Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2015, 12:10 PM   #14761
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Only 70 posts and already internalised the most important rules - you learn fast, young padawan.

That's an urban myth though, goldfish LTM can last several months. Try a house fly, that's about seven days. Or a squirrel, on average they can only remember the location of 20% of their food storages, so they usually bury five times the mount of food they need

House fly LTM of 7 days. How many days is its whole life cycle from the egg to the worm taking it?

02-18-2015, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #14762
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Just hold'em by the tail and deep fry. Yummy.

02-18-2015, 12:17 PM   #14763
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep...per the instructions in Acts 15:20...historical note...not really religion...

Steve

Thanks. I knew the origin. I was really curious about where the 2nd century no onion and no garlic came from. I have a colleague who for religious reasons adhere to the same restriction but his religion has a far east origin. I wonder if there was something in the Buddhism which had become popular in Europe in the first century BC. That probably resulted form Alexander the Great's running out of world to conquer, or being convinced by someone not to try to go further east. I have a book which says the King of Bactria once convince a Chinese general not to try to invade the Roman empire on the grounds the Chinese could not win. That way Bactria remained free of both Rome and China as a buffer state. (Around the turn of that millennium.)

---------- Post added 02-19-15 at 05:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Possums' good eatin's.

Possums are a protected animal here. That makes them very hard to get out of the roof, baits are not allowed. And they are very destructive and annoying. Getting repairs to my roof this week to stop bad things getting in. Expensive, but necessary.

Last edited by tim60; 02-18-2015 at 12:26 PM.
02-18-2015, 12:24 PM   #14764
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
House fly LTM of 7 days. How many days is its whole life cycle from the egg to the worm taking it?
Not sure, but their adult form can live about up to a month.

I have a book which says the King of Bactria once convince a Chinese general not to try to invade the Roman empire on the grounds the Chinese could not win. That way Bactria remained free of both Rome and China as a buffer state. (Around the turn of that millennium.)
I kind of doubt that story based on the fact that the two empires had close to no relations (except for a couple of singular instances of emissaries travelling to the respective countries) and extremely limited awareness of and knowledge about each other.

02-18-2015, 12:24 PM   #14765
Pentaxian

That's because it isn't an opossum - it's a possum Common brushtail possum (Trichosurus vulpecula), to be precise. There are tons of them down in Oz.

That's the thing to which I was referring immediately above.

Except for some reason I did not save my message about possums being protected here. And the problem that makes for getting them out of the roof. Any method involving death of the possum is not permitted.
02-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #14766
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stumpy Quote
Around here the squirrels are learning and ...
... and will take power over the world in a few years time? Maybe they will invent some means to make still pictures soon. And name it the Ric...
02-18-2015, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #14767
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Just hold'em by the tail and deep fry. Yummy.
Oh dear. Oh my, my ... don't let Otis see that image !!!

02-18-2015, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #14768
Pentaxian

Not sure, but their adult form can live about up to a month.

I kind of doubt that story based on the fact that the two empires had close to no relations (except for a couple of singular instances of emissaries travelling to the respective countries) and extremely limited awareness of and knowledge about each other.

Juvenal did say that Rome was so corrupt that IF a Chinese comes to Rome he goes home wearing a toga.
02-18-2015, 12:32 PM - 2 Likes   #14769
Pentaxian

... I kind of doubt that story based on the fact that the two empires had close to no relations (except for a couple of singular instances of emissaries travelling to the respective countries) and extremely limited awareness of and knowledge about each other.
That reminds me of my childhood in Oklahoma ... specifically our relations with Texass were not that good.
02-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #14770
Veteran Member

Juvenal did say that Rome was so corrupt that IF a Chinese comes to Rome he goes home wearing a toga.
Do you have a source for that?
02-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #14771
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the furthest west the Chinese empire got was Talas river (which is, I believe, somewhere in today's Kyrgyzstan) in mid 8th century, where they lost a brief battle with Arab forces and stopped their advance. By then, of course, the Roman empire wasn't quite the empire any more.

And that is a perfectly good reason for not buying a K-3 - for the handful in here who hasn't already done so
02-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #14772
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

It seems Jean's got a competitor when it comes to bad imaginative puns: It's Leicable!
02-18-2015, 02:37 PM   #14773
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, it was Rollie well thought out.
02-18-2015, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #14774
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's because it isn't an opossum - it's a possum Common brushtail possum (Trichosurus vulpecula), to be precise. There are tons of them down in Oz.
Well now... You really do learn something new every day on PF. I never knew there was a difference between Opossum and Possum. I always thought Possum was the backwoods slang way of saying Opossum.

---------- Post added 02-18-15 at 03:45 PM ----------

Possums are a protected animal here. That makes them very hard to get out of the roof, baits are not allowed. And they are very destructive and annoying. Getting repairs to my roof this week to stop bad things getting in. Expensive, but necessary.
If there's tons of them, how come they're protected and not considered a rodent? Just curious.

---------- Post added 02-18-15 at 03:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
That reminds me of my childhood in Oklahoma ... specifically our relations with Texass were not that good.
You stay on your side! We don't want your kind 'round here! Now get!

---------- Post added 02-18-15 at 03:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yes, it was Rollie well thought out.
It's Praktically carved in stone.
02-18-2015, 03:07 PM   #14775
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's the thing to which I was referring immediately above.

Except for some reason I did not save my message about possums being protected here. And the problem that makes for getting them out of the roof. Any method involving death of the possum is not permitted.
Here, any method that involves the death of the possum is very much allowed!
We like shooting them! (It's called "spotlighting")