Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2015, 10:32 AM - 2 Likes   #15031
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I do not do cemeteries very well as a general rule.
I don't either.
Many years ago, as a teenager, I was at Gettysburg. When we went through the cemetery, I had a strange experience. Nothing supernatural, just unusual. I had wandered on well ahead of my parents and I was standing in front of a grave when I was aware of my father shaking my shoulder and practically yelling my name. I couldn't figure out why he was upset until he explained. He said I had been standing, staring at that particular grave for over 15 minutes and he had spoken to me several times with no response. He said it was like I was in some sort of a trance. I have always wished I had thought to write down the name on the grave if there was one.

02-26-2015, 10:53 AM - 2 Likes   #15032
Veteran Member

Here's how the French see the English ...
And here's how Europeans see each other (and themselves), based on the Pew Research Centre's Global Attitudes Project. I especially like the Greek views on themselves

02-26-2015, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #15033
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

So the Italians think Italy is the least trustworthy; and Britain, France, Germany, Spain, and Italy all agree that Italy is the most corrupt.
02-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #15034
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
So the Italians think Italy is the least trustworthy; and Britain, France, Germany, Spain, and Italy all agree that Italy is the most corrupt.
Also, the French consider themselves as the most and least arrogant. The Greeks meanwhile have no clue why the rest of Europe rates them so poorly when obviously they are the most hardworking, compassionate, trustworthy and least arrogant nation there is

Meanwhile, almost everyone agrees that while they might not be very compassionate and possibly rather arrogant, Germans are the most hardworking and trustworthy and least corrupt people there are.

02-26-2015, 11:17 AM   #15035
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmmm, Italians think they are the least Trustworthy and Spanish, Greeks, Polish and Czech Rep. all think they are the most corrupt. There's a serious competition going on for the title of "Most Corrupt". Italy is mentioned 5 times so obviously walk away with the prize, fitting since they nominated themselves, and the only people who didn't vote for themselves, voted for them.
02-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #15036
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Also, the French consider themselves as the most and least arrogant. The Greeks meanwhile have no clue why the rest of Europe rates them so poorly when obviously they are the most hardworking, compassionate, trustworthy and least arrogant nation there is

Meanwhile, almost everyone agrees that while they might not be very compassionate and possibly rather arrogant, Germans are the most hardworking and trustworthy and least corrupt people there are.
Gotta luv les Frenchies ... vive "l'exception culturelle" ... Cultural exception - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

02-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #15037
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

And on a more serious note about the liberation of France and the American sacrifices made in that effort, I have had older French people thank ME directly for what the US did for France (and Europe) on several occasions. The then 80+ year old mother of a French friend once took my hand before sitting down at the dinner table in his home. She thanked me repeatedly and I responded that it was not I that freed her country. She said that she knew but she wanted to tell me anyway. It was important to her. It was maybe her only way to express her gratitude, and I hope that this brief post spreads her message a bit further.
I have heard stories of this sort from my friends who have traveled to France and had time to interact with the people there.

Steve

02-26-2015, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #15038
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't either.
Many years ago, as a teenager, I was at Gettysburg. When we went through the cemetery, I had a strange experience. Nothing supernatural, just unusual. I had wandered on well ahead of my parents and I was standing in front of a grave when I was aware of my father shaking my shoulder and practically yelling my name. I couldn't figure out why he was upset until he explained. He said I had been standing, staring at that particular grave for over 15 minutes and he had spoken to me several times with no response. He said it was like I was in some sort of a trance. I have always wished I had thought to write down the name on the grave if there was one.

The cemeteries are hard. On a trip tot he War Memorial in Canberra my wife found a name of a WWI digger in the list of dead that looked like mine. Quite something since I have three given names. Only once have I found someone with the same three - I was working at an election and one of the public came in with the same first three names. BTW: the only war injury of significance I know of in our family for the past century and a bit was a cousin of my grandfather who lost four toes to frostbite in Gallipoli. When he was sent home instead of to the western front he got very upset. He went to the 75 year event in Gallipoli, sponsored by the government. He fell of the hay cart on the family farm a few years later and died of the complications.
02-26-2015, 01:41 PM   #15039
Site Supporter

I found out that the Belgians are stereotyped as having the worst roads.
02-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #15040
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Yes. They do suffer from having some neighbours with extremely good roads though, so the stereotype might be relative in nature rather than absolute.

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 02-26-2015 at 05:22 PM.
02-26-2015, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #15041
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Apparently, they've never driven through Houston.

02-26-2015, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #15042
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Talking of stereotypes;
An Englishman, Scot and Aussie walked into a Australian bar and each ordered a beer.
It was summer and the flies were THICK.
A fly landed in the head of each beer:
The Englishman pushed the glass back across the bar in disgust.
The Scot picked out the fly and proceeded to drink his beer.
The Aussie grabbed the fly and was seen wringing it out saying "spit it out, you b*******!"
02-26-2015, 07:22 PM - 3 Likes   #15043
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

An Englishman and a Scot stopped outside a pub. Neither had the cost of a pint in his pocket. The Englishman said "No problem. Watch and learn". He went in, ordered a pint, and drank it down. When the bartender wanted payment the Brit said "I paid you". "No you didn't ", "Yes, I did". " No you didn't. Get out of my pub!" The Scotsman then went in and ordered a pint. Just as he finished it the bartender, still POd, said "Did you see that bloke? He stiffed me." The Scotsman said "Listen, laddie, I dena have time t' listen t' yer troubles! Just give me me change and I'll be on me way."
02-26-2015, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #15044
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, nthat's nnot nwhat nI nmeant. Napparently, nI nneed npractice nhitting nthe nn nkey.
I hope you get over your cold soon.
02-26-2015, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #15045
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Apparently, they've never driven through Houston.

Is that what happens when you take the oil out from underneath the road?
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »