Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #16366
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Because photographers are creative people, and creative people are best when their minds are wandering wondering?
There. Fixed that for ya ...

04-10-2015, 12:34 PM   #16367
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote
This is the thread that never dies....
conloquium immortal
04-10-2015, 01:34 PM - 2 Likes   #16368
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
conloquium immortal
Does that mean "endless prattle" ?

My latin is a little weak.
04-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #16369
Veteran Member

"Thread immortales mortales inimicitias debere esse."

Loosely based on Titus Livius Patavinus (probably better known to English speakers as Livy which frankly sounds more like a dog's name and doesn't do justice to one of the greatest historians in history).

04-10-2015, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #16370
Veteran Member

Ya'll are just tryin' to sound fancy sayin', folks won't shut up around here.

-- is this when I should duck & run?
04-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #16371
Pentaxian

Ya'll are just tryin' to sound fancy sayin', folks won't shut up around here.

-- is this when I should duck & run?
Depends on whether or not you are in a position to defend yourself, lethal force may be needed.
04-10-2015, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #16372
Veteran Member

Of course, I am. I have a takumar 135 that could knock someone's lights out. If that doesn't work, I'll start spraying velveeta at people.

04-10-2015, 02:18 PM   #16373
Veteran Member

I'll start spraying velveeta at people.
Take it easy there Tina, that would kill some of the food prudes.
04-10-2015, 02:23 PM   #16374
Veteran Member

You're right. I wouldn't want to hurt anyone. Besides, why waste good velveeta when I can throw in a can of Rotel & eat some good dip.
04-10-2015, 02:23 PM   #16375
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Does that mean "endless prattle" ?

My latin is a little weak.
Precisely!
04-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #16376
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
As did the great Frank Zappa, Parallax.

That he did all those freaky albums without the benefit of drugs surely means he had a greater imagination than his chemically enhanced peers!
I'm not much for drugs myself. I've never had a joint. Just being in the same room with someone smoking weed tends to make me ill actually so if I ever did go there it would have to be via pot brownies or something like that. The contact high thing doesn't happen with me for some reason. I just get the heaves if I don't leave in time.

I've had the odd Vicodin or Darvo when it was still available for pain and once after surgery I had Oxy for a few weeks but I don't do well on major chemicals. Even Tylenol can bug my stomach sometimes so I'm very judicious about how many pain killers I take. I'm kind of glad I have been that way actually. The most recent study they did on Tylenol and the like suggests that it acts more like an NSAID than they thought and they're now not suggesting that people with chronic pain do the several doses a day thing.

It's never been good for the liver really. Mine lets me know when I need to ease off actually. I've got a crappy liver. I can't do chemicals well at all. Booze in particular it's just not worth the agony, and I do mean agony. But all this time they've been saying it doesn't upset stomachs and that, is safe to take daily in doses of so much and it turns out it's not safe at all, that no one should be taking that stuff every single say in multiple doses, even minimal ones.

Taking it daily can apparently up your stroke risk considerably, as with any NSAID. If you're on the standard Tylenol/Generic 4-6 doses a day regime it's time to rethink it as that stuff is not your body's best friend apparently. It scares me because these days I can barely function without any. I don't take as much as I am supposed to but still I've been taking it for a decade regularly at least for the chronic pain thing thinking it was the lesser of evils in so far as pain meds are concerned, NOT.

I'm beginning to think chewing on some weed daily might be better for me but unfortunately it's still illegal here. That's one of the reasons I want to go back to the West Coast. I can't even try it here without getting busted. This thing with Tylenol it's been a real downer for me. It was all that was left in so far as being able to take the non heavy duty drugs. It barely works, but it helps some...
04-10-2015, 03:54 PM   #16377
Veteran Member

Tylenol isn't as bad as a lot of meds out there, but taken daily for a long period of time is hard on your liver, among other things. You're probably right about eating some "brownies"...
04-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #16378
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
"Thread immortales mortales inimicitias debere esse."

Loosely based on Titus Livius Patavinus (probably better known to English speakers as Livy which frankly sounds more like a dog's name and doesn't do justice to one of the greatest historians in history).
Why are you talking about liver? This is a cheese thread.
04-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #16379
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I've never had a joint. Just being in the same room with someone smoking weed tends to make me ill actually so if I ever did go there it would have to be via pot brownies or something like that. The contact high thing doesn't happen with me for some reason. I just get the heaves if I don't leave in time. [...] I'm beginning to think chewing on some weed daily might be better for me but unfortunately it's still illegal here. That's one of the reasons I want to go back to the West Coast.
I grew up in the German/Dutch border region where weed is, well ... abundant. I also have a friend here in Scotland (ironically a medical student) who is big on the stuff, and yet I've never had a joint (or cigarette even) in my life. I just find the thought of sucking some weird smoke into my lungs repulsing. I have no problem with other people doing it, though.

QuoteQuote:
If you're on the standard Tylenol/Generic 4-6 doses a day regime it's time to rethink it as that stuff is not your body's best friend apparently.
I have to say that I'm finding it rather weird how many people seem to be be permanently hooked on painkillers. It seems to be much less common here in Europe, in fact in 2012 the BBC reported that Americans consume 80% of the world's painkillers

I currently have to take Diclofenac for a sports injury, but mostly for its anti-inflammatory effects, I couldn't care less about the painkiller aspect. About half a year ago I had a rare instance of a headache so strong that I got out of bed at midnight and went down to the big 24/7 Tesco to get some Paracetamol. When I wandered past a shelf I discovered they sold LEGO, the love of my childhood. Just for fun I grabbed a small kit of a tiny excavator. On the way back I could already feel the cool night air help my headache and when I came home I sat down at the kitchen table and started to build the excavator. When I was done the pain was almost gone, today the pack of Paracetamol is still sitting in a drawer of my desk, unopened.

But I know many people (mostly girls) who just carry around some Ibuprofen, Paracetamol or Aspirin in their wallet/purse/bag all the time and pop one whenever they feel slightly unwell, meanwhile I can't remember the last time I took a painkiller before the Diclofenac I'm taking right now.

I am well aware that there are many unfortunate people who actually have to take painkillers regularly because they suffer from chronic pain etc., but in regard to the rest of the population I cannot help but to feel that we are living in a world of wimps ...
04-10-2015, 09:43 PM   #16380
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

but taken daily for a long period of time is hard on your liver
Enough taken in a short period of time will simply kill you outright!

Steve
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »