Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108808 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2015, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #13906
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
But if you ever get out our way, send me a PM! Mrs. Racer and I would enjoy having you stop by.
Thank you! (That's a 'fer piece from here. If my odo does 7,500 clicks a year it's a big effen deal).

01-26-2015, 05:33 PM   #13907
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
On a happier note,(if you're not there) New York is supposed to get 2 Feet of snow!!!! Time to get out the sleds, sledges, dog teams and tracked vehicles! "nights not fit for man nor beast!"-W.C.Fields
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Actually, some weather predicting models are saying up to 3 feet.
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
SMOWMAGEDDON!!! What evil is being stirred by hociR today?
They''re really pretty nervous about things in New York tonight. They're just not thinking straight.

A certain broadcast Network News division has made reservations for its critical employees at a hotel in Times Square. Mayor DeBlasio just announced all subway and buses will shut down at 11pm, personal cars, taxis and bicycles have been ordered off the street and people should just stay home. Critical news employees will need to walk W. 66th to Times Square - and back.

For my daughter, Times Square is a longer walk than just going home at her normal time - Midnight - but since she is a critical employee she'd need to report back to work at 4am.

She packed her sleeping bag 15 blocks this afternoon.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-26-2015 at 08:30 PM.
01-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #13908
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are worse things than several feet of snow and anyway I seem to recall a similar blizzard in the late 80's early 90's when I lived in NYC where we had far more snow than 3 feet in the front of our building and all over so I don't get why they are making such a big deal of this one. I mean that time I literally fell off my stairs and it was over my head. (I'm 5 foot 3 inches.) They literally had to dig me out. :P I know they had to clear at least 4-5 feet from the roads and sidewalks just so we could get out and we were snowbound for a while. So we had to have had at least 4 feet, but there's no mention of that blizzard in the news at all? 3 feet is nothing to me. That's what we used to get where I lived till I was 10. 3 feet, that was stay home from school and play outside snow. I have relatives in upstate NY who see 3X that and more every winter. It's just normal. But I do remember getting at least 2-3 feet several times while I lived in NYC and it was no big deal other than it was a bi- getting to work for a few days. They're making such a fuss and they're not getting anything compared to what they get upstate...
01-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #13909
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
There are worse things than several feet of snow and anyway I seem to recall a similar blizzard in the late 80's early 90's when I lived in NYC where we had far more snow than 3 feet in the front of our building and all over so I don't get why they are making such a big deal of this one. I mean that time I literally fell off my stairs and it was over my head. (I'm 5 foot 3 inches.) They literally had to dig me out. :P I know they had to clear at least 4-5 feet from the roads and sidewalks just so we could get out and we were snowbound for a while. So we had to have had at least 4 feet, but there's no mention of that blizzard in the news at all? 3 feet is nothing to me. That's what we used to get where I lived till I was 10. 3 feet, that was stay home from school and play outside snow. I have relatives in upstate NY who see 3X that and more every winter. It's just normal. But I do remember getting at least 2-3 feet several times while I lived in NYC and it was no big deal other than it was a bi- getting to work for a few days. They're making such a fuss and they're not getting anything compared to what they get upstate...
Possibly a case of an otherwise slow news day. So the press has to milk this one for all it's worth. Next it will be blamed on "global warming" or, to use the new catchphrase, "climate change". The climate has been changing a fair bit over the last few million years.

01-26-2015, 07:07 PM   #13910
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Next it will be blamed on "global warming"
That's why this 3' is worse that any previous 3'.
01-26-2015, 08:06 PM   #13911
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
That's why this 3' is worse that any previous 3'.
As the actress said to the bishop.
01-26-2015, 08:24 PM   #13912
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't get why they are making such a big deal of this one
John Lindsay mishandled (or so the newspapers claimed) the last really major blizzard, (February 10, 1969) and it has forever since been known as the "Lindsay Blizzard". DeBlasio is terrified he'll be the next Lindsay.

01-26-2015, 08:26 PM   #13913
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Possibly a case of an otherwise slow news day. So the press has to milk this one for all it's worth. Next it will be blamed on "global warming" or, to use the new catchphrase, "climate change". The climate has been changing a fair bit over the last few million years.
You're a half day late.

As if this is the first Nor'wester in the history of Gaia.
01-26-2015, 11:48 PM   #13914
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Marry me! Unless you want to live in snow, then ugh, snow.
Yeah, if you don't wanna live in snow, our relationship's off to a rocky start :P
01-27-2015, 12:48 AM   #13915
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Marry me! Unless you want to live in snow, then ugh, snow.

You know, surströmming is a part of Norway weddings. Both the bride and the groom eat a full tin for good luck.
01-27-2015, 01:52 AM - 2 Likes   #13916
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
You know, surströmming is a part of Norway weddings. Both the bride and the groom eat a full tin for good luck.
Yeah, but there's a trick for making it go down easier: don't open the tin first.
01-27-2015, 01:58 AM   #13917
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Yeah, but there's a trick for making it go down easier: don't open the tin first.
01-27-2015, 03:08 AM   #13918
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
You know I actually tend to like guys from that part of the world, I have a positive thing for tall, Nordic Viking types, but if that might actually be a real deal breaker, the food. No way I'd eat that stuff, not even if the guy adored me and looked like Alexander Skarsgård. (Yeah, I know he's actually a Swede, but he's the type I mean, basically.) Surströmming? Yuck just yuck! I'd almost rather eat haggis again and that's saying a lot because one bite of that and I was ready to BARF!
01-27-2015, 03:37 AM   #13919
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

You know I actually tend to like guys from that part of the world, I have a positive thing for tall, Nordic Viking types, but if that might actually be a real deal breaker, the food. No way I'd eat that stuff, not even if the guy adored me and looked like Alexander Skarsgård. (Yeah, I know he's actually a Swede, but he's the type I mean, basically.) Surströmming? Yuck just yuck! I'd almost rather eat haggis again and that's saying a lot because one bite of that and I was ready to BARF!
And surströmming is very much a Swedish thing! People do eat some icky things in Norway, but not that!
01-27-2015, 04:15 AM   #13920
Veteran Member

How are we back on surstömming again? I thought that we'd concluded that it was not food so much as a form of biological warfare.