Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2015, 05:44 PM - 2 Likes   #14851
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
As if baseball was not already the slowest pro sport in the world next to cricket, they actually bring the whole rip-snorting event to a groaning halt in the seventh of nine innings. This opportunity is used for washroom breaks, refilling the beer cups, waking up those who dozed off and removing those that went to their eternal rest in the second or third inning and nobody noticed.
I understand your premise, and, while I agree that it's difficult to determine which is more exciting and fast paced, the game or the grass growing on the infield, I must posit that American football is a contender for the "Most boring team sport" award. There is one hour of play. It takes 3 1/2 - 4 hours to complete that. EVERYTHING stops the clock. Out of bounds stops the clock, incomplete pass stops the clock, time outs stop the clock, a referee burps or a player farts and the clock stops. Geeze! Just play the damned game already!

02-22-2015, 05:52 PM   #14852
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I understand your premise, and, while I agree that it's difficult to determine which is more exciting and fast paced, the game or the grass growing on the infield, I must posit that American football is a contender for the "Most boring team sport" award. There is one hour of play. It takes 3 1/2 - 4 hours to complete that. EVERYTHING stops the clock. Out of bounds stops the clock, incomplete pass stops the clock, time outs stop the clock, a referee burps or a player farts and the clock stops. Geeze! Just play the damned game already!
Interesting. I always thought they did that deliberately to align with TV advertising!
And the shoulder pads is very 1980's.
02-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #14853
Veteran Member

Quoting Parallax:

"I understand your premise, and, while I agree that it's difficult to determine which is more exciting and fast paced, the game or the grass growing on the infield, I must posit that American football is a contender for the "Most boring team sport" award. There is one hour of play. It takes 3 1/2 - 4 hours to complete that. EVERYTHING stops the clock. Out of bounds stops the clock, incomplete pass stops the clock, time outs stop the clock, a referee burps or a player farts and the clock stops. Geeze! Just play the damned game already!"

Which is why in a family full of rabid football fans I am the only one who could care less about the NFL or the Superbowl. I don't like baseball much either, but my whole family is into that too, all the guys, and most of the wives. Me? I'd rather fix my Dad a snack then go play Cubis than watch that stuff...
02-22-2015, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #14854
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
As if baseball was not already the slowest pro sport in the world next to cricket
That honor goes to golf or perhaps bowling...

Steve

02-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #14855
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My favorite team is Pats. My wife told me so

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-23-2015 at 04:20 AM.
02-22-2015, 06:02 PM   #14856
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Interesting. I always thought they did that deliberately to align with TV advertising!
That's exactly why they do it and, in my not so humble opinion, it's destroyed what little appeal the game had to begin with.
02-22-2015, 06:04 PM   #14857
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
I will likely regret posting this, but I rather enjoy watching bowling occasionally.

02-22-2015, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #14858
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Forget sports! Yuk! Music now that's where it's at! As in musical contests! Marching, Jazz, ensembles, you name it. That's real competition!!
Like this:
Now that's is worth watching!!!
02-22-2015, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #14859
Veteran Member

I must posit that American football is a contender for the "Most boring team sport" award.
I hate football. The crazy lunatic fans annoy me. The one's who'll start a fist fight with the guy next to them because they didn't like the play annoy me. Especially the one's who yell at the TV and get completely angry when the team they like loses. Even more especially, the fan's who's day is completely ruined, and they act all depressed when their favorite team loses. Texas has a butt-ton of those fans.

I like auto racing. Sadly, the only thing shown here is NASCAR and the occasional Indy race. NASCAR fans are a little better. They'll be all like:

Did you see the race yesterday?
Yeah, Biffle wasn't racing his best, but Jr. had a bad string of luck the whole race.

....and then the subject changes to something totally different.
02-22-2015, 06:52 PM   #14860
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
That's an impressive Cricket Ground
I didn't see the match, just the scores!
I liked the 'G better when it was individual stands!! The old southern and northern stands were still just steel and concrete but it wasn't quite so monotonous.

---------- Post added 02-23-2015 at 12:55 PM ----------

but I rather enjoy watching bowling occasionally
I assume you mean the 10 pin type?
Lawn bowls is actually OK on the TV (occasionally)
02-22-2015, 11:08 PM   #14861
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
No thanks. It would spark a civil war. You see, a few years ago some nutters tried to get the Olympics to Zoe's home town. That never took flight. Then some other nutters tried to get it to my home town - which caused everybody up north to mobilize, pitchforks and torches in hand. Luckily the government refused to fund the silliness so we seem to be safe for now.
Hosting the Olympics in Tromsø would be splendid. But ridiculous. Where would we put all the people? There isn't enough space for all the students as is!

Also, the olympics are kind of ridiculous and extravagant to begin with. Although, i suppose, if there's any country that could actually afford it, it would be Norway...

---------- Post added 02-23-2015 at 07:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Was too busy putting 7 miles on my v8 Lift Skikes burning off all that Bacon
And watching "Dead Snow" on Net-flix.
DEAD SNOW Trailer (2009) - Zombie Horror Movie - YouTube
ah, you're excused.
02-22-2015, 11:23 PM - 1 Like   #14862
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Not sports ... recreational activities like curling or pétanque ... Pétanque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS - Is it time to countdown to page 1,000 ?!
02-22-2015, 11:42 PM   #14863
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Forget sports! Yuk! Music now that's where it's at! As in musical contests! Marching, Jazz, ensembles, you name it. That's real competition!! Like this: Blue Devils Pegasus - YouTube
...and look at the size of the crowd!
02-23-2015, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #14864
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am a nerd. Sports arent my thing other than drag racing, and I wish they still did 1/4 mile in that. To me slorts are like soap operas for geown men, "Hey billy, did you see that quarterback throw the ball to that player in the bottom of the third inning? It made him get a goal! I like the celtics! Woo hoo!"
02-23-2015, 07:46 AM   #14865
Pentaxian

The whole goal to sports is to keep you active, physically. I guess some of us are immune to that. Watching sports however is a different thing. You have to listen to dumb announcers, you have to watch endless commercials. It keeps you from getting out and taking pictures... that's baaaaad.

The health benefits of playing sports are totally negated by the couch sitting that goes on watching sports.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »