Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2015, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #20476
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
My problem with reducing sugar intake is that I don't have a sweet tooth, I have a mouth full of sweet teeth.
pie, cake, cookies, you name it and I crave it after every lunch or dinner.
I am a chocoholic...

10-27-2015, 04:44 PM   #20477
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And I try to pay for my sin by Cycling or "Skikeing".
Soo... no time for the ...livE
10-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #20478
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I have a mouth full of sweet teeth.
pie, cake, cookies, you name it and I crave it after every lunch or dinner.
Sounds like one of my cats. Drug sniffing dogs? Pft. I have a sugar sniffing cat.
10-27-2015, 05:34 PM   #20479
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Sounds like one of my cats. Drug sniffing dogs? Pft. I have a sugar sniffing cat.
My cat could tell if I was thinking about eating a turkey dog.

10-27-2015, 07:15 PM   #20480
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
t's important tp remember that these "tests" are highly subjective. To know how accurate this data on the chances of bacon killing anyone is, we would need to know how the test was conducted, on which test subjects. Was there a control group - the size of the sample population. If this is based upon animal testing, then it's very probably quite inaccurate. I just hope that you all stop eating bacon as result of the risk. That will bring the price of bacon down and I'll have to sacrifice myself to save you lot, by eating all the bacon. You can thank me now.
The bad news is that the link between smoked/cured meats and cancer has been known for more than four decades. Yesterday's announcement only made it official from a classification standpoint. You can expect a similar listing for some fresh meat preparations (high temperature grilling and such) in the near future. As with cured meats, the association has long been known.

BTW...I am not a vegan and include meat in my diet.

Edit: This article in Wired sums the matter up nicely:

http://www.wired.com/2015/10/who-does-bacon-cause-cancer-sort-of-but-not-really/

Steve

(...now about that colonoscopy...)

(...will a tin foil hat ward off hordes of mindless snageV???)

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-27-2015 at 07:24 PM.
10-27-2015, 07:34 PM   #20481
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'll tale my antioxidants and eat bacon and grilled meat. After all, I am immune to cancer and many other diseases. It is due to my part fae and part extraterrestrial ancestry.......

You know, the truth is out there........
10-27-2015, 08:50 PM   #20482
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
It is due to my part fae and part extraterrestrial ancestry....
Fae ancestry will cover a multitude of ills. As for the extraterrestrial part, I think those of us involved had best keep it quiet.

Steve

10-27-2015, 10:44 PM - 1 Like   #20483
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
A friend of mine, now retired, with a statistics and maths masters degree, actually had the job of sitting in meetings and having to ask the question: "What result would you like to see at the end of the research?" Some poeple in the meeetings got it - others did not. It all boils down to who funds it, where that funding is coming from and why.
Having delved deeper into much of the "research" around global warming, I'm not convinced we humans are nearly as much to blame as we're often told we are.
There are lies, damn lies and then statistics. The real problem is statistics are easily manipulated by many factors. My daughter recently took statistics in university, and she calls it "lying through numbers". I could not come up with a better description myself
10-27-2015, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #20484
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I suppose: but I love bacon: and I'm not giving it up: nothing beats the tasty delight of a BLT sammich!

:nothing:
Watch out that your colon ":" does not grow bits and become a semicolon ";".

---------- Post added 10-28-15 at 04:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Exactly! There's been more than one food that has been discovered to slightly increase the risk of certain cancers or other conditions, but lower the risk still others.
In all seriousness (really), let's acquiesce that bacon, hot dogs, etc, increase the risk colon cancer by 20% from a statistical 5% to 6%. How do we know that eating bacon regularly doesn't decrease by 50% the risk of stomach, hepatic, or pancreatic cancer?
Aspirin used to be a horrible drug. it increased the risk of stroke, gastrointestinal bleeding, and had several other untoward effects. Then it was discovered that one a day decreases the risk of heart attack by as much as 50%. Now it's a wonder drug that everyone over 40 should take daily.
As foods go, maybe bacon is the next kale?
They all reduce the risk of starvation, and boredom.
10-28-2015, 05:55 AM   #20485
Pentaxian

Or as my dad said, reading a study is useless if you don't have the raw data. Most of the time the biggest findings in the raw data are not in the published report. If these guys are talking about 800 studies, I guarantee you no one went through 800 studies checking for design flaws and weighting results based on peer reviewed criticisms.
10-28-2015, 05:55 AM   #20486
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
They all reduce the risk of starvation, and boredom.
Good point!
10-28-2015, 06:22 AM   #20487
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I am a chocoholic...
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
And I try to pay for my sin by Cycling or "Skikeing".
If you use the BABYMETAL workout, you can eat all the chocolate you want!

Warning: contains BABYMETAL, a Japanese Idol/speedmetal band. Yes, that's a thing, apparently.
10-28-2015, 06:34 AM   #20488
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

1 in 1000 that ate no bacon or processed meat got colon cancer.
1 1/2 in 1000 that ate bacon and processed meat got colon cancer....a 50% increase in risk, even though they counted that half-assed person as a full victim.

Genetics override statistics but there is no way to factor genetics...yet. My ancestors came from Ireland, where their entire village was decimated by smallpox, yet not a single member of my family on my mothers side contracted the disease. It was only a few decades ago that it was discovered they had a genetic immunity.

We know a lot of things, guess at a lot more, and have an ocean of things still a total mystery. There is no mystery in bacon, it is damn good stuff!
So is Velveeta.....depending on your genetics of course!
Regards!
10-28-2015, 07:54 AM   #20489
Veteran Member

Kum ba yah

10-28-2015, 08:03 AM   #20490
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah. The 5 basic food groups.
Sugar, salt, cholesterol, alcohol, and caffeine.