02-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #14821
Veteran Member

Snakes? What are those? :P

02-20-2015, 01:11 PM   #14822
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
I'm just going to keep my mouth shut this time.....
02-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #14823
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I never heard of the problem of snakes entering through the roof. I have heard enough stories of people finding snakes in their house. We have had a couple outside but I have not seen them inside. I know there are snakes in the valley below my back fence, but I have only seen one in the past 15 years. I was a skeleton in a skin trapped in some bird netting.
In my one year in the ACT (where brown snakes, redbacks and funnel-webs are abundant) I didn't see a single venomous animal. Had to go to a nature reserve to see a Red-bellied black snake, that's all. We even had brown snakes on campus which the uni administration couldn't have removed because they are protected. A friend and I went to the area with all the warning signs a couple of times at dusk and didn't catch a glimpse of them.

Really, the most dangerous thing in Australia are the magpies ... and the sun ... and the cost of living ...
02-20-2015, 01:36 PM   #14824
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I take it that you are too far north for the Common Adder?
An other reason not to buy the 3K hociR ...

02-20-2015, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #14825
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I take it that you are too far north for the Common Adder?
An other reason not to buy the 3K hociR ...
Wow ... so that's the MSRP for the FF ... yikes.
02-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #14826
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Wow ... so that's the MSRP for the FF ... yikes.
Good pickup, Jean.
So no one will come right out and say 'this will be the price'; they just get some agent provocateur to drop the news via a code.
And so this thread which the mod has nurtured through thick and thin has turned from 'why I won't buy a K3' to 'why I won't buy a FF because it is too dear'
02-20-2015, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #14827
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I forgot how to multi-quote.
Both of you are reading too far in to it. Need to practice your reading skills, even a kid would get it

02-20-2015, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #14828
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you want to quote just portions of a post, or posts, highlight the text you want to quote, then click "quote Text" in the small pop-up. Do that for as many statements from as many different posts as you like. They will be quoted in the Quick Reply box.
If you want to quote multiple posts in their entirety, click the icon that looks like a sheet of paper for each post (except the last post) that you wish to quote, then click the Quote button for the last one.
02-20-2015, 04:06 PM   #14829
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
If you want to quote just portions of a post, or posts, highlight the text you want to quote, then click "quote Text" in the small pop-up. Do that for as many statements from as many different posts as you like. They will be quoted in the Quick Reply box.
If you want to quote multiple posts in their entirety, click the icon that looks like a sheet of paper for each post (except the last post) that you wish to quote, then click the Quote button for the last one.
Thank you sir.
02-20-2015, 08:42 PM   #14830
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
In my one year in the ACT (where brown snakes, redbacks and funnel-webs are abundant) I didn't see a single venomous animal. Had to go to a nature reserve to see a Red-bellied black snake, that's all. We even had brown snakes on campus which the uni administration couldn't have removed because they are protected. A friend and I went to the area with all the warning signs a couple of times at dusk and didn't catch a glimpse of them.

Really, the most dangerous thing in Australia are the magpies ... and the sun ... and the cost of living ...
I found a desert taipan in a co-workers front yard - they sure didn't give it much protection ! I found a dead desert taipan under my car, and I jumped so high I could have slam dunked ! I've run over a Brown snake as thick as my forearm, desert death adders galore, a 7 or 8 foot rock python. But that was in 2 years of living in north west western Australia.

So if you haven't come personally face to face with one of the deadly snakes or spiders ...........consider yourself fortunate. If you really want to find one, you definitely can, they just avoid humans.

But i'll give you the cost of living and the sun, and the magpies !
02-20-2015, 10:58 PM   #14831
Pentaxian

Long, wiggly things, self-propelled. Like to lay in the sun.

---------- Post added 02-21-15 at 04:50 PM ----------

At my campus security put signs out for snake sightings, quite often. By the time the sign gets there the snake is probably on the other side of the campus. I am inside today, hiding from the sun. I cannot do garden or house work outside. It is 40C with no clouds - kind of burning. And the cost of living is the other side of high pay rates. Low paid work, like child care, or cleaning, comes at a bit less than $20 per hour. But then the higher paid people do not get that many times that. Even a full professor gets about $80 per hour.
02-20-2015, 11:47 PM   #14832
Site Supporter

Long, wiggly things, self-propelled. Like to lay in the sun.

---------- Post added 02-21-15 at 04:50 PM ----------

At my campus security put signs out for snake sightings, quite often. By the time the sign gets there the snake is probably on the other side of the campus. I am inside today, hiding from the sun. I cannot do garden or house work outside. It is 40C with no clouds - kind of burning. And the cost of living is the other side of high pay rates. Low paid work, like child care, or cleaning, comes at a bit less than $20 per hour. But then the higher paid people do not get that many times that. Even a full professor gets about $80 per hour.
Low paid, 20 per hour... You can tell you're not in the US! I know people who do babysitting for 5 per hour under the table, and people working for 7.25 per hour minimum wage. I make a bit more than that though. Cleared over 80k last year. My best year yet.
02-21-2015, 04:49 AM   #14833
Veteran Member

And the cost of living is the other side of high pay rates. Low paid work, like child care, or cleaning, comes at a bit less than $20 per hour. But then the higher paid people do not get that many times that. Even a full professor gets about $80 per hour.
I know - but as an exchange student without a job I did not benefit from these high pay rates
02-21-2015, 01:28 PM   #14834
Pentaxian

I know - but as an exchange student without a job I did not benefit from these high pay rates

Presumably before you chose to come you saw the 'cost of living' lists provided by one or more universities. Did you find those to be fair and accurate or misleadingly cheap? Even though I come from here I would have trouble living at the prices those sheets assume.

I think that is a serious problem, particularly for students from one region who I think look at the sheets, do their sums almost to the cent, borrow the money to put in their bank account for visa qualification purposes, and then come. They try to repay the load quickly and presume they can easily get a high paying job and then they find they have to do too much work and everything goes downhill from there. (It is in the visa conditions that o/s students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during term time and unlimited otherwise - but visa extension demands certain academic achievement and enrolment criteria.) Many o/s students choose to work in the cash economy because the hourly rate looks better than whee there are tax records, and also there is no paperwork to show how much they worked etc., but in the cash economy it is easy for the bosses to become exploitative. (And in general Australian bosses tend to be very demanding - at best work at any level will keep a person very busy all the time they are employed, not doing 'look busy' work. Therefore no time to study on the side of the job etc as there is in some other countries and you go home very tired. Also, many bosses may demand casual work - you must be able to attend within half hour of when they call you to come in any time during opening hours etc. OK for locals but does not work well for o/s students who do not know how things work when they look in from outside.
02-21-2015, 04:04 PM   #14835
Veteran Member

I think that is a serious problem ...
Serious? You're in the wrong thread, my friend!