Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2015, 03:12 PM   #20506
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Last time I flew out of Edinburgh I realised right at the security check that I had my Swiss officer knife in my pocket. Thought "Alright, that's it then, I'll finally lose it.". Made a sad face, handed it to the security guy, he had a five second look at it, extended some tools, then put it in the tray and said it's perfectly fine
Pre 9/11 I flew NY to JHB with all the following in my hand luggage:
  1. Full set of chrome window bezels for a 1948 Wayne gasoline bowser.
  2. Metric socket set
  3. 1957 Ford water pump
  4. '57 Ford water pump rebuild kit
  5. 1972 Delco HD ambulance spec alternator
  6. A distributor cap for 272/292 Y-block V8

Said "hand luggage" weighed more than 20kg. The ground hostess who tried, and failed, to hand it to me at the end of the conveyor after the X-ray said: "You're not going to put that in the overhead compartment, are you?" Needless to say, I did not. Those were the days!

10-29-2015, 03:22 PM   #20507
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Most of the time the biggest findings in the raw data are not in the published report.
Not surprising. The dataset for the last medical research study I participated in (2013) consisted of about 15 million records. Thankfully bacon was not part of the investigation.

Steve
10-29-2015, 03:25 PM   #20508
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Kum ba yah
A modern dans macabre???

Steve
10-29-2015, 03:28 PM   #20509
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Someone put a bunch of yellow stuff on your corn dogs.
I had a coworker that was totally obsessed with a yellow stuff corn dog meme....no, you don't want to know more.

Steve

10-29-2015, 03:31 PM - 2 Likes   #20510
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
And that they lost my luggage
"I am sorry monsieur, but your luggage is not lost. It eez in quarantine in Hobokken for being 1mm over zee maximum lineal measurement. My coworkers there compliment you on your taste in undergarments."

Steve
10-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #20511
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Someone put a bunch of yellow stuff on your corn dogs.
Years ago, at a baseball game, the gal sitting in front of us had a box of popcorn with a large blob of mustard stuck to the inside top of the box.
She dipped each piece of popcorn in the mustard before eating it, my gag reflex went into overdrive.
10-29-2015, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #20512
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think part of the dropoff in the thread is our low morale after being told bacon is harmful.

As the T-Shirt reads: "Lettuce - the taste of sadness."

Last edited by clackers; 10-29-2015 at 06:44 PM.
10-29-2015, 10:47 PM   #20513
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I like the smaller international airports. Things usually go much smoother there. And security can be a bit more reasonable. Ok, sometimes maybe a bit too reasonable, such as when I set off the detector, but nobody seemed to care. Then I noticed that the thing beeped every time someone passed through. And nobody seemed to care

Most airports I've been to have been in quite good shape. Even CdG didn't fall apart when I was there...
Most places I go if you go through the scanner and it trips they ask what it might be - belt, coins, keys etc (people sometimes forget these things) and they send you back through to put it in the tray and then come back. If you can get through without blowing the alarm, then that shows the problem was those other things. In the US that logic is not followed and they would rather do things which cost much more staff time.

The scanner in Toulouse was interesting. First time I saw it. A barrier so that only proper carry on size could get through. If it does not scan it must be checked in. Saes a problem with people with weird size and shape objects in the luggage bins, or just people too greedy to be satisfied with their share of the space, causing inconvenience to everyone else.
10-30-2015, 01:41 AM   #20514
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Most places I go if you go through the scanner and it trips they ask what it might be - belt, coins, keys etc (people sometimes forget these things) and they send you back through to put it in the tray and then come back. If you can get through without blowing the alarm, then that shows the problem was those other things. In the US that logic is not followed and they would rather do things which cost much more staff time.

The scanner in Toulouse was interesting. First time I saw it. A barrier so that only proper carry on size could get through. If it does not scan it must be checked in. Saes a problem with people with weird size and shape objects in the luggage bins, or just people too greedy to be satisfied with their share of the space, causing inconvenience to everyone else.
Ooh, a scanner sized to "encourage" people to use sensibly sized hand luggage? I like that The only thing that makes me line up early when boarding a plane these days is that I want to secure space for my small bag in the overhead lockers - I need every bit of leg room I can get. Some people have bigger hand luggage than my checked luggage, and often two pieces, and the luggage bins are filled to overflowing in no time.

Just a few more hours now, and I'll be enjoying the, umm, comforts of long haul air travel once again
10-30-2015, 06:13 AM   #20515
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Merci ... and as an added note, there's a few "substitutes" out there on the market.

That's it, get 'em started early.
10-30-2015, 07:28 AM   #20516
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Oh, yes. That's the other thing that is being pounded into us . SALT IS EVIL! That stuff is poison! Don't eat it!
Just ignore the fact that normal salt content for the human body is nearly 1% and without NaCl we'd die.

Too much of anything is bad for us.

Moderation is the key.
10-30-2015, 07:29 AM   #20517
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Agreed. Try and find any processed food that doesn't have sugar added.

I read a while back that sugar is more addictive than cocaine.
10-30-2015, 07:32 AM   #20518
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I am a chocoholic...

Me too.

Isn't everyone?
10-30-2015, 01:16 PM   #20519
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter