Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2015, 01:29 PM   #21001
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Joel, you're back. Good to see you contribute again.
Did I miss anything? And did you guys make 20,000 by the end of Oct.?

11-28-2015, 01:41 PM   #21002
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Truth is that preparations, like government regulations, are primarily reactive: something goes wrong, and after the horse is gone you bolt the barn door, or make a law that it must be done.
That is how it is today, but not how it has to be.

People don't want to spend money or effort unless the risk is proven. We're greedy and we're lazy. Usually that means someone loses an appendage or their life before someone acts. Because often money matters more than person to government and definitely to any corporation.

Look at the automotive industry for plenty of proof. (One example -- A neurologist in the 40s apparently worked to create retractable seat belts and a host of other safety mechanisms that are commonplace today. But only after he noticed an influx of head injuries from traffic collisions. Sure didn't come from the automobile makers. Yet it is obvious that an untethered object riding on a larger object that stops suddenly is going to cause the smaller, untethered object to continue moving. They could have easily been proactive and introduced the same safety mechanisms decades before the neurologist's work)

We are generally the more expendable resource.

That is why it is smart to prepare yourself -- You don't step into traffic, I suspect. You are proactive and look both ways before stepping off the sidewalk. We don't need another law to make it illegal to step into traffic. Laws don't stop stupid actions. We need some level of sense that this is a bad idea by being proactive to the situation versus reactive and trying to dodge the oncoming car or sue the driver for striking you.

I see the same follows for most situations... power lines, crime, work, raising children, dating, drinking milk a week past expiration date, etc.

In the case of the power lines around here, the local power company crunched the numbers and determined it is more cost effective to keep putting up new poles and restringing some of them each time a major storm comes by versus burying the lines and avoiding any disruption for good. I'm at least glad they are now looking at the trees but that should have started long before the major outage occurred.

Apparently that was bad for business. Plus, the upside for them is, they can continually restore the utilities and look like a hero.
11-28-2015, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #21003
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Must be first class.
Ahhhhh. That would explain it.
11-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #21004
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm going to be brave and make a photography post... just to see what you bozos do... taken with a K-3, in the "Why I won't buy a K-3 thread. . Does the moderator ban me from the thread for life? Do thread participants curse my family and bomb my house? Do they mail bomb my email accounts etc with vicious denial of service attacks? It my be fool hardy, but I'm curious.

Or do they just tell me how disappointed they are in my lack of judgement?

I hope nobody faints and spills their beer or drops their cheese.

K-3 Kritters...

I'm waiting for the axe too fall. This might be the worst thing I've ever done in my whole life.

Surely such transgressions can't go completely unpunished?

11-28-2015, 03:08 PM   #21005
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Norm, I didn't think you'd be the one to clutter up a perfectly good garbage thread with your beautifully done photos.
I'm aghast! (but, as usual, not speechless. )

Last edited by Parallax; 11-28-2015 at 03:15 PM.
11-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #21006
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
We are generally the more expendable resource.
I used to argue this point with several colleagues: there is only one problem on earth: TOO MANY PEOPLE.

At the time of the great tsunami that wiped out 200,000 people, I pointed out to an economist (who did not agree that TMP was a problem) that thre real catastrophe for Indonesia was not loss of people, it was loss of infrastructure. As to the people, Indonesia recovered the 200,00 withing less than 6 months, but even ignoring that, they have hundreds of thousands of adults who would be eager to take the tourist-trade jobs of the coastal areas, if only the facilities had not been destroyed.

Supply and demand: with over six thousand million people, human life is cheap, expendable, replaceable.

---------- Post added 11-28-15 at 05:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
But they can install underground cables, which relieves problems with the environmentalists and also prevents trouble with powerlines causing fires and also makes power supply independent of people driving illegally on the footpath.
But underground cables are expensive to install, and very expensive repair. Even locating a problem point is a major challenge. And I don't think that transformers can be put underground. Our hard-wired phone service came through underground cables, but every time it rained, we'd lose service. They tried again and again to repair the problem & keep water out of the junction post, but they never succeeded, so we "bundled" with cable TV and Internet, which comes via pole-strung wire, and the only service cut-off we've had was caused by the great Halloween ice storm, and the telephone recepetion is clearer.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 11-28-2015 at 03:18 PM.
11-28-2015, 05:09 PM   #21007
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Norm, I didn't think you'd be the one to clutter up a perfectly good garbage thread with your beautifully done photos.
I'm aghast! (but, as usual, not speechless. )
I know, I know, everyone thought it would be Rupert with a squirrel series. Life is stranger than fiction.

11-28-2015, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #21008
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Life is stranger than fiction.
Or, as one of the Hee-Haw characters (Grandpa Jones, I think.) used to say: "Truth is stranger than fact".

Last edited by Parallax; 11-28-2015 at 07:31 PM.
11-28-2015, 06:29 PM   #21009
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think your biggest trouble might not be from us. Your repeated use of the word bomb will probably light up several lists at the giant data collection farm! Good thing you didn't post a photo of food in a pressure cooker! Remember hociR is everywhere!!
11-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #21010
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to be brave and make a photography post... just to see what you bozos do... taken with a K-3, in the "Why I won't buy a K-3 thread. . Does the moderator ban me from the thread for life? Do thread participants curse my family and bomb my house? Do they mail bomb my email accounts etc with vicious denial of service attacks? It my be fool hardy, but I'm curious.

I hope nobody faints and spills their beer or drops their cheese.

K-3 Kritters...

I'm waiting for the axe too fall. This might be the worst thing I've ever done in my whole life.

"Join Date: Jun 2007" Gives you a lot of immunity... or maybe not.
11-28-2015, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #21011
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
We have looked at stand by generation before, and now have committed to installing it. Generac has a 17kw propane powered genset with a transfer switch for about $3,300. Since we have a private 500 gallon propane tank the setup will be perfect.

I'm going to install one soon, so hopefully this won't be a problem anymore.
That will be a nice setup!
11-28-2015, 07:09 PM   #21012
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
"Join Date: Jun 2007" Gives you a lot of immunity...
Norm has an above average amount of street cred.
11-28-2015, 07:14 PM   #21013
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Norm has an above average amount of street cred.
No doubt!
11-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #21014
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, that's it...

except, that is a feint!
The Mod "P" is even now planning the attack!
11-28-2015, 09:32 PM   #21015
Site Supporter

Taking pictures of Christmas light displays after sunset is really, really hard!