QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
wierd
Or wired.

07-10-2015, 03:01 PM   #18107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Every now and then someone questions the point of this thread. And, then we have the enlightening post of Fries here who, in one post gets it right by talking of black and white TV, chocolate, dancing, kings and princesses, pork, mustard and cheese. Bravo! Goed gedaan!
You are welcome! I am a journalist so I used to combine al sorts of stuff in one story. Just curious, are you of Dutch decent?

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The band's founder passed away last month, BTW.

Not sure if he owned a 645Z, although he did sing 'You sexy thing.'
I didn't know... Perhaps Pentax should adopt it as a theme song to use in advertising? I can already imagine a tv-ad starting with a heavy dose of smoke with the camera appearing trough it. In the hands of actual users with the music playing...

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
A very fine song! So much good music was created around that time. But my memory played tricks on me and the actual thing I saw was this. Which in my humble opinion wasn't as good.
07-10-2015, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #18108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I had a root canal yesterday and this thread is the perfect companion reading source.
07-10-2015, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #18109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well, I had a root canal yesterday and this thread is the perfect companion reading source.
What hurts more, reading this thread, or the root canal?

07-10-2015, 07:48 PM   #18110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Norm, there are anaesthetics, analgesics, and aspirin for physical pain: there is no such relief for this thread.
(except possibly an induced coma!)
07-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #18111
Veteran Member

I before E except after C, when the sound is "ee"
07-10-2015, 08:47 PM   #18112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What hurts more, reading this thread, or the root canal?
Well, it was an interesting experience this time around. The problem was that a lower molar on my right side and all the pain manifestation was above the molars on my upper left side. So when the novocaine was applied, the numbness was mostly in the wrong place. So when the doctor got down to business thee were some rather interesting moments where "discomfort" was experienced. The doctor even stopped once to give me more novocaine.

However, today I am experiencing no real pain so this thread may be inching towards hurting more. I think I need to get a look at my schematics as something is obviously wrong with my wiring. But then again that may apply to a lot of participants on this thread.

07-10-2015, 10:10 PM   #18113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
that may apply to a lot of participants on this thread.

07-10-2015, 10:30 PM   #18114
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
You are welcome! I am a journalist so I used to combine al sorts of stuff in one story. Just curious, are you of Dutch decent?

I'm South African. We had Dutch at school and Afrikaans (one of my languages) is just kitchen Dutch!

07-11-2015, 01:24 AM   #18115
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Had to google that one. :LOL:
She never ceases to amaze me with her grasp of language bits from the Victorian era.
07-11-2015, 01:45 AM   #18116
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
NHRA museum in Pomona CA.
Nice.

I saw that car, and many others like it, way back in the late 1960's. These days there is an annual reunion near my home. The Arlington airport was a military base during WWII. After the war the Navy and the Army left. Someone thought the long runways would make a great dragstrip, so in the 1950's and 1960's racing was quite popular there. And the gassers were always the headliners.

Today the airport is growing as a general aviation facility. Glasair has a factory there, building sport planes. There are also several aerospace contractors there.

And of course the company that I drove trucks for during the last 5 years is based there.
07-11-2015, 02:32 PM   #18117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'm South African. We had Dutch at school and Afrikaans (one of my languages) is just kitchen Dutch!

It might by kitchen Dutch, but you nailed it! Speaking of languages and their history; one of my language is Frysk (spoken in one northern province of the Netherlands) and there is one short rhyme that is supposed to be from the fifteenth century. It goes like this:

Būter, brea en griene tsjiis
(Butter, rye bread and green cheese)
Wa dat net sizze kin, is gjin oprjochte Fries
(If you can't pronounce that, you are no a real Frisian)

This rhyme had a rather practical purpose. The Frisians were at war with the guy's from Holland and attacked trading ships. Upon capture the whole crew had to repeat the rhyme to make sure there were no Frisians crew members among them. The ones who couldn't say the rhyme properly were tossed overboard. But noting was captured on camera and that is why I won't buy (another) K-3..
07-11-2015, 11:01 PM   #18118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found my antidote to 3K.
Wavian Jerry Can

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 07-12-2015 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Fat fingers on a laptop key-board.
07-12-2015, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #18119
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
It might by kitchen Dutch, but you nailed it! Speaking of languages and their history; one of my language is Frysk (spoken in one northern province of the Netherlands) and there is one short rhyme that is supposed to be from the fifteenth century. It goes like this:

Būter, brea en griene tsjiis
(Butter, rye bread and green cheese)
Wa dat net sizze kin, is gjin oprjochte Fries
(If you can't pronounce that, you are no a real Frisian)

This rhyme had a rather practical purpose. The Frisians were at war with the guy's from Holland and attacked trading ships. Upon capture the whole crew had to repeat the rhyme to make sure there were no Frisians crew members among them. The ones who couldn't say the rhyme properly were tossed overboard. But noting was captured on camera and that is why I won't buy (another) K-3..
Thanks for sharing! In Afrikaans there's a few similarities to some of those words:
Buter = botter
Griene = groene
Gjin = geen
Oprjochte = opregte

But, some words are decidedly different:
Brea = brood
Tsjiis = kaas

There's also the very interesting vowel shift that occured, much like what is called "The Great Vowel Shift" for the English language, but which actually affected most of the Germanic languages. Thats why you see words like your "griene" becoming in a later language "groene". My family name is Jerling, but in the 1700's, that was still spelt Jarling.
07-12-2015, 03:10 AM   #18120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What happened?
How did we get into a Dutch/Africaans language discussion.

(Well I suppose it is better than a cricket discussion at the moment!)