Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108794 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2015, 10:25 AM   #16396
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I just hate chlorine ...
Swim in a pristine lake/creek/ocean then

When I looked at your location and then entered it in Google Maps it was described as 'Wilderness area with lakes & campfires' - shouldn't be too difficult to find some water there

04-11-2015, 10:26 AM   #16397
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
My grandfather swam in his pool every morning until he was 91, I think it's one of the main things that kept him up and healthy for so long
Oh absolutely! Exercise is the best way to stay healthy.

My husbands grandfather is 92 and still going strong. He gets up every morning and works with his cattle and tends his garden. I've only seen him down once, and that was when he fell off the porch with a load of firewood in his arms. He's recovered pretty quickly from that and is starting to get back into his old routine. It was tough getting him to sit back and let his family help with his work while he recovered. Lol
04-11-2015, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #16398
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote

My husbands grandfather is 92 and still going strong. He gets up every morning and works with his cattle and tends his garden. I've only seen him down once, and that was when he fell off the porch with a load of firewood in his arms. He's recovered pretty quickly from that and is starting to get back into his old routine. It was tough getting him to sit back and let his family help with his work while he recovered. Lol
For some odd reason, a lot of centenarians live on farms and still go out every day and work. It might be better than even swimming.
04-11-2015, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #16399
Veteran Member

He gets up every morning and works with his cattle and tends his garden. I've only seen him down once, and that was when he fell off the porch with a load of firewood in his arms. He's recovered pretty quickly from that and is starting to get back into his old routine. It was tough getting him to sit back and let his family help with his work while he recovered. Lol
That's impressive - working with cattle at that age is, well ... extremely impressive My grandfather recently complained to his maid about being unable to reach his best friend by phone despite dialling the correct number, when he demonstrated the process to her she pointed out that he was using the TV remote

04-11-2015, 10:39 AM   #16400
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Swim in a pristine lake/creek/ocean then

When I looked at your location and then entered it in Google Maps it was described as 'Wilderness area with lakes & campfires' - shouldn't be too difficult to find some water there
Ya but it's Canada, right now the ice is solid. I can jog on it, but can't swim in it.

An update on how our spring is going.
Opeongo River

Bark Lake

For 2 months of the year we have the cleanest safest water to swim in anywhere. You can drink right out of the lake while you're swimming if you choose. The other 10 months , not so much.

Last summer in warmer times.
04-11-2015, 10:49 AM   #16401
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, the mortality rate for people who exercise and eat a healthy diet is exactly the same as for those who don't.
04-11-2015, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #16402
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Actually, the mortality rate for people who exercise and eat a healthy diet is exactly the same as for those who don't.
Sigh...
Lol

04-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #16403
Veteran Member

No one disputed that, the point was that it is the best way to stay healthy, which is true. Moderate exercise prevents many ailments and people who are active have better wellbeing way into old age than people who don't - on average, of course.
04-11-2015, 10:59 AM - 2 Likes   #16404
Veteran Member

And the main reason for dry skin in America??
towels
04-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #16405
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

LOL
04-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #16406
Veteran Member

If everyone lived to be 100 the world would have been over populated a long time ago.
04-11-2015, 11:01 AM   #16407
Pentaxian

Don't confuse us with facts, we're having a nice day dream here.

But ya, the healthiest guy I knew when i was a kid Mr. May who lived around the corner and one of my freind's step father, used to get up an run for 2 or 3 miles every morning before work, and did all kinds of things to stay fit. He dropped dead of a heart attack when he was 58. My dad played tennis etc until he was 65, but had vision problems and did little but talk on the phone and died at 78. His brother smoked and drank and never exercised beyond his daily walk with the dog, his whole life, and couldn't believe it. He said "Your dad never drank, never smoked always exercised and stayed in shape, I always thought I'd go first."

Uncle Frank lived for almost 10 years after my dad died.
04-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #16408
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

My father had a heart attack at 52 and died of pneumonia at 57. I suspect in his case though, the 2+ packs of unfiltered cigarettes he smoked every day since he was a teenager may have played part.
04-11-2015, 11:24 AM   #16409
Veteran Member

So many variables. We're going to go when it's our time. The only control we have is to make the choices that give us the longest, healthiest, and most quality of life possible. I'm as guilty as the next person of making bad choices.
04-11-2015, 01:10 PM   #16410
Pentaxian

On the subject of Americans and painkillers I have known people who had chronic pain that took Vicodin or morphine and they seemed to act normally. But on the other hand I have had personal experience regarding someone ( a family member), on pain management. Even though he was disabled and had several other medical issues besides the chronic pain (from an unfortunate fall off a roof that did permanent damage to the spine) the Vicodin, muscle relaxers, steroids, and morphine gave him a false sense of wellness. The euphoric feeling from all the meds made him make very irresponsible decisions such as trying to use chain saws, and dangerous power tools in a medicated state. Then said person would become very angry and argumentative and uncooperative at anyone suggesting they stop being dangerous and do something else that wouldn't Get them and other people injured. Driving a vehicle was another issue, which I refuse to ever ride with that person now or even put them in my Vehicle because the meds make them ugly mouthed. Calls to their Dr was very unpleasant as the Dr. Would only tell us that "Morphine and Vicodin doesn't make people act that way", Although my personal Dr of 25 yrs said "Oh yes it does and is exactly why he refuses to prescribe it". Our efforts to make sane suggestions or help with making responsible decisions were unappreciated by said person. Unfortunately it is sad to watch them totally screw up their life and ALL their normal relationships with family and friends due to the pain meds and being over medicated. Heartbreaking actually. The Pain Management office is the worst place to park. Most everyone driving in there is full of morphine and has run out by the time they have an appointment. The patients argue with the lady at the desk where you sign in, you have to get permission to use the 'clean bathrooms' in the back. The accesible bathroom (as in only one toilet) is pissed all over because no one is straight enough to not make a mess. (Lol, I started going down the street to the Starbucks) I stopped going with that person, it was too stressful. The situation became intolerable to the whole family, I know it's not every case but we have and still are experiencing the pain med situation that the pain med Dr.'s don't want to tell you about.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »