Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #14101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Oh, right, we use moose power down here. Much more reliable than reindeer.
I remember an English test in my German secondary school in 6th grade - we had to read a text about moose and answer several questions. The problem was that we weren't allowed to use a dictionary and not a single one of us had ever come across the term 'moose', so we had absolutely no idea what the whole thing was about. In the end our teacher spent half the time giving elaborate explanations and essentially answering parts of the test for us

02-02-2015, 12:48 PM   #14102
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Merci bien ... I could go on and on, but savoche would have kittens ...

Don't ask about the Minolta gear that I scarfed up, plus the silver Mir-1 for peanuts
Nananana....
02-02-2015, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #14103
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I remember an English test in my German secondary school in 6th grade - we had to read a text about moose and answer several questions. The problem was that we weren't allowed to use a dictionary and not a single one of us had ever come across the term 'moose', so we had absolutely no idea what the whole thing was about. In the end our teacher spent half the time giving elaborate explanations and essentially answering parts of the test for us
You aren't one of those visitors who nick our signposts, are you?

02-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #14104
Veteran Member

Well, your half, not mine. So it's not really anything to get upset about

Oh, right, we use moose power down here. Much more reliable than reindeer.
You also don't have the radiation problem to think about.

02-02-2015, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #14105
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey ... in high school French, I had a teacher named Didier Poulet.

Oui, "Mr. Chicken" was one of my French teachers and see what trouble it got me into ...
02-02-2015, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #14106
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
You also don't have the radiation problem to think about.
True. That stuff mostly hit north of here. The downside being, of course, that the moose are much harder to see in the dark when they don't glow.
02-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #14107
Pentaxian

Nananana....
Ooooooooh ... 'em be fightin' words ...

You will be GREEN. Just fair warning ...

02-02-2015, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #14108
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Ooooooooh ... 'em be fightin' words ...

You will be GREEN. Just fair warning ...
Still can't hear you. Plugged my ears with cheese.
02-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #14109
Pentaxian

Still can't hear you. Plugged my ears with cheese.
... good one.
02-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #14110
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't usually post selfies, but...

02-02-2015, 02:23 PM   #14111
Veteran Member

True. That stuff mostly hit north of here. The downside being, of course, that the moose are much harder to see in the dark when they don't glow.
Now, that would actually be great for traffic safety. On the other hand, I haven't seen a moose strike for a couple years now. The moose fences along the highway to our cottage in SE Finland were damaged a couple years back by storms, and that made for very nervous driving the last 30 kilometers or so. At dusk there could be several standing a meter off the highway and you would not see them until it's too late. At least in summertime the midnight sun helps, but not in the spring or fall.
02-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #14112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Now, that would actually be great for traffic safety. On the other hand, I haven't seen a moose strike for a couple years now. The moose fences along the highway to our cottage in SE Finland were damaged a couple years back by storms, and that made for very nervous driving the last 30 kilometers or so. At dusk there could be several standing a meter off the highway and you would not see them until it's too late. At least in summertime the midnight sun helps, but not in the spring or fall.
Where my family lives in Germany small blue reflectors were mounted to the posts along the country roads that reflect the cars' headlights perpendicularly to the road and prevent deer and wild boars from running on the road just in front of you. Apparently they are put off by blue light.
02-02-2015, 07:11 PM   #14113
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

not a single one of us had ever come across the term 'moose', so we had absolutely no idea what the whole thing was about.
Yep, the whole moose thing is a North American invention. What we call a moose, you call an elk. What we call an elk looks a lot like a European red deer. What we call a caribou, you call call a reindeer. Go figure...

Steve
02-02-2015, 08:06 PM   #14114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What you call a tire we call a tyre, what you call a trunk we call a boot, what we call a caravan you call a trailer, what you call... (and let's not get into alternate pronunciation's!!)
Why don't you yanks fall into line with the rest of the world?

(OK, we in Oz have also strayed from the motherland somewhat, but not as far as you!)
02-02-2015, 08:16 PM   #14115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
(OK, we in Oz have also strayed from the motherland somewhat, but not as far as you!)
Somewhat???