those Canoikon cameras aren't very good at carrying on a conversation.