Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2015, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #14716

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
time for procrastinating
Weren't you warned as a child "STOP that or you will go blind"

Last edited by Stumpy; 02-17-2015 at 06:10 PM.
02-17-2015, 06:19 PM   #14717

Did someone mention breakfast ??
Attached Images

02-17-2015, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #14718
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
but I have had a hociR.
...(or two!)
02-17-2015, 06:50 PM   #14719
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stumpy Quote
What's the black stuff in the middle?

02-17-2015, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #14720
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
What's the black stuff in the middle?
Weird British stuff.
02-17-2015, 08:42 PM   #14721
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stumpy Quote

What is considered a normal size serve of the black pudding?

Quite nice, actually.

Most countries I have been to have something kind of equivalent.

Well, the two immediately preceding posts do indicate a sheltered life. In their homeland I found sun-dae, served on a large plate in a heap, in a food court in LA. Had some but the whole dish would have been a little too much.
02-17-2015, 09:00 PM   #14722
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Well, the two immediately preceding posts do indicate a sheltered life.
Yep I'm a bit sheltered. But I do like Thai, Cambodian, Laotian, Chinese, Indian, Greek, Italian, Korean, Mexican, plus all the standard stuff you would expect to find in a Midwestern city including the one and only Zombie Burger! Oops I forgot Liberian food. Now that's some interesting stuff!

02-17-2015, 11:08 PM   #14723
Pentaxian

Joel, sun-dae, as you wold guess in a Korean blood sausage. The black pudding, English, is a blood sausage. The Chinese have both pig's blood and duck's blood jelly. The duck one I have only seen in firepot, the pig one is cooked in many things. The quantity of pig blood jelly is reminiscent of a quote from Macbeth: "who would have thought the old man had so much blood in him?". The Chinese in Taiwan have a snack - rice and blood (looks like sun-dae) except it is served on a stick, like our kids have ice-creams, get it at the night market. And a number of other European countries have blood sausages.

Now for a religious reference: one of the early Popes (about 2nd Century) banned Christians from eating sausage - because it was meat and blood packed into the skin. The blood was the matter of offence. Observe the cuisines and one can see what happened on that. Curiously, about the same time one of the Ante-Nicene Fathers (somewhere in the 10 volumes of ANF) called for Christians to not eat onion or garlic either.

I like most of the cuisines to which you refer and the other couple are gaps in my experience. One I like is the English pub dinner. It is very homely and accompanied by a pint of something local is great. It is so much better than the poncy dinners most restaurants, other than those with playgrounds and certain other ubiquitous features.

I first ate black pudding at Cranfield, at the University, not the village, which is on the other side of the airfield.
02-18-2015, 12:16 AM   #14724
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Yep I'm a bit sheltered. But I do like Thai, Cambodian, Laotian, Chinese, Indian, Greek, Italian, Korean, Mexican, plus all the standard stuff you would expect to find in a Midwestern city including the one and only Zombie Burger! Oops I forgot Liberian food. Now that's some interesting stuff!
Norwegian??
02-18-2015, 03:01 AM   #14725
Veteran Member

Joel, sun-dae, as you wold guess in a Korean blood sausage. The black pudding, English, is a blood sausage. The Chinese have both pig's blood and duck's blood jelly. The duck one I have only seen in firepot, the pig one is cooked in many things. The quantity of pig blood jelly is reminiscent of a quote from Macbeth: "who would have thought the old man had so much blood in him?". The Chinese in Taiwan have a snack - rice and blood (looks like sun-dae) except it is served on a stick, like our kids have ice-creams, get it at the night market. And a number of other European countries have blood sausages.

Now for a religious reference: one of the early Popes (about 2nd Century) banned Christians from eating sausage - because it was meat and blood packed into the skin. The blood was the matter of offence. Observe the cuisines and one can see what happened on that. Curiously, about the same time one of the Ante-Nicene Fathers (somewhere in the 10 volumes of ANF) called for Christians to not eat onion or garlic either.

I like most of the cuisines to which you refer and the other couple are gaps in my experience. One I like is the English pub dinner. It is very homely and accompanied by a pint of something local is great. It is so much better than the poncy dinners most restaurants, other than those with playgrounds and certain other ubiquitous features.

I first ate black pudding at Cranfield, at the University, not the village, which is on the other side of the airfield.

Here in Finland we have blood sausage and blood pancakes, both of which are reasonably popular. You can get a plastic container of pig or bovine blood in practically any supermarket.

As a Finn, my wife likes both, but especially blood sausage (known as black sausage in Finnish). As an ex-pat Murican, I don't care much for black sausage, but there is a variant made with oats that I do like occasionally.
02-18-2015, 03:48 AM   #14726
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sooo....was the hociR any good?

Steve
A lot better with the lights off than my first ayoH.

---------- Post added 02-18-15 at 04:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Maybe you are not in the typical FB age group?
What is the typical FB age group?
02-18-2015, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #14727
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
What is the typical FB age group?
60+, I believe.
02-18-2015, 04:18 AM   #14728
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
60+, I believe.
That figure is in "dog years", I believe. No pups allowed.
02-18-2015, 04:40 AM   #14729
Veteran Member

The black pudding, English, is a blood sausage.
Don't get any of that here. For some reason the various groups have eliminated blood related items from the offings. Probably thought it would scare the locals!

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Norwegian??
The one group we don't have in this area. Lots of Swedish but no Norwegian. Go figure.
02-18-2015, 05:15 AM   #14730
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
That figure is in "dog years", I believe. No pups allowed.
No, perfectly normal years. I know for certain I'm not old enough to join, and I'm pretty sure I won't be for another decade or two. Or more. If I'm lucky I'll die before Mr Zuckerberg gets to rip my privacy to shreds.

Well, if there had been any privacy left after Google had their share, that is