Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2015, 07:37 PM   #14941
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Quite true, and very fascinating. Even the way people write English can sometimes tell you which is their first language.

My accent when speaking English is a bit all over the place, it seems. From just a few sentences I have been taken for a Brit, I have been guessed as Dutch, and I've even been told I have "a beautiful South African accent"

By Muricans my accent is usually labelled as "foreign", though

I agree, the style of writing also tells a lot. Writing gives away more of the difficulties a person has with English because of the inflection of words for grammar. Also, people from some backgrounds have some unusual and characteristic written forms. Ones I get often in emails are:
"Dear Respected Sir" - if the author really respected 'sir' the author would bother to find out the proper name and title of 'sir', "Please do the needful", "your esteemed university" - trying to butter me up to feel good and do what is requested and from a different background "Hey Tim" - I am comfortable with informality, but this seems to be asserting the student's belief they have authority over me, very rude.

02-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #14942
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I agree, the style of writing also tells a lot. Writing gives away more of the difficulties a person has with English because of the inflection of words for grammar. Also, people from some backgrounds have some unusual and characteristic written forms. Ones I get often in emails are:
"Dear Respected Sir" - if the author really respected 'sir' the author would bother to find out the proper name and title of 'sir', "Please do the needful", "your esteemed university" - trying to butter me up to feel good and do what is requested and from a different background "Hey Tim" - I am comfortable with informality, but this seems to be asserting the student's belief they have authority over me, very rude.
My mom's family is from Iowa my dad's from Georgia, If I were to spend a half hour with my cousins, currently from Cincinnati, I'd have a drawl in 15 minutes, and you'd think I was from Georgia. But they always ask me to "talk Canadian" which involves calling people "hosers" and saying "eh" to them. I know when we get in the bar we've totally messed up a few "I know where you're from " linguists.

But, anyone from Ohio knows I grew up in Ohio. I don't even know how they know.
02-24-2015, 07:55 PM   #14943
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, if when speaking, you refer to "Ohio" I don't know how they would know. If, OTH, you speak of "Ohiah", I have a theory as to how people know.
02-24-2015, 11:51 PM   #14944
Veteran Member

Ooh, accents!

I'm from trøndelag, a region of norway with a distinctive (and oft made fun of) dialect. But, having lived in northern norway for two years, my dialect has started to take on nordnorsk characteristics and slang, so nobody can tell where i'm from anymore. I've been asked if i'm from brønnøysund (which both geographically and linguistically between trøndelag and northern norway, so makes sense), from somewhere in nordmøre, which is south of trøndelag, and even if i'm swedish. But then i say where i'm from, and everyone goes 'oh, wait, now i hear it', and proceeds to make fun of my dialect.

02-25-2015, 12:45 AM   #14945
Veteran Member

Location and accent, huh? Howdy Y'all!
02-25-2015, 02:07 AM   #14946
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I don't know if it's still true today, but years ago I saw some statistics on language and French was the first language of more countries than was any other language.
Touché!
02-25-2015, 02:11 AM   #14947
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
But back on topic...
Now yer talkin'!

02-25-2015, 02:23 AM   #14948
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My mom's family is from Iowa my dad's from Georgia, If I were to spend a half hour with my cousins, currently from Cincinnati, I'd have a drawl in 15 minutes, and you'd think I was from Georgia. But they always ask me to "talk Canadian" which involves calling people "hosers" and saying "eh" to them. I know when we get in the bar we've totally messed up a few "I know where you're from " linguists.

But, anyone from Ohio knows I grew up in Ohio. I don't even know how they know.
A few years back a guy in Roanoke, Virginia told me I was "Canadian" because of my "accent". But as far as I am concerned, he was the one with the accent.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
No comment ... and even I have a pronounced accent.

Remember, I grew up in a red(neck) state ...
Having lived on both coasts, the North and the South, and many places in between, my "accent" is a hodge podge of accents and bits of dialect and phraseology from all of them.

I say "howdy" to people when I greet them, and "y'all" not only when referring to people, but also when asking someone about something.

I pronounce water more like someone from New York state would.

And then there is the influence from my friends North of the Border. Makes the good ole boys down South think I am from there.
02-25-2015, 02:28 AM   #14949
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Where's the i?
02-25-2015, 02:31 AM   #14950
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

At the forum default of 15 posts per page, page # 1000 will occur before post # 15,000. (Page 1000 will start with post # 14,986)

Pictures, or lack of, have no effect.
But deleted posts do, right?

02-25-2015, 06:36 AM   #14951
Site Supporter

Accent? I have no accent.
02-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #14952
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
But deleted posts do, right?
Nope.
That's why I'll be assured of post #15,000. Just after we pass it I'll make a post, then delete enough of yours to roll the number back to 15,000 for mine.
02-25-2015, 08:56 AM   #14953
Pentaxian

Nope.
That's why I'll be assured of post #15,000. Just after we pass it I'll make a post, then delete enough of yours to roll the number back to 15,000 for mine.
... that's our very own and very special Almighty Mod.

(Brown nosing here so I can maybe get # 15,000)
02-25-2015, 09:37 AM   #14954
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope.
Cheater.
02-25-2015, 09:39 AM   #14955
Site Supporter

We needs cheese coneys from Skyline in here now.