Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2015, 10:37 AM - 2 Likes   #17401
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Somebody stole your cheese?
You need these guys: SpecOps - Homepage

Disclaimer: This is NOT a political message ... just know that the "inverse" is true in France.

05-28-2015, 11:06 AM   #17402
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Disclaimer: This is NOT a political message ... just know that the "inverse" is true in France.
Besides, who's to complain? 300 million more people to eat French cheese would drive up the price for the rest of us
05-28-2015, 11:30 AM   #17403
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
or this...
Excellent book from what I understand. All my Facebook friends are raving about it.

Steve
05-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #17404
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why not literature? I mean it's not like we don't talk about everything else, lol.

05-28-2015, 01:57 PM   #17405
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Besides, who's to complain? 300 million more people to eat French cheese would drive up the price for the rest of us
True. Touché ...
05-28-2015, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #17406
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Why not literature?
Do Dilbert books count?
05-28-2015, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #17407
Veteran Member

From my past experience mentioning any legislative differences between the US and other places is not a good idea

05-28-2015, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #17408
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Do Dilbert books count?
Only if cheese is mentioned in a strip.

05-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #17409
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Do Dilbert books count?
Yup. I like Dilbert books actually. I have a few e-book versions. Comics are very much literature IMHO.I used to read Peanuts, Cathy, Dilbert, The Far Side, Brenda Starr, The Phantom, Family Circus, Andy Capp, B.C. Calvin and Hobbes, LuAnn, For Better For Worse, Wizard of ID and Doonesbury all the time actually. Others too but I can't remember them all right now. I don't read the comics as much lately. When I do it's usually vintage superhero and creepy stuff. A lot of it is out now digitally. Some is legal, some is admittedly not. A lot of the stuff that is out of print you can actually read in e-book format.

Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Batman, Superman, Dr Strange, and Spiderman mostly. Tales From the Crypt, Creepy, Eerie, Vaults of Horror, Tomb of Dracula, Dark Shadows, Fright Night, that kind of stuff. Actually those were my favorite comics as a kid. This one bookstore here they used to have tons and tons of old comics for like 25 cents a pop before they all became such huge collector's items. I used to go and spend an afternoon every month looking through 8 huge bins of them for the old horror comics. They had tons of magazines like Fangoria and Famous Monsters too and the best horror paperbacks section. The woman who owned the store, she liked me a lot. I'd go in and come out with dozens of old comics and that, only about half of which she'd ever let me pay for. She knew my reading list could never keep up with my chore money.

She and the local librarian they let me have whatever amount of books etc I might want. I pretty much had no limits either in terms of quantity or pocket money not when it came to books, comics and stuff. My Mom she hated the gore comics, thought they were morbid and didn't want me reading those or racy books meant for adults, but ultimately she had no control over me or what I read. I could easily get around my parents on that score and usually did. I was a precocious little brat who read so much that I practically rotted my little brain. I hated going outside to play. My idea of a great Summer was one where my babysitter didn't nag me to go outside so much when I was sitting in the cool of her den with a pile of books. She used to make me go outside to play with her son and his friends. I wanted nothing to do with them. They were all brats and bullies, including him.

She could make me go outside but she couldn't make me give up my books or stay outside in the sun. My Mom backed me up on that one. The first time she took the pile away and tried to make me go out of the shade of the garage I had a total hissy fit, something I was not given to normally. I told my Mom and she put her foot down because me getting heat stroke wasn't cool and given she was a big reader herself she didn't appreciate the babysitter making me stop. But the babysitter she was bound and determined to turn me into a "normal" kid, socialize me. She meant well but it never worked. I was a 20 year old in an 8 year old's body. The other kids didn't know what to make of me and they always disliked me from the get go. Very rarely did I meet another kid I could connect with at that age. I'm still a bit of a loner and prefer reading to most people. I do have friends now but I'm not a person who willingly socializes a lot. The few I do socialize with they get all the weird stuff I'm into and they were mostly considered "freaks" and "geeks" growing up too.

Honestly 99% of the time I prefer a good book to going out, dealing with real people. I always have like 400 books going on each reader. I read everywhere I can. I used to walk around with a book under my nose nearly all the time. Now I walk around with a tablet. I gave up my local library card this year actually, didn't renew it. There was just no point. They have basically turned the place into an internet coffee café. They've sold off so many books and movies it's terrible. They don't buy new ones anymore unless they're digital and they have a strict limit of 8 per month so for me it's pretty darned useless, their digital book program. I have to wait 8 weeks sometimes besides. Not worth it. Not when I have more e-books than I can probably read over the rest of my life, even at the rate I read them.

I probably have half the Gutenberg Library Online downloaded at this point, I think, lol. I started with the digital books thing early. At this point I know I have more books than my local branch library. They're pretty redundant now unfortunately. I used to have more sympathy until they started selling off so many things and started buying more coffee than readable/watchable stuff. Now I honestly don't care. They're no longer a proper library. So why bother?
05-28-2015, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #17410
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mag, no Footrot Flats??
Shame.
05-28-2015, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #17411
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Batman, Superman, Dr Strange, and Spiderman mostly. Tales From the Crypt, Creepy, Eerie, Vaults of Horror, Tomb of Dracula, Dark Shadows, Fright Night, that kind of stuff.
The Tick??
05-28-2015, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #17412
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joel b Quote
the tick??
spoooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added May 28th, 2015 at 05:16 PM ----------

How about the Fabulous Furry Freak Bros - perfect for this thread
05-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #17413
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Mag, no Footrot Flats?? Shame.
I've never seen it. It was never in any paper we got, I guess. Ditto the other strips just mentioned. I've ever even heard about them till just now. I'll check them out if I can find some strips online...Oh, wait, Fabulous Furry Freak Bros I think one of my early roomies may have liked them. I seem to remember a T-shirt design with them. She liked the indie and subversive comics. They're not really my thing, and after reading the wiki on them I don't think I'd have cared for the strip and it's tops. Mostly I liked DC, Marvel and all the really gross horror comics when I was a kid.

Last edited by magkelly; 05-28-2015 at 05:52 PM.
05-28-2015, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #17414
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns `n cheese, just missing the pork...
05-28-2015, 11:30 PM   #17415
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why would I buy a K3 when I can buy this?-

Pentax IST DS Digital Camera Body AND Attached Sigma DC 18 125mm Lens | eBay

...wishful thinking!
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »