Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2015, 02:48 AM - 3 Likes   #16501
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
You use the rabbit-food sammich to attract the oinkers, bop *them* on the head with Velveeta, and there you are with a great mound of bacon. Just takes a wee bit of processing is all!

Jim
😎
My parents had a hobby farm for a few years when I was in high school. Although my dad was not up for it, mom had to have all the animals, chickens, a couple cows, ducks, geese, some rabbits, and even a couple little piglets.

Of course the piglets didn't waste any time growing up to be hogs, which is exactly what mom wanted. Of course it was apparent that she hadn't anticipated just how destructive a couple of full grown swine can be. They continually got free from their pen to uproot everything in the garden and flowerbeds.

But what was really interesting is how one day my Dad suddenly (well for me at least) announced that he and I had some work to do. Directing me to get ready to go out and do some work in the barn he grabbed his 30-06 rifle and down to the barn we went.

I remember thinking it was odd that we were going to work in the barn with a rifle.

Well I soon found out there was definitely going to be some work to do.

There was an A-frame set up with a chainfall, a barrel of water set beneath it over a fire. Turns out Dad had been notified that he was going kill and butcher the hogs.

Apparently he and Mom had never discussed this arrangement when the animals were accumulating.

It was also clear that even though it appeared he was ready, Dad had not worked out every detail. The pig pen was a good distance from the barn, way down in the lower back corner of the property. Of course he marched right on down there, and when his arrival at the pen found the curious hogs right there by the trough resulted in their usual eagerness for slop he pointed the gun at one's forehead and promptly pulled the trigger.

Dropped it right on the spot.

The other hog immediately ran the opposite way, through the electric wire that had finally been employed to keep the adventurous animals from destroying the garden.

I looked at Dad, then I looked up the hill at the barn, which seemed miles away. And it may well have been. Since the now dead slab of bacon and ham probably weighed 500 pounds.

As we tried to work out just how to get the freshly made bacon to the simmering barrel of water I mentioned to him that a coffee can with some cracked corn or oats from the feed barrel in the barn would have led the thing anywhere he wanted it to go.

It was about then that I figured out Dad had never done this sort of thing before. It was a very long day.

The second swine was butchered by a professional who came out with a truck that had a hoist on the back and a barrel mounted up over a propane burner.

04-16-2015, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #16502
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
As we tried to work out just how to get the freshly made bacon to the simmering barrel of water I mentioned to him that a coffee can with some cracked corn or oats from the feed barrel in the barn would have led the thing anywhere he wanted it to go.
And a well placed .22 caliber shot is all that is needed.
Several years ago two friends and I would buy a hog each, average weight of 250 lbs., slaughter them ourselves, then take them to a butcher for cutting and packaging.
That is what got me started curing and smoking my own hams and bacon.
The hams always turned out good, but oh that bacon!
You know it's gonna be good when the smell of hickory smoke fills the air when it hits the pan.

04-16-2015, 08:00 AM - 2 Likes   #16503
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Stanley Cup Made of Bacon - Neatorama
Attached Images

04-16-2015, 08:03 AM   #16504
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
For the first time I'm considering having my picture taken with ta Stanley Cup.

04-16-2015, 09:15 AM   #16505
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Hey, I ate something shaped like that the other day ... but it didn't taste like bacon ...

04-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #16506
Veteran Member

For someone like me who doesn't eat meat this thread can sometimes be ... challenging. All the pictures of bacon and steaks ...

Well, I'll just sit here and enjoy the sunset with a glass of Balvenie (12 yo.).
04-16-2015, 12:00 PM   #16507
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
. . . . . . . . I mean, a US made car in the US - and it's all metric.
Well, not entirely.

Many vehicles manufactured in the US since about the mid to late 1970's have a mix of JIS (metric) and SAE fasteners. Having spent most of my adult life (And all of my pre-adult life! My earliest memory is disassembling a metal toy as a toddler. ) working on anything mechanical, I can attest to the odd mixture of JIS and SAE nuts and bolts on so called American cars, pickups, light and heavy trucks and construction equipment.

One quickly learns to pick them out at a glance, or they find another line of work.

04-16-2015, 12:03 PM   #16508
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
For someone like me who doesn't eat meat this thread can sometimes be ... challenging. All the pictures of bacon and steaks ...

Well, I'll just sit here and enjoy the sunset with a glass of Balvenie (12 yo.).
So, you replaced meat with booze?
04-16-2015, 12:14 PM   #16509
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote

Say my name: Ho-CiR
Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR! Ho-CiR!

04-16-2015, 12:21 PM   #16510
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I tend to agree with Homer Simpson that if we were meant to be vegetarians, animals wouldn't be made of meat.
I concur.

Also, I am a member of PETA.

People

Eating

Tasty

Animals

{and again, a happy smile from the Captain}
04-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #16511
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
For those who do not know, lamb is a great meat. And that looks good.
Yes, it does look very tasty. I love lamb, but Mrs. Racer is not so crazy about it. She will, however, get some on occasion and fix us a very nice dinner.

Mmmmmmmm . . . . . . . . . . tasty!
04-16-2015, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #16512
Veteran Member

So, you replaced meat with booze?
Exactly. And some Italian pasta with a zucchini-aubergine-tomato sauce I just made
04-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #16513
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Now, it has to be said that a New Zealand lamb is not a patch on a Karoo lamb. Here, you see, they only eat lush, green grass, which makes for quick growth but pretty tasteless lambs, while Karoo lambs eat all kinds of interesting little shrubs and stuff, which means they come pre-seasoned!
So the New Zealand lamb would be a clean slate on the grill, you season to taste.

The Karoo lamb coming pre seasoned simply provides a regional flavor, or a somewhat different place to start from in the culinary sense.

For my, I could take it from both sources, and therefore enjoy variety. Oh yes, I would have very happy taste buds!

And being an omnivore, I would probably follow up a delicious meal of lamb and vegetables with a nice glass of good no great old scotch and a Cuban (Cohiba) cigar.

Mmmmmmmm . . . . . . . . . . tasty!
04-16-2015, 03:15 PM   #16514
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Racer, thanks for the 'like' on my lamb image.
I almost didn't bother to check on the generous soul that liked it: I knew it would be you!

btw - it was delicious.
04-16-2015, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #16515
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, it does look very tasty. I love lamb, but Mrs. Racer is not so crazy about it.
Get Ms R to try it as a Turkish-style lighter meal, shredded with salad, garlic and chili sauces, wrapped in a flat bread, with a beer or white wine.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »