Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2015, 08:07 AM   #20536
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No, you don't deserve to be banned from the thread. You deserve to suffer through it with the rest of us.

11-01-2015, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #20537
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I traveled to San Antonio from Seattle and back last week via United to attend the funeral of one of my aunts. This was the first time I had flown commercial in almost 20 years.

The security screening process was not as bad as I anticipated. I have an artificial hip, and suspected it might trigger a more close look at my person. It did, and I was asked to submit to a quick pat down, then allowed to proceed.

What I did observe was how many morons attempted to board the plane with carry on bags that clearly exceeded the size limits. All but a few were stopped and directed to place tags on the bags and surrender them to be placed in the cargo hold.

There was one woman who was able to get on one of the planes with not only oversized carry on but also more than the allowed small bag and small personal item She had a large shopping bag filled with large gift wrapped packages. Being one of the last to board she struggled to find room in the overhead compartment. The stewardess tried to help, but the passenger objected when her stuff became scattered about. During the flight she fussed and fidgeted, and got into her too large bag in the overhead several times. She pestered the flight attendants and other passengers incessantly and was a pain in the ass to everyone.

Flying commercial sucks.

Stoopit people make it even more unpleasant.

Oh, and the flights were on an Airbus A320 and an Embraer ERJ170. The fit and finish of the Airbus planes was poor in comparison to the planes I build. The Embraer was a smaller commuter plane, noisy and uncomfortable to ride in.

Since I would prefer to drive rather than fly commercial it may be a long time, if ever that
I fly again. But if I do, I'm gonna ask to fly the best.

Boeing.
Bob, that's similar to my last flying experience. The TSA and the security procedures aren't the problem. It's largely the airlines themselves, and, to a lesser degree, the passengers that make flying unpleasant.
I posted a couple years ago, after my last flight, that if I can't get to where I want to be by train, bus, boat, or by (preferably) driving I'm not going. I intend to stick to that.
11-01-2015, 08:23 AM   #20538
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
No, you don't deserve to be banned from the thread. You deserve to suffer through it with the rest of us.
You are a cruel man....
11-01-2015, 10:28 AM   #20539
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I want to fly on a 787 so I can heat my Velveeta and Rotel over those lithium batteries for a fabulous in flight dip! If it catches fire over the ocean, I can double dip!

They supposedly 'fixed' that problem. A couple years ago, while still driving trucks, mine was one of 6 rigs dispatched to Logan to pick up the AOG (airplane on ground) gear for return to Everett. The gear had been sent six months earlier in response to the Japan Airlines 787 that had to return shortly after takeoff because of a battery fire.

I chatted with an engineer about what they did, and asked if they had found and corrected the problem. He told me that in six months of testing they could not duplicate the situation. Knowing that the FAA would not reinstate the type certificate for the 787 unless an acceptable resolution was reached, I asked what they did.

The guy told me they built a stainless steel box to seal the batteries in, and vented it to the outside of the plane. That way, should the problem occur again, the smoke and noxious fumes will not fill the cabin.

Nice.

By the way, I neglected to mention, my flight home took me directly over your house.

I waved, but you just stood there, looking up.

Must have been the non-American plane I was in.

Or perhaps Otis was distracting you with his Army.

11-01-2015, 10:29 AM   #20540
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Bob, that's similar to my last flying experience. The TSA and the security procedures aren't the problem. It's largely the airlines themselves, and, to a lesser degree, the passengers that make flying unpleasant.
I posted a couple years ago, after my last flight, that if I can't get to where I want to be by train, bus, boat, or by (preferably) driving I'm not going. I intend to stick to that.

Me too.

By the way, who's Bob?
11-01-2015, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #20541
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I once had a vegetarian mushroom burger in Singapore that was described on the menu as containing "a healthy portion of vegetarians".
The sign in the window: "Sweeney Todd Bar'n'Grill" should have been a hint.
11-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #20542
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I traveled to San Antonio from Seattle and back last week via United to attend the funeral of one of my aunts. This was the first time I had flown commercial in almost 20 years.

The security screening process was not as bad as I anticipated. I have an artificial hip, and suspected it might trigger a more close look at my person. It did, and I was asked to submit to a quick pat down, then allowed to proceed.

What I did observe was how many morons attempted to board the plane with carry on bags that clearly exceeded the size limits. All but a few were stopped and directed to place tags on the bags and surrender them to be placed in the cargo hold.

There was one woman who was able to get on one of the planes with not only oversized carry on but also more than the allowed small bag and small personal item She had a large shopping bag filled with large gift wrapped packages. Being one of the last to board she struggled to find room in the overhead compartment. The stewardess tried to help, but the passenger objected when her stuff became scattered about. During the flight she fussed and fidgeted, and got into her too large bag in the overhead several times. She pestered the flight attendants and other passengers incessantly and was a pain in the ass to everyone.

Flying commercial sucks.

Stoopit people make it even more unpleasant.

Oh, and the flights were on an Airbus A320 and an Embraer ERJ170. The fit and finish of the Airbus planes was poor in comparison to the planes I build. The Embraer was a smaller commuter plane, noisy and uncomfortable to ride in.

Since I would prefer to drive rather than fly commercial it may be a long time, if ever that
I fly again. But if I do, I'm gonna ask to fly the best.

Boeing.
There are some passengers who seem to take delight in being a pain and seeing how far they can take it before someone does something in reply.

And maybe to overcome your problem with the Embraer you might try to persuade some of my mates at Boeing to build a small plane, even though it goes against the virtue of bigness, taken to the extreme in Texas.

---------- Post added 11-02-15 at 06:00 AM ----------

I once had a vegetarian mushroom burger in Singapore that was described on the menu as containing "a healthy portion of vegetarians".
I have seen restaurants with swastikas outside to indicate they are vegetarian restaurants. They make imitation meat dishes using mushrooms. They get the look, texture and taste of meat.

Makes you wonder why one would want to eat vegetables made to seem like meat, why not just eat meat? Dietrich Bonhoffer, executed for participating in a plot to kill Hitler, referred to this phenomenon in the early chapters of his famous book, Cost of Discipleship.

11-01-2015, 01:22 PM   #20543
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
There are some passengers who seem to take delight in being a pain and seeing how far they can take it before someone does something in reply.

And maybe to overcome your problem with the Embraer you might try to persuade some of my mates at Boeing to build a small plane, even though it goes against the virtue of bigness, taken to the extreme in Texas.

Although no longer in production, there is this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_717

I have seen restaurants with swastikas outside to indicate they are vegetarian restaurants.

I wonder why they use such a vile symbol?
11-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #20544
Pentaxian

Damn, too much cheap Bordeaux today ... I just bought a Pentax 67 SMC Tak 90/2.8 Leaf with a 67 SMC Tak 75/4.5 off a French site for left-over PayPal chump change ... and don't even have a 67 body (yet) ! Guess that I'll have to buy a Fotodiox adapter now ... damn.

Sorry, "gear talk" and I wonder if the mark of hociR will be on these guys. I hate GAS ... it's now expanded to "MF" size !
11-01-2015, 01:41 PM   #20545
Veteran Member

Makes you wonder why one would want to eat vegetables made to seem like meat, why not just eat meat?
Objections against the treatment of animals, evidence that greatly reducing or terminating meat intake (not fish though) has a wide range of health benefits, the fact that the global cattle industry is responsible for more greenhouse gas emissions than the entire planet's transport, implications of a misdirection of resources to produce meat when growing crops would feed many more people, growing meat demand from emerging economies that leads to massive swaths of land especially in Africa being bought precisely to grow crops to feed to cattle in other countries while the local population is suffering from malnutrition

On the other hand, it tastes pretty amazing, so it's up to everyone to decide for their own. I don't eat meat (except for fish), but I do admit that a good steak or bacon are mouth watering I hate judgemental, preaching vegetarians and vegans who get on everybody's nerves.

I mean, how can you tell that someone is a vegan? You don't have to, they'll tell you

11-01-2015, 01:43 PM   #20546
Veteran Member

I have seen restaurants with swastikas outside to indicate they are vegetarian restaurants. They make imitation meat dishes using mushrooms. They get the look, texture and taste of meat.
I assume that the sign you saw is the ancient Hindu symbol of which the Nazi swastika is just an inverted version. Many Hindus traditionally don't eat meat
11-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #20547
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You are a cruel man....

A man has to do what he is good at.

11-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #20548
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For our Thanksgiving potluck one year. someone brought in a Tofurkey, partly as a joke. The funny part was the various reactions. The vegan didn't have any because it tasted like turkey, which she didn't eat anyhow, so why would she want something that tasted like it? The manly-men wouldn't touch it (grown men acting like it had cooties - the vegan was much more reasonable). I had some - it was a little chewy - pretty much the same as the processed "turkey" the cafeteria fed us in grade school.
11-01-2015, 02:33 PM   #20549
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Many Hindus traditionally don't eat meat

One of the guys on my crew is a Hindu (actually, there are about a dozen Hindus from Fiji working throughout the 30 or so crews that work in the wing tool), born and raised in Fiji. He (they) only eats chicken or fish, and vegetables. When our manager springs for pizza or subs, catered appreciation feasts, and the holiday dinners, he has to be sure that the dietary preferences of everyone are considered.

One thing that confuses me though, is this guy will eat a donut, or have some pie, with ice cream.

Those things have butterfat in them.

Butterfat comes from cows.
11-01-2015, 02:33 PM   #20550
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I thought there are strict dimensions that carry on luggage has to adhere to?
Only Air France...at least that is the rumor on this side of the Atlantic. Air France has the most restrictive standard and my traveling friends attest that they enforce it rigorously. Here in the U.S., it is not unusual to see passengers with carry-on luggage so large that they can barely squeeze the bags within the aisle width. I once saw a guy with a full set of golf clubs (in bag).

Steve
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »