Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2015, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #18586
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
JP, On a serious note, my wife has two uncles that are buried side by side in the American Cemetery in Epinal.

08-21-2015, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #18587
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Hey ... that's my catch phrase.
Sorry. It was meant as homage.

(How's that for PhD? )

Last edited by Parallax; 08-21-2015 at 02:53 PM.
08-22-2015, 02:39 AM   #18588
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Since discussions of lutefisk have died down there has been a complete lack of fish on this thread! This situation is unbearable.

That looks real tasty. Well, at least the salmon anyway.

I suppose you used that green and yellow stuff to hold the fish up while you steamed it to perfection.

Right?

08-22-2015, 02:49 AM   #18589
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
...and when posting images to this thread, which camera do we not use?

Anyone?

No?
That which we shall not speaketh my son.

08-22-2015, 07:27 AM - 2 Likes   #18590
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One day left here to visit Normandy then back home. Saw the American Cemetery today. An excellent site that I should have visited many years earlier.
SWEET!! From what I have heard, this is the place where love for the liberators has not abated, and if your a veteran they will treat you like a king!! Northern Italy is another!!
08-22-2015, 09:43 AM - 2 Likes   #18591
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

One day left here to visit Normandy then back home. Saw the American Cemetery today. An excellent site that I should have visited many years earlier.
What captured me about the place was the serenity. Quite a contrast to the madness that demanded these young men's sacrifice. Indeed an excellent site, one I am glad to have visited.
08-23-2015, 08:38 AM - 2 Likes   #18592
Pentaxian

Hi guys and gals ... back home from a week in Normandy with a not-to-be-named DSLR and had a great time ... other than a "mark" on my cheek.

G.A.W. ... if you want, send me a PM with your wife's uncles' names, and if I find myself in Epinal, I will take an image ... if you do not have one.

" HERE RESTS IN HONORED GLORY A COMRADE IN ARMS KNOWN BUT TO GOD "

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #18593
Pentaxian

These places are quite chilling, to see so many memorials, each to one person, all together in one place. And those who were so obliterated as to be not identifiable as to be buried in an unidentified grave is also very sad. In Australia, every once in a while, we get news of the finding of some set of war graves, usually WWI western front, where there were many bodies, and the government goes to considerable effort to exhume the remains, identify the lost by genetic comparison with family members still living, and then given them identified graves. The number of living people to include int he tests is not too big since the number of unidentified lost known to be in units in action at particular sites is actually quite modest. Usually the family are aware of the general area where the unidentified lost were most likely to have been when they were lost.
08-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #18594
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tim, if you are interested in how the biggest 'find' was made, read Fromelles by Patrick Lindsay. - a good read but chilling in respect to the waste of war.
08-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #18595
Veteran Member

Talking about cemeteries - a mate and I wanted to explore a really old one in Dundee's city centre today. For some reason there was a lot of smoke in the air and the second we stepped through the gates we realised that one of the trees was on fire. Some people behind us called the emergency services, police and firefighters came and there was a big commotion. It was pretty obvious arson (trees don't catch fire by themselves) and having been the first on the scene we just hoped no one would assume it was us

08-24-2015, 10:20 PM   #18596
Pentaxian

Quite interesting. In the end nothing serious but quite fun to look back on.

At my last job, one day I looked out the window and there was a carpark with several fire trucks. Turned out they had come for a burst hot water, for the airconditioner. A big mess with flooded carpets etc.
08-25-2015, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #18597
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

It was pretty obvious arson (trees don't catch fire by themselves) and having been the first on the scene we just hoped no one would assume it was us
"The hociR made me do it"???
08-25-2015, 02:12 AM   #18598
Veteran Member

Hm, maybe that's why I enjoy lighting things on fire so much.
08-25-2015, 03:07 AM   #18599
Pentaxian

Talking about cemeteries - a mate and I wanted to explore a really old one in Dundee's city centre today. For some reason there was a lot of smoke in the air and the second we stepped through the gates we realised that one of the trees was on fire. Some people behind us called the emergency services, police and firefighters came and there was a big commotion. It was pretty obvious arson (trees don't catch fire by themselves) and having been the first on the scene we just hoped no one would assume it was us
That's what they all say ...

---------- Post added 08-25-15 at 12:11 ----------

By the way, where were you when ... http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/fire-ricoh-arena-no-just-3902147

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 08-25-2015 at 03:13 AM.
08-25-2015, 06:33 AM   #18600
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
Hm, maybe that's why I enjoy lighting things on fire so much.
Now that you mention it - I don't really remember how I got there. All I know is that suddenly I was standing there, amidst the smoke, sirens coming closer in the background, with that camera in hand, and started to take pictures.

Do you think it has a mind control chip inside? Does it turn me into Hyde?!

By the way, where were you when ...
I don't know where I was, I DON'T KNOW! Oh god, what is happening to me?!