Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2015, 06:08 PM   #20446
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The numbers were pretty small, like an increase of 8% in a cancer that affects 16% of the population. .08 x .16 that's a 1.28 % of getting that cancer. So you can reduce you odds from 16% to 15%, but you have to give up bacon and hotdogs, and that's only if you eat them quite often. It's probably blasphemy to say it on this thread but I probably don't eat bacon of hotdogs 10 times a year. I think I'm safe.

The most relevant part was probably directed at those who pack processed meats in their kid school lunches every day, or their own. I was a bagels and cream cheese guy, so, not really affected.

10-26-2015, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #20447
Veteran Member

10-27-2015, 12:52 AM   #20448
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
So that means bacon lovers will have to remove colons from their typing?

I suppose: but I love bacon: and I'm not giving it up: nothing beats the tasty delight of a BLT sammich!

:nothing:
10-27-2015, 12:53 AM   #20449
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

This is a snack I made today involving real cheese and enough bacon to give the heart some exercise.

Looks tasty!

10-27-2015, 01:26 AM - 2 Likes   #20450
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's important tp remember that these "tests" are highly subjective. To know how accurate this data on the chances of bacon killing anyone is, we would need to know how the test was conducted, on which test subjects. Was there a control group - the size of the sample population. If this is based upon animal testing, then it's very probably quite inaccurate. I just hope that you all stop eating bacon as result of the risk. That will bring the price of bacon down and I'll have to sacrifice myself to save you lot, by eating all the bacon. You can thank me now.
10-27-2015, 02:14 AM - 1 Like   #20451
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The Beeb said, tonight, that bacon, at 50g per day, increases the risk of colon cancer by 20%. So that means bacon lovers will have to remove colons from their typing?
Ah, reminds me...

Dilbert Comic Strip on 1994-06-08 | Dilbert by Scott Adams
10-27-2015, 04:34 AM   #20452
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It's important tp remember that these "tests" are highly subjective. To know how accurate this data on the chances of bacon killing anyone is, we would need to know how the test was conducted, on which test subjects. Was there a control group - the size of the sample population. If this is based upon animal testing, then it's very probably quite inaccurate. I just hope that you all stop eating bacon as result of the risk. That will bring the price of bacon down and I'll have to sacrifice myself to save you lot, by eating all the bacon. You can thank me now.
Merci ... and as an added note, there's a few "substitutes" out there on the market.

10-27-2015, 04:38 AM   #20453
Pentaxian

I don't get it ...

10-27-2015, 05:00 AM   #20454
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
To determine how much credence to give the study we would also have to know what result the person(s) conducting the study wanted/expected. In any studies of this type there are almost never any surprises. They yeild the answer wanted by whomever is funding/directing them.

Last edited by Parallax; 10-27-2015 at 05:06 AM.
10-27-2015, 05:55 AM   #20455
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
To determine how much credence to give the study we would also have to know what result the person(s) conducting the study wanted/expected. In any studies of this type there are almost never any surprises. They yeild the answer wanted by whomever is funding/directing them.
Are you suggesting there's some sort of anti-bacon special interest group funding this research? I wonder if they're the same group who tried to take down eggs back in the Nineties with the claims about increasing the risk of heart disease.
10-27-2015, 06:04 AM   #20456
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JibbaJab Quote
Are you suggesting there's some sort of anti-bacon special interest group funding this research? I wonder if they're the same group who tried to take down eggs back in the Nineties with the claims about increasing the risk of heart disease
There are a number of groups who would have us all on the Jack LaLane diet. Years ago, in an interview, he was asked what his advice on diet was.
His answer: "If it tastes good, spit it out."
10-27-2015, 06:37 AM   #20457
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
There are a number of groups who would have us all on the Jack LaLane diet. Years ago, in an interview, he was asked what his advice on diet was.
His answer: "If it tastes good, spit it out."
Sound advice. If you actually do that, life would suck, but it will help you lose weight.
10-27-2015, 06:38 AM   #20458
Veteran Member

I've cured and smoked bacon since around 1980,
I belong to a bbq/grilling forum, and in 2011 I posted a thread "Bacon Made Easy" showing how easy it is to make.
Many members have tried it, rave about it, and swear off store bought bacon.
The thread was made a sticky, and has over 79,000 views.
Should I feel bad?
Is it suicide if you make and eat your own bacon?
Too profound for me to decide this morning, I think I'll fry up a few rashers think about it.

10-27-2015, 06:43 AM   #20459
Pentaxian

My first ex was a lab tech in the cancer research community. The struggle for grants is always intense. I swear the most common phrase in research like this is, "This needs further study." And if the powers agree to that the next line is "We just happen to have a lab suited to this kind of study." I'm not saying good and useful work doesn't get done, but lot of studies suggest there might be something, without really even trying to figure out what that might be. Labs have to do research to exist... but that doesn't mean the people who run the labs have useful insight into what they should be studying.

The type of statistical analysis study you see here is by far the most dangerous. Years ago, everyone got on the anti fat bandwagon. We all had grandparents who totally pigged out on fat whenever they could get it, and lived to be 90, but hey fat is bad. Turns out most of the fatty foods they used in their studies also had sugar in them. Now 30 years later, they re saying, "we don't know if it's the fat or the sugar" or maybe even the combination of both. This type of study is very little better than straight up ignorance. What is amazing to me, is that this type of study even gets reported, even though they are the basis for the trials for almost every modern drug. They have proven to be the source of mis-information over and over again. They should be locked away from the public, until real research can be completed, More harm has been done by people mis-representing this type of study, than any good that will ever come from them.

And honestly, anyone recommending lifestyle changes based on a study like this, that probably has 200 identified factors and thousands of unidentified factors, is a quack.
10-27-2015, 06:46 AM   #20460
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I don't get it ...
I'm not sure I want to...