Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108794 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2015, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #21106
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have to have hip surgery soon, you're scaring me here.
I wouldn't worry, Norm. Having cathed many patients, I have to think the patient Amy is referring to has different plumbing than you.
Putting a Foley in a male patient is rarely a big deal. Well, not for the nurse or tech, anyway.

11-30-2015, 12:02 PM   #21107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lots and lots of great movies listed here, so far almost all of them are the best movie ever made... �� Yes even Tank Girl, Norm! Blazing Saddles (the uncut theater version) and Fifth Element both count as "stop everything and watch it" flicks.

And of course,

Kill Bill, Vol 1 & 2

��
11-30-2015, 12:09 PM   #21108
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Never seen it
Here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly's_Heroes
The the movie had the father of all hippies, Oddball aka Donald Sutherland. For him alone it's worth it.
11-30-2015, 12:13 PM   #21109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Putting a Foley in a male patient is rarely a big deal
Who's Foley and why would I want him there?!?

11-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #21110
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have to have hip surgery soon, you're scaring me here.

I had the left one done 4 years ago next week.

I was up and walking the day after the surgery.

The nurses would pester me constantly about how much I was urinating, and even used an ultrasound machine to check that my bladder was getting emptied frequently. Something about the risk of infection at the surgical site.

Now after this surgery one is in a great deal of pain. That pain can cause one to have difficulty eliminating wastes. As I sometimes was not able to fully void my bladder, and it showed up on the ultrasound, they would threaten me with a catheter now and again.

Having had a cystoscopy twice, once at 10 years of age, and again a couple years before the hip revision, I am averse to getting things inserted into my urethra.

I made sure they would not be required to catheterize me and made sure my bladder was completely empty.

Good luck with the surgery Norm!
11-30-2015, 12:30 PM   #21111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Having had a cystoscopy twice, once at 10 years of age, and again a couple years before the hip revision, I am averse to getting things inserted into my urethra.
The only time I had something put in there was when a urologist put in a camera. Oh, sorry, this is the non-photography thread on a photo forum.

At least it was not a huge one!

Must say, the pictures from inside were quite interesting. But it hurt somewhat. And caused an infection.
11-30-2015, 12:38 PM   #21112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I assume not like this?

11-30-2015, 12:46 PM   #21113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
You can't just give him a summary, he has to start with Post #1!
Just advise him to make sure the Psychiatric section of his medical insurance is filled in before he starts.. just saying.
11-30-2015, 01:01 PM   #21114
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
You can't just give him a summary, he has to start with Post #1!
We might never see him again!

---------- Post added 11-30-15 at 01:03 PM ----------

I wouldn't worry, Norm. Having cathed many patients, I have to think the patient Amy is referring to has different plumbing than you.
Putting a Foley in a male patient is rarely a big deal. Well, not for the nurse or tech, anyway.
Yeah, we ladies have difficult plumbing. Even when it's easy, it's not easy. KWIM? This particular incident involved some swelling which is why the catheter was needed.

Only time I've ever had to have reinforcements for male plumbing involved a very enlarged prostate, a special catheter & the urologist & his cystoscope. And a HUGE RED WARNING label on that chart to not remove that Foley!!
11-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #21115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On the last two sinus surgeries, I woke to be told that they had put a cath in, and it seemed like the entire community was extremely interested in whether I could pee or not. Since I couldn't look down w/o stuff coming out of my face, and I still had tubing flopping off both hands, the procedure was 'way more complicated than usual, but everyone was relieved when I was, uh, relieved.
11-30-2015, 01:10 PM   #21116
Site Supporter

Because anesthesia can mess up all that. Bowel, bladder, diaphragm. Post-op, I want my patients up under their own power as soon as medically able, deep breathing & coughing, eliminating on their own.
11-30-2015, 01:11 PM   #21117
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The only time I had something put in there was when a urologist put in a camera. Oh, sorry, this is the non-photography thread on a photo forum.

Must say, the pictures from inside were quite interesting. But it hurt somewhat. And caused an infection.

A cystoscope is a camera, developed to inspect the inside of the bladder. I believe it also has some tools, like a nipper to take samples.

The cameras have gotten smaller over the years.

When I was 10, they had to make an incision the entire length of my urethra. Urinating was unpleasant for a few days. I was also placed under general anesthetic for the procedure.

The scope that was used a few years ago was much smaller. The procedure was performed in the urologist's office, with no anesthetic, not even a topical. The tool scratches the tissues, which cause discomfort for a few days, but nothing as unpleasant as that I experienced 50 years ago.

Still, I made it clear that there would need to be a better way should the need arise again to go in for a look.

I really dislike doctors.

A lot.
11-30-2015, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #21118
Veteran Member

My fault! Sorry! Commented on a typo and now everyone is swapping catheter horror stories!! How am I going to be able to sleep tonight?!?

By watching The Walking Dead that's how! hahahahaha!
11-30-2015, 01:30 PM - 2 Likes   #21119
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
My fault! Sorry! Commented on a typo and now everyone is swapping catheter horror stories!! How am I going to be able to sleep tonight?!?

By watching The Walking Dead that's how! hahahahaha!

Just trot on down to your local urologist and request to be catheterized. Wear it for a few days.

Then we will forgive you.
11-30-2015, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #21120
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Just trot on down to your local urologist and request to be catheterized. Wear it for a few days.

Then we will forgive you.
Ooh, harsh! It's not like he said he was going to buy a K-3!
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »