Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2015, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #17146
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regardless of what people think of lawyers, the simple fact is that the imperfect conflict resolution principles of the legal system prevent, blood feuds, murders over disputes, and all manner of "honour saving "crimes. Courts have replaced duelling, in many simple arguments and have a much lower casualty rate. IN fact the very notion that the best shot should be the victor in every dispute is pretty much repugnant. I tell as many lawyer jokes as the next guy.... but there are a heck of a lot of people who forced issues before the courts because they were inflexible pigheaded and too stubborn for their own good and instead of thanking the lawyers for saving them from the street justice prevalent in so many countries around the world, in which they had a 50/50 chance of being dead, they blame the lawyer, for their bad judgement in launching the case.

Just my two cents worth.

I blame the lawyers for not doing more for me in my two divorces, but they didn't marry the women, I did.

If you put your well being in the hands of the courts, don't expect some lawyer to save you. He can mount the best defence in the history of justice, and you can still lose. SO which one of you would be the idiot? The one who fought the case, or the one who launched it?

Last edited by normhead; 05-15-2015 at 12:00 PM.
05-15-2015, 12:00 PM   #17147
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Put your phone on airplane - then it does not wake you up, except for the alarm you set.
Put my phone on an airplane?

Why?
05-15-2015, 12:07 PM   #17148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you put your well being in the hands of the courts, don't expect some lawyer to save you.
There's a German saying: "Vor Gericht und auf hoher See sind wir in Gottes Hand." = "Coram iudice et in alto mari sumus in manu Dei." = "In court and on the high seas we're in god's hand."

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Put my phone on an airplane? Why?
Because when it's 11,000m above the ground, hundreds of km away it can't wake you up any more? Too far away to hear.
05-15-2015, 12:13 PM - 2 Likes   #17149
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Skeet.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Pull !!!

BOOM!!!!!

05-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #17150
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I have a strong negative taste reaction to blackberries too. In fact. all types of raspberries. Red or black. My wife has a bout 25 different names for them but to me the effect is all the same. Think fingernails running down a blackboard and that is the sensation I get from eating blackberries/raspberries or whatever.
Although I have always loved the taste of blackberries, the seeds suck. They get caught in between the teeth, and settle into the molars.

And that is why I do not like blackberries.

And that is why I will not buy a K3.

Now pass the blackberry cobbler please.
05-15-2015, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #17151
Pentaxian

BOOM!!!!!

And a "BOOM", to you, too, my dear rAcer !!!

Shown here without its "butt" ... can I say "that" here in this thread ?!

05-15-2015, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #17152
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

BOOM!!!!!

Hah, that boom brought me to 737 - which was in turn what brought me to France

My too-long legs are not made for flying with the El cheapo airlines, though. Way too many seats crammed into that aeroplane

05-15-2015, 02:15 PM   #17153
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I
Lighthouses are so interesting. So this one sounds about 18 meters (60 feet) tall or so?

I bet the steps were let into the outer wall. Is the center of the interior open? What is the diameter of the structure?

Is there a residence for the caretaker?

So many questions, I know!

These days with GPS navigation and radar, lighthouses are not needed for maritime safety. But they clearly are a testament to the scope of the breadth of man's accomplishments. Most are also unique and were created by master craftsmen, and intended to endure extremes of weather.

That line of light houses resulted from the need to protect those sailing from the dangers of that coast, which took many ships, particularly through 19th century. Many monuments to sinkings along the route.

---------- Post added 05-16-15 at 06:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
The others I get. but blackberries? really?

Here if they are on your property you are REQUIRED to spray them to kill them. They are classified as a noxious weed.

Pity they are also nice to eat.

---------- Post added 05-16-15 at 06:59 AM ----------

Put my phone on an airplane?

Why?

Racer, did you read what my grammar says? There was not indefinite article in my post.

"Airplane mode". No transmission, no receiving - therefore incoming does not wake you up. Also means no radiation from the phone - which could be concerning given all the debates arguments etc about whether phone cause cancer, and incidentally, saves battery charge (most power consumption is related to the RF part of the phone).
05-15-2015, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #17154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are yes, blackberries - that noxious weed imported by the early settlers (also know as the English, - later migrants from the Old Dart are called Poms, but more correctly Whinging Poms). As well as blackberries, they imported rabbits and foxes and all sorts of other vermin and weeds. Four rabbits eat as much as one sheep, they breed like, well, rabbits, and back in the 1930s nearly took over the country! Who needs Pol Pot, when you have rabbits!
05-15-2015, 05:12 PM   #17155
Veteran Member

People can eat blackberries and rabbits at least. That's more then you can say about fire ants, asian cockroaches, and killer bees. Well, you could eat them I suppose but I wouldn't, laugh. Some people do eat the wild rabbits we have around. More often the hawks and that around here do, so they do serve a purpose. When I was a kid we used to go picking berries all the time but they tasted nothing like what you buy at the store today. One of the best remembered meals of my childhood was hot dogs and s'mores cooked on a campfire along with paw paws, wild blackberries, raspberries, blueberries and these tiny tiny strawberries that we'd all picked while roaming the woods that day.

My parents used to send me up to the woods on a hill above where we lived to pick paw paws and berries all Summer long. There were always loads of them and they were just wonderful. We also had open fields with various nut and fruit trees like walnuts, hazelnuts, apples, pears, and peaches, though the peaches never did well there. It was too cold in the winter for them. We never bought fruit really except for peaches, oranges, and bananas. I never considered those plants as unwanted weeds. They were way too useful for that. I'm not sure what the Paw Paws qualify as, but to me they kind of tasted like a cross between an apple or pear and a banana. They were a wild edible fruit available in the area I lived in. I was very fond of them as a kid.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/what-are-pawpaws-wild-fruit-midwest-how-t...t-pawpaws.html
05-15-2015, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #17156
Veteran Member

I am thoroughly thrilled to have pawpaws added to this threads food list!
Take that Euell Gibbons!
05-15-2015, 06:30 PM   #17157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I am thoroughly thrilled to have pawpaws added to this threads food list!
Take that Euell Gibbons!
LOL. I wasn't too sure that too many people on here would know what I was talking about, hence the link. They were good eating though. They don't grow here unfortunately so I haven't had any for many years.
05-15-2015, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #17158
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
A lot of people hate lawyers............. until they need one.
When they get the bill, they really hate them.
05-16-2015, 02:28 AM   #17159
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have a friend who is a lawyer. Made him laugh when I suggested he sue the church he had just walked past on his way to work for naming rights, the church was called "St his_name's".
H e said he thought the church might have got the name first.

---------- Post added 05-16-15 at 07:01 PM ----------

Paw paw and papaya - two fruits I always confuse, except I find them very different to eAt - just cannot recognise which is which until I put it in my mouth. Paw paw is nice. Papaya I find is unpleasant.
05-16-2015, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #17160
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Who was it who said: "My idea of waste is a coach load of lawyers going over a cliff with one empty seat."?