Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2015, 02:10 PM   #15886
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
you would address them as "they"...
It is a strange quirk of English that "they"/"them"/"their" may be gender neutral singular along with "it" and "one" and their variants. This has led to some interesting twists of phrase when speaking of or too people who feel oppressed by gender.

Isn't language grand?

Steve

03-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #15887
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
But did you know that 'Brot' is German for 'bread' and when I see your username I always think of you as a loaf of bread named Steve?
I know that and it gives me some reason to smile, though initially it was simply an abbreviation of my last name which translated would be Brüder in German.

Steve
03-24-2015, 02:17 PM   #15888
Pentaxian

ah that brings back memories of the Bruderhoff
03-24-2015, 02:19 PM   #15889
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is it not the same in Norwegian?
It is just as in German, yes. But the months don't have any gender as far as I know. The equivalent of der April would be aprilmåneden ("the month of April"), where the masculine noun måned will be definite singular. The name of the month will behave like a name, even though it is defined as a noun (and with no capital initial letter).

I probably shouldn't look this up

03-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #15890
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
ah that brings back memories of the Bruderhoff
You got it. That is one explanation for the origin of the name. Lay brethren in religious communities, though in medieval times not as with the modern Bruderhoff.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-24-2015 at 02:30 PM.
03-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #15891
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

Without beer, well, we'd all be drinking water or something.

Really.

Remember.

In wine there is wisdom.

In beer there is strength.

In water there is bacteria.
I apologies if this is a bit long but:
There are no liquor outlets in Nunavut. The Goverment is holding a plebiscite to see if a beer and wine store can open in the Capital City of Iqaluit - population roughly 8,000. Aperson would be limited to one 12 pack of beer and/or two bottles of wine. And the sky will fall.

(56) Comments56) Comments:

#1. Posted by this Affects Everyone on March 23, 2015
Is this plebisite open to all Nunavummiut, or only to Iqalimmiut?

#2. Posted by outsiders dont know how to drink on March 23, 2015
outsiders will pay extra to the people of Iqaluitmiut to go buy each day till they have the numbers up to pick up and bring or ship out to there home town to boot-leg , telling you this now look at people going back and forth to Pang and Kimmirut stupid Drunks we just had seen , expect the numbers to sky rise for the first year to have jail birds fill the cells , Please take a photo of the opening line up for the first costumer to remember this day if and when the store opens will be ready for the MLA to see or elections to remember as well .boo

#3. Posted by concern on March 23, 2015
Hello, I was in Iqaluit. Also remembering how our life was like way before liquor was permitted. I remember alcohol destroyed our family reputation,suicides,HIV deaths,leaving home and left kids to active drinking family. Still some very active drinkers and families that are not forgiving each other. This alcohol will continue to destroy families as long as we do not have proper Alcohol and Drug Treatment Center in Nunavut. Down south trip to get treatment is very expensive and at times people do not come back home at all. This very active spirit of ugliness well continues to destroy families. It looks like the government didn’t get enough killing our people with their potion of evil stuff.

#4. Posted by how much? on March 23, 2015
12 cans and 2 bottles of wine? Why even bother? Why not a 2/4 and a 60oz. of wine? Why play with 12 cans, and two bottles, makes me laugh, I think this is only for those that can’t even finish half a glass. What’s the matter with you? Just let it go. I will go vote.

#5. Posted by pet projects on March 23, 2015
#1: the article states that you must be a current resident of Iqaluit, so it’s only open to Iqaluimmiut. The GN is a territorial body, they should open any plebiscite to the entirety of their jurisdiction; and inform their final opinions based on by-community outcomes. Is it even legitimate to use Elections Nunavut for the purposes of a jurisdictional plebiscite? Unfortunate they don’t listen to the youth, our largest population by %. Drinking at home impacts youth too, potentially moreso than anyone. Instead their potentially alcoholic parent(s) will have a chance to say “yes”.

#6. Posted by Better on March 23, 2015
Question 1: “Are you in favour of an alcohol and additions treatment facility opening in the City of Iqaluit?”

Question 2: “Are you in favour of a beer and wine store opening in the City of Iqaluit?”

Question 3: “If both, which should open first?”

#7. Posted by Insight on March 23, 2015
There should be NO wine-beer store open. A lot of good posts here to indicate why not. I am in total agreement that it will cause a spread of alcohol to other communities. Almost everyone in every community has a friend or family member in Iqaluit so it will make it very easy for them to get a supply to take back with them. It’s also because of poster #4 there should be no store open. This “limited” amount is still enough to put people in the hospital. This amount is equivalent to 26-28 standard drinks. That’s almost 1/2 a 60oz of spirits…..... I weigh 220lbs and there is no way I would be able to drink that amount without serious consequences. Oh, and poster #4, 2 bottles of wine is pretty much 60oz.

#8. Posted by Samantha on March 23, 2015
To #7: Insight why for one would you drink to the point of harming yourself?
People need to understand that you need to learn your limits for drinking. I see the reason for people drinking themselves to the point where they can harm them selves because they buy from a bootlegger and they don’t buy mix. Whereas if there was a beer and wine store they won’t need mix. Usually they buy a bottle not just for themselves they buy with other people so it seems like it is a race for them to drink the most or fastest.

#9. Posted by Unreal on March 23, 2015
When will you ever grow up you whiny babies?

#10. Posted by Northerner on March 23, 2015
when it sounds like the communities will be flooded with beer and wine,it’s not like there are going to be flats of beer and wine being shipped to the communities. how hard will it be to conceal 12 beer and 2 bottles of wine. Those two equal the amount of 1 miki bottle each, just think about how much alcohol is in 2 750ml of 40% alcohol. Yeah, you may see a little more here and there, but you’d have to bring 10 friends on skidoos from either dorset, pang or kimm to get enough to make any consequence. worth it? relax a little, there will be impacts, but I’m sure there will be less impacts than the hard stuff. 12 beer = 1 miki bottle, not like a 60 ouncer or something. cmon Iqaluit, get with the times. Yellowknife had a full liquor store even when the population was less than 6k people, they’ve survived and thrived. grow up Iqaluit, bring it on, about time. I would rather spend money to drink a 6pack at home than 6 beer at the bar, where it’s loud and its’ hard to relax.

#11. Posted by Northerner on March 23, 2015
HAHA @ #7, do your math. 1 250ml glass of wine is equal to 1 straight shot of 40% alcohol, so a bottle of wine has 750ml, and the last time I checked, that is 3 glasses of wine, or 3 straight shots of alcohol, multiply that by 2 bottles…let me see here…carry the 3..yeah, that’s 1.5 liters of wine, or 6 glasses of wine, and if I’m doing my math right, that equals 6 straight shots of alcohol, which is roughly the amount of alcohol in a miki bottle, not the 60 shots in a 60 ouncer..yeah….i’ll go confirm with Stephen hawkings, make sure I’m right.

#12. Posted by Insight on March 23, 2015
Ok #11, you obviously have some difficulty reading and have no idea about the potency of wine. I never said anything about 2 bottles of wine being the same as a 60oz of spirits. You should try reading a little more clearly next time. Also, you are now saying that 2 bottles of wine is equivalent to 6 shots of spirits…... have you ever had wine, you should probably do a little research before you embarrass yourself….. too late!

