Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2015, 03:10 PM   #17056
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
PS
forgot to thank you for the gratuitous like.Thanks.
That image could have looked better;
1. with better light (dull and gloomy most of this week)
2 better time of day
3 better equipment - only have a lowly K5 (not one of those nice shiny Canikons)(or a HociR)
4 better processing (LR5 is at home)
5 better photographer
Aw, shucks. Y'all don't have to thank me. Its what I do!

As for the self critique of the photographic documentary of your journey:

1. Yes, better light is always good.

2. Of course the morning and evening will produce better modeling of the landscape. That is, however, provided the light is coming from the needed direction, and is not creating unwanted shadows.

3. Huh? The K5 group, K5, K5II and K5IIs are all very capable cameras. Ask me how I know.

4. Although not the best option, I always drag my laptop along, so I can look over a day's work while chillaxin' in the overnight accommodations.

5. Oh, come on. Being humble is a great character trait. You know you have it in you. Bring it out!

05-10-2015, 03:17 PM   #17057
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
. . . . . . . and an Airbutts A330 (I think it was 330. Maybe a 320?).
Well it was definitely an Airbutts. No doubt about it, those French have it dialed on with those Airbutts planes.

Too bad they aren't on par with the Swedes when it comes to the butts of their passengers though.
05-10-2015, 03:22 PM   #17058
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
X
Thanks for 3 Likes in a row for a total of 111
05-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #17059
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I wonder what a script writer would turn this thread into!
Bird cage liner maybe?
Okay, joking aside, what this thread should be turned into is a monument to cordial, congenial, civil discourse.

05-10-2015, 07:09 PM   #17060
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Okay, joking aside, what this thread should be turned into is a monument to cordial, congenial, civil discourse.
05-10-2015, 09:59 PM   #17061
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Comfort in airplane seats. Apparently Air Samoa started charging extra for over size passengers, who in return would be allocated a larger seat on the plane, into which they could fit.

Result, enthusiastic buying of larger seats by larger passengers who would then get a more comfortable ride to wherever.

---------- Post added 05-11-15 at 02:30 PM ----------

Airbus?

Recently management decided that everyone in "the tool"* must wear a bump cap. Essentially a baseball cap with a plastic liner that reduces the amount of injury when one bumps their head on something.

Many of us choose to wear our own cap and insert the plastic liner.

Out of about 300 workers in the 777 wing tool there are 4 or 5 who sport an Airbus cap.

After all, there is no rule in the company code of conduct that prohibits the wearing of clothing bearing the logo of a competitor.

Wish I had a cap like that one day at my previous job. Stood up and hit my head on a steel roof support beam, side of head and ear, and crumpled to the ground for a few minutes seeing stars.
05-11-2015, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #17062
Veteran Member

Recently management decided that everyone in "the tool"* must wear a bump cap. Essentially a baseball cap with a plastic liner that reduces the amount of injury when one bumps their head on something.
You know, a lot of guests at my old workplace could use caps like that.

05-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #17063
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
As much fat as they have on them I'm thinking it would be like eating whale blubber. It would probably be an acquired taste kind of thing. Nah, I think not. Food for sharks, maybe, but not for me. ;P
The local salmon fishermen keep hoping for the orca population (also endangered and facing food shortages...) to discover the sea lion gatherings... So far no luck, though. The sea lions are more than willing to swim a long way upriver, but not the orca. :-/

Jim
05-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #17064
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
The local salmon fishermen keep hoping for the orca population (also endangered and facing food shortages...) to discover the sea lion gatherings... So far no luck, though. The sea lions are more than willing to swim a long way upriver, but not the orca. :-/
Apparently climate change is having a really detrimental effect on the Canadian maritime ecosystem though as receding ice allows the orcas to push further north each year (orcas cannot operate under sea ice due to their large dorsal fins), allowing them to threaten the formerly safe breeding grounds of other whale species.
05-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #17065
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
You know, a lot of guests at my old workplace could use caps like that.
And from your neck 'o the woods:

QuoteQuote:
Prof. Spash jumps into 30 cm of water from 11.03 meter at University of Science and Technology in Norway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2N02Y46u3U#t=20

I really don't understand why the guy had to travel to Norway to do it, but hey, if the hosts paid his travel and lodging expenses, why not?
05-11-2015, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #17066
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I like a squirrel now and then.
Ah, that reminds of the dyslexic devil worshipper who sold his soul to Santa.

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Racer quotes Racer!
Did Churchill ever quote Churchill?
Did M L King ever quote M L King?
No, and no. Which indisputably makes our own Racer the greatest of'em all!

Right?
05-11-2015, 10:37 AM   #17067
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Apparently climate change is having a really detrimental effect on the Canadian maritime ecosystem though as receding ice allows the orcas to push further north each year (orcas cannot operate under sea ice due to their large dorsal fins), allowing them to threaten the formerly safe breeding grounds of other whale species.
I think that is a larger effect over in the Atlantic waters, here in the Pacific our local "resident" pods (Puget Sound, Strait of Juan de Fuca, and the inland Salish Sea region), that primarily eat salmon, are endangered because the salmon runs are so diminished (pollution, spawning and nearshore habitat loss, and overfishing in that order). The 'transient' pods that roam the open ocean are in better shape. Those are the ones that go after seals, sea lions, whales, etc...

Jim
05-11-2015, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #17068
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Ah, that reminds of the dyslexic devil worshipper who sold his soul to Santa.
I've heard of him, Savoche ... he lives next door to the dyslexic agnostic who lies awake at night wondering if there's a dog.
05-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #17069
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Thanks for 3 Likes in a row for a total of 111
You know, your founding father, pentaxdude, only had 8 "likes" for his original post.

Well, 9 now ... better late than never.

In a ploy to get him to come back, could y'all please "like" the Alpha-post (#1) which started it all ... pretty please.
05-11-2015, 01:50 PM - 2 Likes   #17070
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
In a ploy to get him to come back, could y'all please "like" the Alpha-post (#1) which started it all ... pretty please.
Just did it, and for the optional accompanying message I wrote: "Oh great founding father, the forum's greatest thread begs for your return!"