#13. Posted by voters want = consequences on March 23, 2015
#8 first step to understand about alcohol abuse is to accept the fact there is no logical answer as to how one can drink without getting drunk on one beer one glass of wine or hard alcohol. Main concern is to help anyone wanting to stop abusing alcohol without a rule book of instruction whether to mix or not mix. A rehab needs to go hand-in-hand with a booze store in a community. The voters of Iqaluit want what you want and there are consequences. What? Did you think you could get booze without paying for the affects on the people? Voters pay for the booze through the front door and the same money pays for the rehab out the back door.

#14. Posted by Insight on March 23, 2015
Samantha, How do you get from what I said that I am going to drink to the point of harming myself??? Please try and read more clearly. My post was addressed to #4 who was stating that the limited amount is nothing and that people should be allowed to get more.

#15. Posted by Do your own math before mocking others on March 23, 2015
A standard drink of wine is 5 ounces (about 150 mL), which is the equivalent of about a 1.5 oz shot alcohol-content wise. That’s five standard drinks per wine bottle, or ten in two bottles, making for about 15 shots’ worth.

So 15 shots worth of wine plus 12 shots worth of beer is indeed pretty close to half a 60, as #7 suggests. That’s enough to do serious damage, #11—but then of course so is the alcohol available from bootleggers, which is hard to eradicate of while a market exists for it.

#16. Posted by C'mon on March 23, 2015
HEY GUYS’ there’s nobody telling you guys to drink it all at once, all the nay Sayers either have a problem controlling their alcohol intake or their neighbour. Either way, you can’t tell me what to do.

#17. Posted by Insight on March 23, 2015
Ok #11, you have inspired me to do some math, thank god I teach it or I would have to go visit Stephen Hawking (No s, with a capital H).

1 Shot 40% is (30ml X 0.40)= 12ml of alcohol
1 Bottle of wine is (750ml X 0.13)= 97.5ml of alcohol

97.5 Divided by 12 = 8.125
So based on the MATH, a bottle of wine is the same as 8.125 shots of 40% alcohol.

(8.125 X 2) + 12 Beers is 28.125 drinks which is what I said in the first place.

#18. Posted by New Math? on March 23, 2015
Hey Insight, using a calculation determine alcohol in ml may not be of much use, and your logic seems incorrrect. Is alcohol measured is vol/vol or mass/vol in Canada?
In Canada, the independent Canadian Public Health Association (CPHA) defines a standard drink to be as follows:

Beer - 341ml/12oz at 5%
Spirits - 43mL/1.5 oz at 40%
Wine - 142mL/5oz at 10-12%

10 beers = 2 bottles of wine = 15 shots of spirits

#19. Posted by Bert Rose on March 23, 2015
I am voting no just for the record

#20. Posted by Calculon on March 23, 2015
There’s a very handy calulator here:
Alcohol by Volume Calculator

A 60 ouncer contains the same amount of alcohol as 39 cans of beer (@5%) or 7.7 (750 mL) bottles of wine (@ 12%).

Beer and wine make lousy contraband and they’re less conducive to pounding. (beer is more conducive to urinating)
The medium is the message.

Also, having it available at a store will take the wind out of bootleggers’ sails (and sales). It might even reduce the availablity of bootleg hard liquor in outlying communities.

#21. Posted by Insight on March 23, 2015
#18, Based on what you wrote, you are only proving my point even further. Thank you for remind me that a beer is equivalent to 1.5oz, forgot that little detail…. Everything else however was pretty much the same…. now it looks like this based on your post.

Wine 750/142= 5.2816

5.2816 X 1.5(equivalent CPHA) = 7.9224(Little less since I used 13% for my wine)

Beer 12 pack (12 X 1.5) = 18

(7.9924 X 2) + 18 = 33.98(Equivalency in fluid ounces)

So now we realize that the amount of alcohol originally discussed is equivalent to over half of a 60oz.

#22. Posted by Science Please on March 23, 2015
Science has shown that there is a different chemical reaction to alcohol between native and non-natives. A genetic trait that was passed down through the generations among southerners. We know this, this is scientific fact. Given this information the Government wants to knowingly endanger one group of individuals for the social benefit of another? So they can make a few extra dollars to pay for programs. Once gene therapy has advanced to the point that Inuit can have the same reaction to alcohol, I really don’t think we should be openly selling it.

Then again, I also think this government should tax pop and chips and use that money to further subsidize healthy food.

#23. Posted by Calm Air & First Air will Hate This on March 23, 2015
No more charging crazy fees to ship tiny packages. Think of the injustice. smile

#24. Posted by Does The Liquor Committee Prefer Hard Liquor on March 23, 2015
A person can order:

2 40oz liquor @ 40% (example 2 bottles of vodka) = 80 drinks
2 cases of beer = 48 drinks
5 bottles of wine = 30 drinks

The most harmful booze is the most available but the least harmful (with health benefits) is the most restricted.

Genius.

#25. Posted by Discounted Concerns on March 23, 2015
What the hey ? I thought EIA held a public meeting where they heard a lot of concerns about the possibility of opening a liquor store ? So EIA discounted the concerns and is just going ahead with the plebiscite ? Seems to me they were driven by an agenda, pretended to listen to the public but barreling ahead with what they want to do anyways.

I have a funny feeling there’ll be a finely veiled campaign for a yes vote.

Did EIA ever consider how to curb illegal hard liquor bootlegging in the first place ? Or provide treatment options ?

A beer and wine store will be a nightmare.

#26. Posted by To #7 learn how to count on March 23, 2015
The liquor restriction protects people like you.

“2 bottles of wine is pretty much 60oz” No, it’s not.

2 bottles of wine is 10-12oz

#27. Posted by finally a reason for a rehab centre on March 24, 2015
Now for the mathematical geniuses on this article. Figure out the percentage of alcohol in each container with the consumption rate vs time over the height and weight of the drinker. Add into this equation the drinker’s quality of living accommodations plus nutritional food intake minus comparative financial levels between those who can afford to drink and those who cannot afford to drink. The total will prove a majority will not benefit from a beer and wine store. A rehab will become another expense to add onto the tax payers tab. Better to charge extra per container toward the new rehab centre coming to Iqaluit…a rehab centre that has been overdue for years.

#28. Posted by Flabbergasted! on March 24, 2015
hey guys, forget about how much alcooh is being provided and by how much quantity. This will hurt the profiteering bootleggers SOOO VERY BADDDD I am dancing like a PRO Inuk chick or some dude is playing Scottish-like stamping on dance floor accordian, square dancing music and lovin’ it!

In early colonial yrs, yes, Eekaaluuit, then Frobisher Bay, NWT did have a beer store and yes, shit happened and ppl died….honest to goodness, that was 1st intro for inuit to alcohol in a settlement, some loved it so much they even tried homebrew and maybe 1,2,3 or maybe more got blinded or died from these poorly made homebrew….drunkenness so badly wanted, needed by these tragic victims! Honest to goodness, hardcore anti beer n wine store advocates - Inuit and northerners alike from this wet Capital City of Nunavut and visitors alike, know what NOT to do no more, if they want their next drink next day after working hard like dogs all day. We can certainly handle drinks like you never did smile

#29. Posted by Oh yeah? on March 24, 2015
I was at the meeting they had regarding this and the media stories were way off base. I sat through 2 hours of listening to sad stories from the elders but there were only about 10-15 of them out of the 150 or so that were in the room and the media said most people did NOT want a beer store, which is false.

Had I and others in the room been given the opportunity to speak, they would have found out there were a few “yes” votes, possibly more so. It makes absolute sense to open a beer store because people are purchasing it anyway and spending more money on the bootlegging. There is no way to stop it so it’s better for the Gov’t to control it.

If You want to whine about all the hardship it causes (which everyone agrees on), then fight for a dry community but since it’s not, this is the best way to go. Half of the population can control their alcohol intake and the other half are buying it anyway but paying more.

#30. Posted by Insight on March 24, 2015
#26, I don’t even know if I should respond to the stupidity of your post. If you had done a simple Google search for “How many ounces in a bottle of wine” you would see that a standard bottle of wine has 25oz. But you have wasted more time embarrassing yourself publicly. If you misunderstood what I said and “assumed” I meant the amount of alcohol in a bottle of wine, then a simple read through the rest of my posts (#17 #21) would have corrected that “assumption”..... but hey, lets just troll for the fun of it.

#31. Posted by uvanga on March 24, 2015
i was at the Frobisherinn meeting. THe room was not even big enough to have everyone in the room. Many elders got up and told their sad stories about how alcohol effected them. Or how they screwed up while on alcohol.
Only 2 brave people were able to get up and support the Beer and Wine store. The rest of the yes supporters didnt want to or didnt get a chance to get up and voice out opinions.
I predict that it will be a majority yes vote.
Iqaluit has enough alcohol flowing through the streets, a beer and wine store will effect how much of the flowing alcohol is Vodka.

#32. Posted by INUKTHEHUNTER on March 24, 2015
Hey everybodies.Just vote NO.

#33. Posted by Paul Murphy on March 24, 2015
I will vote a resounding “NO”.

#34. Posted by Nunavu on March 24, 2015
wow goes on and on,anything to try and get peoples attention well you have mine,NO I MEAN NO BEER AND WINE STORE should open at all,it will not benifit anyone for that matter.There is no Addiction awareness place or treatments right now,and they want to open a Beer store.You know this is all WHAT IF,Thing’s are going to Start over again just Like in the Seventies-Family’s looseing family’s.couples breaking up.children left alone,Do you all remember if You are Pregnant you can have a FAS child/THIS IS A FACT NOT FICTION.If you can understand our Tradition and KNowledge you would respect it so far no one has respected at all.If you want to make things better ,i suggest Listen to the People because there are the Expert the Ones Who reside here.
If you want to have a great timeDo it else where you will cause trouble,not ina Community where things can be heard in just few hours or less,Let us work together on this and make a good Decision for today and for tomorrows SAKE.PLEASE VOTE RESPECTFULLY.

#35. Posted by tundra bum on March 24, 2015
All of your bitching is driving me to drink!

#36. Posted by Northerner on March 24, 2015
Let it be, get it on, if you want to up your life, go ahead. did you know that at least 50% FIFTY PERCENT of all hospital visits in the South on Friday and Saturdays are alcohol related? Alcohol s up as much people in the south as it does in the north. I’m tired of Inuit being made to be looked down upon just because we drink, and some of us don’t do it well. I’ve seen people take shits in the middle of bars in the south, never seen that in the north. I’ve seen so much shit in southern bars that I’ve never seen in the north, it’s actually funny. I had a bartender work in the south, he said the womens bathroom is usually littered with used tampons and pads, on the ceilings and stall walls, he said every weekend. I’ve never seen that in the North, granted it may happen, but anything I’ve seen in the North, I’ve seen more of, and worse shit in the South, get your heads out of your asses. bring the beer and wine store, it’s your life, only you can it, or make it good.

#37. Posted by Loee on March 24, 2015
Can you imagine how this will affect other communities who do not get to vote?
Husband or son goes to Iqaluit - gets relatives or others to go purchase a few bottles - or even worse, local people start buying their share and selling it to others not from here.
Has anybody thought about this seriously?
I bet no one has the right or authority to go through luggage at the airport, to determine if we are exporting the problems elsewhere.
If someone is sneaking around like this, do you really think they will get permission from their local alcohol committee????
Come on!

#38. Posted by My Goodness on March 24, 2015
Shake your heads a little, we have high suicide rates and you guys are considering a liquor store,

#39. Posted by That Guy on March 24, 2015
Basically everyone who is saying “NO” to the vote is bringing up the past. let me ask you some questions;

before the liquor store came up here back then, was there a bar or some sort of establishment everyone can go to to hang out and have a couple of drinks?

was there a way alcohol can be brought up here?

was there already alcohol available before the store came up here?

if any of these answers are answered no, then your fight for the “NO to the Beer and Wine Store” can be challenged and you will lose. today we can safely assume that there are several places where one can go to get some drinks. we can get alcohol shipped to us or even bring with us when we travel outside of the town from the south or west. we are currently a “wet community” and that will not change unless the possession of alcohol becomes prohibited and even then it will be hard to eradicate and only giving bootleggers a chance to become rich.

#40. Posted by Dorthy's Little Dog on March 24, 2015
Is the Gov. Nu purposely making it so there are continuous high beer and wine sales, including making hording, addiction normal. It looks like it.

Brick and mortar and online stores do it all the time simply by limiting qualities. Only 1…. must have XXX allowed per customer per day.

Add in a little touch of implied scarcity. If everyone is buying everyday, ”oh oh they may run out. Better buy and stock up. Geez-whiz might go stale better drink up.”

Ring. “Hey Bob, forgot to go buy beer today. You still got lots of beer and wine, you hoarder you? Sure glad there’s people like you. That crazy beer store. How they expect you have a party with a 12 pack of beer?”

So much for ending bootleggers.

What is the real reason the Gov. Nu wants more women beaten, raped and traumatized including children?

Don’t drink but person uses marijuana - also jailed. What’s behind current push jailing, criminalizing Nunavut youth?

#41. Posted by bnuts on March 24, 2015
i so cant wait for this vote. i cant wait till i can get beer here in town!!! what a waste of money paying quebec and first air so i can have a drink. its about time.

#42. Posted by Vote Yes! Vote Yes! Vote Yes! on March 24, 2015
Stop listening to old colonial windbags like Mr. Murphy and Mr. Rose and vote Yes to stop the paternalistic colonial treatment of Inuit in Iqaluit.

Vote Yes! If you want Inuit to be treated like adult Canadians everywhere else in this country.

Vote Yes! If you want to promote responsible healthy drinking.

Vote Yes! If you want to take incentives away from bootleggers.

Vote Yes! If you want to stop putting money into the pockets of the greedy airlines.

Vote Yes! For common sense and freedom of choice.

We are not children, we are adults.

Vote Yes! Vote Yes! Vote Yes!

#43. Posted by Justin Justin Justin on March 24, 2015
So who’s all watching the Justin Beiber roast on comedy central coming up? I think he would have voted yes on this issue, Justin Beiber for Prime Minister <3 <3 <3

#44. Posted by That Guy on March 24, 2015
i’ll bet that the majority of the people that vote “no” will set up an account at the beer and wine store and buy their beer or wine there instead of getting it shipped up here from ordering from out of town, bunch of hypocrites… smh

#45. Posted by Bert Rose on March 24, 2015
Nope - Iqaluit is not the only dry location in Canada.

“The Canadian Press
Published Monday, October 6, 2014 6:14AM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, October 7, 2014 7:00AM EDT

CARDSTON, Alta.—A ban on alcohol sales that has been in place since Alberta became a province will be voted on in a plebiscite in the town of Cardston today.”

Cardston voted to remain dry

#46. Posted by Sam on March 24, 2015
why are so many beating up on the “numbers” and “quantities”? We should look at the frequency also.

And, the store hours.

I will need to be watchful on the outcome, should this actually occur in Iqaluit, given the rise in vandalism, assaults, etc

#47. Posted by Paul Murphy on March 24, 2015
Vote yes??? And you sit there anonymously and name call people who don’t agree with you.

That takes balls (or maybe not) doesn’t it.

And just to make you feel better my vote NO is for all races, not just Inuit.

I say again sit in court for a week or two and watch the number of white guys that go through there as well. There isn’t one line in your whole post that makes sense.

But then you hide behind a false name, unlike those old guys Mr Murphy and Mr Rose.

No class pal no class.

#48. Posted by Old Vienna on March 24, 2015
Question: Today’s adults better with alcohol than their parents in 1970’s in Iqaluit?

#49. Posted by Concerned Inuk on March 24, 2015
#44 assumes everybody buys alcohol. Not everybody does.

The GN is making the sale of beer and wine a priority, simply by proposing to open a beer and wine store.

The GN does not consider the alcohol and drug problems a priority, without any plans to open a treatment centre.

The GN does not know what policies or priorities are!

#50. Posted by uvanga on March 24, 2015
Maybe nunavut needs to open a rehab centre for mouth wash and hair spray. There is a reason why they are locked behind cabinet doors in the stores.
Iqaluit is already a wet community. restrictioin does not work. Never has and never will.

#51. Posted by That Guy on March 24, 2015
to #49

a “Majority” generally means a the greater part or number; the number larger than half the total (opposed to minority)

and when I said (i’ll bet that the majority of the people that vote “no” will set up an account at the beer and wine store) I meant that most of them will, not “everybody” like you thought I wrote down. read and understand the words before commenting on them “Concerned Inuk”

Vote Yes.

#52. Posted by Qiviq on March 24, 2015
Hey, while we’re at it - let’s open a marijuana store in Iqaluit.

If beer and wine is OK, why not weed?

#53. Posted by DK.. Daniel Kong is here on March 24, 2015
Alright people, specifically you nay-sayers. Do you realize why the idea of a beer and wine store is a good thing? For one it limits consumption, people treat hard liquor in this community as a specialty item, and because its also considered a bad thing to be drinking ” the hard stuff” people drink it like water in order to A. get rid of it, B. because they do not want others to drink their share and of course C. because it is not the norm to be drinking most people do not understand the concept of pacing one’s self (or drink measurements).

People, in order to buy these products at the new store, one must become a member so to speak. Meaning you must give your name and possibly number so that they can keep tabs on you.

I cannot tell you if this will have an effect on underage drinking or not. But you cant blame the store for that its the scumbag who bought a twelve pack and decided that ” today ima sell to minors yeehaw.. at an inlfated cost of course!”. We already have those scumbags in town selling hard liquor…

It will put a dent on bootlegging. This is a big one, why should we let these people continue this criminal behavior. Good people become criminals because we allow them too simply because the system has not changed. We all have to work (honestly) for our money soo why not them too. If we have the store open at least we are putting money back into OUR economy.

Some of us dont want to go out to the bar and legion to drink with friends.

Some of us would like to go home after a long hard days work and just relax, and if that means i can do that with a beer in hand then so what.

more bellow..

#54. Posted by DK.. Daniel Kong is here again! on March 24, 2015
Followed..

Look whatever happened in the past was unfortunate but do we still live there? hmmmm, i know i dont, but i am constantly reminded that yeah the past sucked and those people didnt know how to drink and couldnt drink to their limits. This is the present and alot of us CAN drink have fun and NOT get wasted in the process.

Also a little off topic here but if you know you stir things up in the worst of ways when you drink dont blame the booze for your actions, blame yourself and not dealing with your problems head on (and sober) in the first place. Dont drink to numb the pain, deal with it like a man (or woman, i didnt forget about ya’ll”. your problems wont go away because you downed a forty, and hid yourself in the wooden fortress that is your home.

To finish this. When and if this store does open. Let it be known that yes of course there will be an influx in drunks in town. and yes people will jump on that fact and say “See it should never have been opened” but its something new in town and of course people will be excited about it. But like anything else big and new it will simmer down. Who knows when? But it will.

#55. Posted by jimmy on March 24, 2015
Its 2015.. open a liquor store already and dont bother with a limit. Let people drank. I can shotgun 12 beer in 12 minutes. Also, make sure to build a bigger drunk tank preferably a place with a similar capacity of the legion. Boom!

#56. Posted by yup on March 24, 2015
Not allowing beer and wine store only supports bootleggers, think about it. Alcohol becomes super expensive when it goes to other community.

#1. Posted by this Affects Everyone on March 23, 2015
Is this plebisite open to all Nunavummiut, or only to Iqalimmiut?

#2. Posted by outsiders dont know how to drink on March 23, 2015
outsiders will pay extra to the people of Iqaluitmiut to go buy each day till they have the numbers up to pick up and bring or ship out to there home town to boot-leg , telling you this now look at people going back and forth to Pang and Kimmirut stupid Drunks we just had seen , expect the numbers to sky rise for the first year to have jail birds fill the cells , Please take a photo of the opening line up for the first costumer to remember this day if and when the store opens will be ready for the MLA to see or elections to remember as well .boo

#3. Posted by concern on March 23, 2015
Hello, I was in Iqaluit. Also remembering how our life was like way before liquor was permitted. I remember alcohol destroyed our family reputation,suicides,HIV deaths,leaving home and left kids to active drinking family. Still some very active drinkers and families that are not forgiving each other. This alcohol will continue to destroy families as long as we do not have proper Alcohol and Drug Treatment Center in Nunavut. Down south trip to get treatment is very expensive and at times people do not come back home at all. This very active spirit of ugliness well continues to destroy families. It looks like the government didn’t get enough killing our people with their potion of evil stuff.

#4. Posted by how much? on March 23, 2015
12 cans and 2 bottles of wine? Why even bother? Why not a 2/4 and a 60oz. of wine? Why play with 12 cans, and two bottles, makes me laugh, I think this is only for those that can’t even finish half a glass. What’s the matter with you? Just let it go. I will go vote.

#5. Posted by pet projects on March 23, 2015
#1: the article states that you must be a current resident of Iqaluit, so it’s only open to Iqaluimmiut. The GN is a territorial body, they should open any plebiscite to the entirety of their jurisdiction; and inform their final opinions based on by-community outcomes. Is it even legitimate to use Elections Nunavut for the purposes of a jurisdictional plebiscite? Unfortunate they don’t listen to the youth, our largest population by %. Drinking at home impacts youth too, potentially moreso than anyone. Instead their potentially alcoholic parent(s) will have a chance to say “yes”.

#6. Posted by Better on March 23, 2015
Question 1: “Are you in favour of an alcohol and additions treatment facility opening in the City of Iqaluit?”

Question 2: “Are you in favour of a beer and wine store opening in the City of Iqaluit?”

Question 3: “If both, which should open first?”

#7. Posted by Insight on March 23, 2015
There should be NO wine-beer store open. A lot of good posts here to indicate why not. I am in total agreement that it will cause a spread of alcohol to other communities. Almost everyone in every community has a friend or family member in Iqaluit so it will make it very easy for them to get a supply to take back with them. It’s also because of poster #4 there should be no store open. This “limited” amount is still enough to put people in the hospital. This amount is equivalent to 26-28 standard drinks. That’s almost 1/2 a 60oz of spirits…..... I weigh 220lbs and there is no way I would be able to drink that amount without serious consequences. Oh, and poster #4, 2 bottles of wine is pretty much 60oz.

#8. Posted by Samantha on March 23, 2015
To #7: Insight why for one would you drink to the point of harming yourself?
People need to understand that you need to learn your limits for drinking. I see the reason for people drinking themselves to the point where they can harm them selves because they buy from a bootlegger and they don’t buy mix. Whereas if there was a beer and wine store they won’t need mix. Usually they buy a bottle not just for themselves they buy with other people so it seems like it is a race for them to drink the most or fastest.

#9. Posted by Unreal on March 23, 2015
When will you ever grow up you whiny babies?

#10. Posted by Northerner on March 23, 2015
when it sounds like the communities will be flooded with beer and wine,it’s not like there are going to be flats of beer and wine being shipped to the communities. how hard will it be to conceal 12 beer and 2 bottles of wine. Those two equal the amount of 1 miki bottle each, just think about how much alcohol is in 2 750ml of 40% alcohol. Yeah, you may see a little more here and there, but you’d have to bring 10 friends on skidoos from either dorset, pang or kimm to get enough to make any consequence. worth it? relax a little, there will be impacts, but I’m sure there will be less impacts than the hard stuff. 12 beer = 1 miki bottle, not like a 60 ouncer or something. cmon Iqaluit, get with the times. Yellowknife had a full liquor store even when the population was less than 6k people, they’ve survived and thrived. grow up Iqaluit, bring it on, about time. I would rather spend money to drink a 6pack at home than 6 beer at the bar, where it’s loud and its’ hard to relax.

#11. Posted by Northerner on March 23, 2015
HAHA @ #7, do your math. 1 250ml glass of wine is equal to 1 straight shot of 40% alcohol, so a bottle of wine has 750ml, and the last time I checked, that is 3 glasses of wine, or 3 straight shots of alcohol, multiply that by 2 bottles…let me see here…carry the 3..yeah, that’s 1.5 liters of wine, or 6 glasses of wine, and if I’m doing my math right, that equals 6 straight shots of alcohol, which is roughly the amount of alcohol in a miki bottle, not the 60 shots in a 60 ouncer..yeah….i’ll go confirm with Stephen hawkings, make sure I’m right.

#12. Posted by Insight on March 23, 2015
Ok #11, you obviously have some difficulty reading and have no idea about the potency of wine. I never said anything about 2 bottles of wine being the same as a 60oz of spirits. You should try reading a little more clearly next time. Also, you are now saying that 2 bottles of wine is equivalent to 6 shots of spirits…... have you ever had wine, you should probably do a little research before you embarrass yourself….. too late!

#13. Posted by voters want = consequences on March 23, 2015
#8 first step to understand about alcohol abuse is to accept the fact there is no logical answer as to how one can drink without getting drunk on one beer one glass of wine or hard alcohol. Main concern is to help anyone wanting to stop abusing alcohol without a rule book of instruction whether to mix or not mix. A rehab needs to go hand-in-hand with a booze store in a community. The voters of Iqaluit want what you want and there are consequences. What? Did you think you could get booze without paying for the affects on the people? Voters pay for the booze through the front door and the same money pays for the rehab out the back door.

#14. Posted by Insight on March 23, 2015
Samantha, How do you get from what I said that I am going to drink to the point of harming myself??? Please try and read more clearly. My post was addressed to #4 who was stating that the limited amount is nothing and that people should be allowed to get more.

#15. Posted by Do your own math before mocking others on March 23, 2015
A standard drink of wine is 5 ounces (about 150 mL), which is the equivalent of about a 1.5 oz shot alcohol-content wise. That’s five standard drinks per wine bottle, or ten in two bottles, making for about 15 shots’ worth.

So 15 shots worth of wine plus 12 shots worth of beer is indeed pretty close to half a 60, as #7 suggests. That’s enough to do serious damage, #11—but then of course so is the alcohol available from bootleggers, which is hard to eradicate of while a market exists for it.

#16. Posted by C'mon on March 23, 2015
HEY GUYS’ there’s nobody telling you guys to drink it all at once, all the nay Sayers either have a problem controlling their alcohol intake or their neighbour. Either way, you can’t tell me what to do.

#17. Posted by Insight on March 23, 2015
Ok #11, you have inspired me to do some math, thank god I teach it or I would have to go visit Stephen Hawking (No s, with a capital H).

1 Shot 40% is (30ml X 0.40)= 12ml of alcohol
1 Bottle of wine is (750ml X 0.13)= 97.5ml of alcohol

97.5 Divided by 12 = 8.125
So based on the MATH, a bottle of wine is the same as 8.125 shots of 40% alcohol.

(8.125 X 2) + 12 Beers is 28.125 drinks which is what I said in the first place.

#18. Posted by New Math? on March 23, 2015
Hey Insight, using a calculation determine alcohol in ml may not be of much use, and your logic seems incorrrect. Is alcohol measured is vol/vol or mass/vol in Canada?
In Canada, the independent Canadian Public Health Association (CPHA) defines a standard drink to be as follows:

Beer - 341ml/12oz at 5%
Spirits - 43mL/1.5 oz at 40%
Wine - 142mL/5oz at 10-12%

10 beers = 2 bottles of wine = 15 shots of spirits

#19. Posted by Bert Rose on March 23, 2015
I am voting no just for the record

#20. Posted by Calculon on March 23, 2015
There’s a very handy calulator here:
Alcohol by Volume Calculator

A 60 ouncer contains the same amount of alcohol as 39 cans of beer (@5%) or 7.7 (750 mL) bottles of wine (@ 12%).

Beer and wine make lousy contraband and they’re less conducive to pounding. (beer is more conducive to urinating)
The medium is the message.

Also, having it available at a store will take the wind out of bootleggers’ sails (and sales). It might even reduce the availablity of bootleg hard liquor in outlying communities.

#21. Posted by Insight on March 23, 2015
#18, Based on what you wrote, you are only proving my point even further. Thank you for remind me that a beer is equivalent to 1.5oz, forgot that little detail…. Everything else however was pretty much the same…. now it looks like this based on your post.

Wine 750/142= 5.2816

5.2816 X 1.5(equivalent CPHA) = 7.9224(Little less since I used 13% for my wine)

Beer 12 pack (12 X 1.5) = 18

(7.9924 X 2) + 18 = 33.98(Equivalency in fluid ounces)

So now we realize that the amount of alcohol originally discussed is equivalent to over half of a 60oz.

#22. Posted by Science Please on March 23, 2015
Science has shown that there is a different chemical reaction to alcohol between native and non-natives. A genetic trait that was passed down through the generations among southerners. We know this, this is scientific fact. Given this information the Government wants to knowingly endanger one group of individuals for the social benefit of another? So they can make a few extra dollars to pay for programs. Once gene therapy has advanced to the point that Inuit can have the same reaction to alcohol, I really don’t think we should be openly selling it.

Then again, I also think this government should tax pop and chips and use that money to further subsidize healthy food.

#23. Posted by Calm Air & First Air will Hate This on March 23, 2015
No more charging crazy fees to ship tiny packages. Think of the injustice. smile

#24. Posted by Does The Liquor Committee Prefer Hard Liquor on March 23, 2015
A person can order:

2 40oz liquor @ 40% (example 2 bottles of vodka) = 80 drinks
2 cases of beer = 48 drinks
5 bottles of wine = 30 drinks

The most harmful booze is the most available but the least harmful (with health benefits) is the most restricted.

Genius.

#25. Posted by Discounted Concerns on March 23, 2015
What the hey ? I thought EIA held a public meeting where they heard a lot of concerns about the possibility of opening a liquor store ? So EIA discounted the concerns and is just going ahead with the plebiscite ? Seems to me they were driven by an agenda, pretended to listen to the public but barreling ahead with what they want to do anyways.

I have a funny feeling there’ll be a finely veiled campaign for a yes vote.

Did EIA ever consider how to curb illegal hard liquor bootlegging in the first place ? Or provide treatment options ?

A beer and wine store will be a nightmare.

#26. Posted by To #7 learn how to count on March 23, 2015
The liquor restriction protects people like you.

“2 bottles of wine is pretty much 60oz” No, it’s not.

2 bottles of wine is 10-12oz

#27. Posted by finally a reason for a rehab centre on March 24, 2015
Now for the mathematical geniuses on this article. Figure out the percentage of alcohol in each container with the consumption rate vs time over the height and weight of the drinker. Add into this equation the drinker’s quality of living accommodations plus nutritional food intake minus comparative financial levels between those who can afford to drink and those who cannot afford to drink. The total will prove a majority will not benefit from a beer and wine store. A rehab will become another expense to add onto the tax payers tab. Better to charge extra per container toward the new rehab centre coming to Iqaluit…a rehab centre that has been overdue for years.

#28. Posted by Flabbergasted! on March 24, 2015
hey guys, forget about how much alcooh is being provided and by how much quantity. This will hurt the profiteering bootleggers SOOO VERY BADDDD I am dancing like a PRO Inuk chick or some dude is playing Scottish-like stamping on dance floor accordian, square dancing music and lovin’ it!

In early colonial yrs, yes, Eekaaluuit, then Frobisher Bay, NWT did have a beer store and yes, shit happened and ppl died….honest to goodness, that was 1st intro for inuit to alcohol in a settlement, some loved it so much they even tried homebrew and maybe 1,2,3 or maybe more got blinded or died from these poorly made homebrew….drunkenness so badly wanted, needed by these tragic victims! Honest to goodness, hardcore anti beer n wine store advocates - Inuit and northerners alike from this wet Capital City of Nunavut and visitors alike, know what NOT to do no more, if they want their next drink next day after working hard like dogs all day. We can certainly handle drinks like you never did smile

#29. Posted by Oh yeah? on March 24, 2015
I was at the meeting they had regarding this and the media stories were way off base. I sat through 2 hours of listening to sad stories from the elders but there were only about 10-15 of them out of the 150 or so that were in the room and the media said most people did NOT want a beer store, which is false.

Had I and others in the room been given the opportunity to speak, they would have found out there were a few “yes” votes, possibly more so. It makes absolute sense to open a beer store because people are purchasing it anyway and spending more money on the bootlegging. There is no way to stop it so it’s better for the Gov’t to control it.

If You want to whine about all the hardship it causes (which everyone agrees on), then fight for a dry community but since it’s not, this is the best way to go. Half of the population can control their alcohol intake and the other half are buying it anyway but paying more.

#30. Posted by Insight on March 24, 2015
#26, I don’t even know if I should respond to the stupidity of your post. If you had done a simple Google search for “How many ounces in a bottle of wine” you would see that a standard bottle of wine has 25oz. But you have wasted more time embarrassing yourself publicly. If you misunderstood what I said and “assumed” I meant the amount of alcohol in a bottle of wine, then a simple read through the rest of my posts (#17 #21) would have corrected that “assumption”..... but hey, lets just troll for the fun of it.

#31. Posted by uvanga on March 24, 2015
i was at the Frobisherinn meeting. THe room was not even big enough to have everyone in the room. Many elders got up and told their sad stories about how alcohol effected them. Or how they screwed up while on alcohol.
Only 2 brave people were able to get up and support the Beer and Wine store. The rest of the yes supporters didnt want to or didnt get a chance to get up and voice out opinions.
I predict that it will be a majority yes vote.
Iqaluit has enough alcohol flowing through the streets, a beer and wine store will effect how much of the flowing alcohol is Vodka.

#32. Posted by INUKTHEHUNTER on March 24, 2015
Hey everybodies.Just vote NO.

#33. Posted by Paul Murphy on March 24, 2015
I will vote a resounding “NO”.

#34. Posted by Nunavu on March 24, 2015
wow goes on and on,anything to try and get peoples attention well you have mine,NO I MEAN NO BEER AND WINE STORE should open at all,it will not benifit anyone for that matter.There is no Addiction awareness place or treatments right now,and they want to open a Beer store.You know this is all WHAT IF,Thing’s are going to Start over again just Like in the Seventies-Family’s looseing family’s.couples breaking up.children left alone,Do you all remember if You are Pregnant you can have a FAS child/THIS IS A FACT NOT FICTION.If you can understand our Tradition and KNowledge you would respect it so far no one has respected at all.If you want to make things better ,i suggest Listen to the People because there are the Expert the Ones Who reside here.
If you want to have a great timeDo it else where you will cause trouble,not ina Community where things can be heard in just few hours or less,Let us work together on this and make a good Decision for today and for tomorrows SAKE.PLEASE VOTE RESPECTFULLY.

#35. Posted by tundra bum on March 24, 2015
All of your bitching is driving me to drink!

#36. Posted by Northerner on March 24, 2015
Let it be, get it on, if you want to up your life, go ahead. did you know that at least 50% FIFTY PERCENT of all hospital visits in the South on Friday and Saturdays are alcohol related? Alcohol s up as much people in the south as it does in the north. I’m tired of Inuit being made to be looked down upon just because we drink, and some of us don’t do it well. I’ve seen people take shits in the middle of bars in the south, never seen that in the north. I’ve seen so much shit in southern bars that I’ve never seen in the north, it’s actually funny. I had a bartender work in the south, he said the womens bathroom is usually littered with used tampons and pads, on the ceilings and stall walls, he said every weekend. I’ve never seen that in the North, granted it may happen, but anything I’ve seen in the North, I’ve seen more of, and worse shit in the South, get your heads out of your asses. bring the beer and wine store, it’s your life, only you can it, or make it good.

#37. Posted by Loee on March 24, 2015
Can you imagine how this will affect other communities who do not get to vote?
Husband or son goes to Iqaluit - gets relatives or others to go purchase a few bottles - or even worse, local people start buying their share and selling it to others not from here.
Has anybody thought about this seriously?
I bet no one has the right or authority to go through luggage at the airport, to determine if we are exporting the problems elsewhere.
If someone is sneaking around like this, do you really think they will get permission from their local alcohol committee????
Come on!

#38. Posted by My Goodness on March 24, 2015
Shake your heads a little, we have high suicide rates and you guys are considering a liquor store,

#39. Posted by That Guy on March 24, 2015
Basically everyone who is saying “NO” to the vote is bringing up the past. let me ask you some questions;

before the liquor store came up here back then, was there a bar or some sort of establishment everyone can go to to hang out and have a couple of drinks?

was there a way alcohol can be brought up here?

was there already alcohol available before the store came up here?

if any of these answers are answered no, then your fight for the “NO to the Beer and Wine Store” can be challenged and you will lose. today we can safely assume that there are several places where one can go to get some drinks. we can get alcohol shipped to us or even bring with us when we travel outside of the town from the south or west. we are currently a “wet community” and that will not change unless the possession of alcohol becomes prohibited and even then it will be hard to eradicate and only giving bootleggers a chance to become rich.

#40. Posted by Dorthy's Little Dog on March 24, 2015
Is the Gov. Nu purposely making it so there are continuous high beer and wine sales, including making hording, addiction normal. It looks like it.

Brick and mortar and online stores do it all the time simply by limiting qualities. Only 1…. must have XXX allowed per customer per day.

Add in a little touch of implied scarcity. If everyone is buying everyday, ”oh oh they may run out. Better buy and stock up. Geez-whiz might go stale better drink up.”

Ring. “Hey Bob, forgot to go buy beer today. You still got lots of beer and wine, you hoarder you? Sure glad there’s people like you. That crazy beer store. How they expect you have a party with a 12 pack of beer?”

So much for ending bootleggers.

What is the real reason the Gov. Nu wants more women beaten, raped and traumatized including children?

Don’t drink but person uses marijuana - also jailed. What’s behind current push jailing, criminalizing Nunavut youth?

#41. Posted by bnuts on March 24, 2015
i so cant wait for this vote. i cant wait till i can get beer here in town!!! what a waste of money paying quebec and first air so i can have a drink. its about time.

#42. Posted by Vote Yes! Vote Yes! Vote Yes! on March 24, 2015
Stop listening to old colonial windbags like Mr. Murphy and Mr. Rose and vote Yes to stop the paternalistic colonial treatment of Inuit in Iqaluit.

Vote Yes! If you want Inuit to be treated like adult Canadians everywhere else in this country.

Vote Yes! If you want to promote responsible healthy drinking.

Vote Yes! If you want to take incentives away from bootleggers.

Vote Yes! If you want to stop putting money into the pockets of the greedy airlines.

Vote Yes! For common sense and freedom of choice.

We are not children, we are adults.

Vote Yes! Vote Yes! Vote Yes!

#43. Posted by Justin Justin Justin on March 24, 2015
So who’s all watching the Justin Beiber roast on comedy central coming up? I think he would have voted yes on this issue, Justin Beiber for Prime Minister <3 <3 <3

#44. Posted by That Guy on March 24, 2015
i’ll bet that the majority of the people that vote “no” will set up an account at the beer and wine store and buy their beer or wine there instead of getting it shipped up here from ordering from out of town, bunch of hypocrites… smh

#45. Posted by Bert Rose on March 24, 2015
Nope - Iqaluit is not the only dry location in Canada.

“The Canadian Press
Published Monday, October 6, 2014 6:14AM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, October 7, 2014 7:00AM EDT

CARDSTON, Alta.—A ban on alcohol sales that has been in place since Alberta became a province will be voted on in a plebiscite in the town of Cardston today.”

Cardston voted to remain dry

#46. Posted by Sam on March 24, 2015
why are so many beating up on the “numbers” and “quantities”? We should look at the frequency also.

And, the store hours.

I will need to be watchful on the outcome, should this actually occur in Iqaluit, given the rise in vandalism, assaults, etc

#47. Posted by Paul Murphy on March 24, 2015
Vote yes??? And you sit there anonymously and name call people who don’t agree with you.

That takes balls (or maybe not) doesn’t it.

And just to make you feel better my vote NO is for all races, not just Inuit.

I say again sit in court for a week or two and watch the number of white guys that go through there as well. There isn’t one line in your whole post that makes sense.

But then you hide behind a false name, unlike those old guys Mr Murphy and Mr Rose.

No class pal no class.

#48. Posted by Old Vienna on March 24, 2015
Question: Today’s adults better with alcohol than their parents in 1970’s in Iqaluit?

#49. Posted by Concerned Inuk on March 24, 2015
#44 assumes everybody buys alcohol. Not everybody does.

The GN is making the sale of beer and wine a priority, simply by proposing to open a beer and wine store.

The GN does not consider the alcohol and drug problems a priority, without any plans to open a treatment centre.

The GN does not know what policies or priorities are!

#50. Posted by uvanga on March 24, 2015
Maybe nunavut needs to open a rehab centre for mouth wash and hair spray. There is a reason why they are locked behind cabinet doors in the stores.
Iqaluit is already a wet community. restrictioin does not work. Never has and never will.

#51. Posted by That Guy on March 24, 2015
to #49

a “Majority” generally means a the greater part or number; the number larger than half the total (opposed to minority)

and when I said (i’ll bet that the majority of the people that vote “no” will set up an account at the beer and wine store) I meant that most of them will, not “everybody” like you thought I wrote down. read and understand the words before commenting on them “Concerned Inuk”

Vote Yes.

#52. Posted by Qiviq on March 24, 2015
Hey, while we’re at it - let’s open a marijuana store in Iqaluit.

If beer and wine is OK, why not weed?

#53. Posted by DK.. Daniel Kong is here on March 24, 2015
Alright people, specifically you nay-sayers. Do you realize why the idea of a beer and wine store is a good thing? For one it limits consumption, people treat hard liquor in this community as a specialty item, and because its also considered a bad thing to be drinking ” the hard stuff” people drink it like water in order to A. get rid of it, B. because they do not want others to drink their share and of course C. because it is not the norm to be drinking most people do not understand the concept of pacing one’s self (or drink measurements).

People, in order to buy these products at the new store, one must become a member so to speak. Meaning you must give your name and possibly number so that they can keep tabs on you.

I cannot tell you if this will have an effect on underage drinking or not. But you cant blame the store for that its the scumbag who bought a twelve pack and decided that ” today ima sell to minors yeehaw.. at an inlfated cost of course!”. We already have those scumbags in town selling hard liquor…

It will put a dent on bootlegging. This is a big one, why should we let these people continue this criminal behavior. Good people become criminals because we allow them too simply because the system has not changed. We all have to work (honestly) for our money soo why not them too. If we have the store open at least we are putting money back into OUR economy.

Some of us dont want to go out to the bar and legion to drink with friends.

Some of us would like to go home after a long hard days work and just relax, and if that means i can do that with a beer in hand then so what.

more bellow..

#54. Posted by DK.. Daniel Kong is here again! on March 24, 2015
Followed..

Look whatever happened in the past was unfortunate but do we still live there? hmmmm, i know i dont, but i am constantly reminded that yeah the past sucked and those people didnt know how to drink and couldnt drink to their limits. This is the present and alot of us CAN drink have fun and NOT get wasted in the process.

Also a little off topic here but if you know you stir things up in the worst of ways when you drink dont blame the booze for your actions, blame yourself and not dealing with your problems head on (and sober) in the first place. Dont drink to numb the pain, deal with it like a man (or woman, i didnt forget about ya’ll”. your problems wont go away because you downed a forty, and hid yourself in the wooden fortress that is your home.

To finish this. When and if this store does open. Let it be known that yes of course there will be an influx in drunks in town. and yes people will jump on that fact and say “See it should never have been opened” but its something new in town and of course people will be excited about it. But like anything else big and new it will simmer down. Who knows when? But it will.

#55. Posted by jimmy on March 24, 2015
Its 2015.. open a liquor store already and dont bother with a limit. Let people drank. I can shotgun 12 beer in 12 minutes. Also, make sure to build a bigger drunk tank preferably a place with a similar capacity of the legion. Boom!

#56. Posted by yup on March 24, 2015
Not allowing beer and wine store only supports bootleggers, think about it. Alcohol becomes super expensive when it goes to other community.
03-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #15892
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Quite interesting. Thanks for posting that. It's always great to get insight into others' situations, lifestyles, and cultures.

03-24-2015, 05:54 PM   #15893
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm intrigued. How far do you currently have to drive to get a decent bottle of wine for dinner? (Assuming I read correctly and town is currently without an emporium that sells wine?
03-24-2015, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #15894
Pentaxian

If you scroll through that long post at a steady pace of a half second per page, you can see satan cracking open a beer. Very clever.
03-24-2015, 06:17 PM   #15895
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'm intrigued. How far do you currently have to drive to get a decent bottle of wine for dinner? (Assuming I read correctly and town is currently without an emporium that sells wine?
Uuuuh, drive? We have about 13km of gravel road here on Kinngait Island and one K -3 (but it's silver so it doesn't count). Everything is flown in or, once a year, shipped by freighter. To get that bottle you have to get a application from the local liquor committee (Drug and Alcohol Education Committee) who scrutinize your character (if you happen to have one lying about). You then prepay by sending money or electronic funds to Rankin Inlet, three hours away by plane. The liquor warehouse down then packs your bottle and ships it via jet to Iqaluit (two hours again but it's a 737). It's then put on an ATR for a one hour flight backwards to Dorset. Process takes about two weeks. You can then enjoy that special meal with the gal you love. Or, I suppose, bootleg it since it's street value could be upwards of $200.00.

I don't order. Too much like work.

Last edited by jac; 03-24-2015 at 06:34 PM.
03-24-2015, 06:25 PM   #15896
Pentaxian

Doesn't Canada post deliver there? I thought they had to deliver everywhere.
03-24-2015, 06:27 PM   #15897
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you scroll through that long post at a steady pace of a half second per page, you can see satan cracking open a beer. Very clever.
Yup. About half-way through, one guy comments that it's driving him to drink.

---------- Post added 03-24-15 at 09:31 PM ----------

Doesn't Canada post deliver there? I thought they had to deliver everywhere.
Another yup. Canada Post is THE biggest mule in the North. You can get anything you want, at Alice's restaurant. And then have Canada Post pick it up and deliver it. Occasionally they set up scanners to catch those bad people but ...
03-24-2015, 06:42 PM   #15898
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mark's back.
Welcome back Mark. The cricket must have been mind numbing for you. NZ, SA, NZ, SA...NZ!
The next one will be harder.
03-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #15899
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Mark...In the wilder parts of Canada as well as in the Bible Belt of the U.S.A. they have the concept of "dry" county, municipality, town, village, etc. Within the boundary of such alcohol cannot be sold and for some places even possession may be difficult. This causes problems sometimes such as the phenomenon of entire villages being mostly emptied of adults who are in the cities drinking leaving their children back home with relatives.* Such was not intended, but bad things happen even with the best intents.

I guess the trade-offs are worth it though for some places. I lived in a dry village (Bamfield, BC, Canada) for awhile in another life. One or two folk a year would perish doing a drink run to Port Alberni (narrow gravel road with many primitive bridges), but the villagers preferred that to the days when the dark part of the year was one solid drunk. I was told that the turning point came when one of the village's leading men was found face down in the mud at low tide at the end of the dock with a case of beer under each arm. Apparently he became disoriented in the dark, walked off the end and simply perished in the muck. Too drunk to roll over.

The ladies rallied a good number of the men and voted the village dry. At least, that is version of the story I heard.

Steve

* Sadly this happens sometimes. I knew a couple in B.C. who had worked as house parents at a children's shelter in Port McNeil where kids ended up when the last available relative headed into town.

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-24-2015 at 06:53 PM.
03-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #15900
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Mark's back.
Welcome back Mark. The cricket must have been mind numbing for you. NZ, SA, NZ, SA...NZ!
The next one will be harder.
Hi Rod
At times like this I am truly blessed. Last night I was unhappy that my team is out of the World Cup. this morning I'm pleased that my team has won and is now standing a chance to win the World Cup. It pays to have dual citizenship!

Kind regards,
Mark

---------- Post added 03-25-15 at 03:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Uuuuh, drive? We have about 13km of gravel road here on Kinngait Island and one K -3 (but it's silver so it doesn't count). Everything is flown in or, once a year, shipped by freighter. To get that bottle you have to get a application from the local liquor committee (Drug and Alcohol Education Committee) who scrutinize your character (if you happen to have one lying about). You then prepay by sending money or electronic funds to Rankin Inlet, three hours away by plane. The liquor warehouse down then packs your bottle and ships it via jet to Iqaluit (two hours again but it's a 737). It's then put on an ATR for a one hour flight backwards to Dorset. Process takes about two weeks. You can then enjoy that special meal with the gal you love. Or, I suppose, bootleg it since it's street value could be upwards of $200.00.

I don't order. Too much like work.
Drat. She's going to have to be a rather special girl! Time to buy a boat!

---------- Post added 03-25-15 at 03:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Mark...In the wilder parts of Canada as well as in the Bible Belt of the U.S.A. they have the concept of "dry" county, municipality, town, village, etc. Within the boundary of such alcohol cannot be sold and for some places even possession may be difficult. This causes problems sometimes such as the phenomenon of entire villages being mostly emptied of adults who are in the cities drinking leaving their children back home with relatives.* Such was not intended, but bad things happen even with the best intents.

I guess the trade-offs are worth it though for some places. I lived in a dry village (Bamfield, BC, Canada) for awhile in another life. One or two folk a year would perish doing a drink run to Port Alberni (narrow gravel road with many primitive bridges), but the villagers preferred that to the days when the dark part of the year was one solid drunk. I was told that the turning point came when one of the village's leading men was found face down in the mud at low tide at the end of the dock with a case of beer under each arm. Apparently he became disoriented in the dark, walked off the end and simply perished in the muck. Too drunk to roll over.

The ladies rallied a good number of the men and voted the village dry. At least, that is version of the story I heard.

Steve

* Sadly this happens sometimes. I knew a couple in B.C. who had worked as house parents at a children's shelter in Port McNeil where kids ended up when the last available relative headed into town.
How very interesting. Never knew that, and I travelled right across Canada once. We have a bit of a problem with some people binge drinking here too, but I have always taken the approach that (good) wine is not drunk to get drunk. So, I've never understood the tendency of some to see how much they can guzzle in as short a time as possible. With our roads, that leads to death very quickly anyway.

---------- Post added 03-25-15 at 03:11 PM ----------

Backwards - you have to do it backwards!

---------- Post added 03-25-15 at 03:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Uuuuh, drive? We have about 13km of gravel road here on Kinngait Island ..... backwards to Dorset.
Wow. I just googled where you are. That's pretty remote. And I guess winter can be a little chilly?