Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2015, 12:57 AM   #21451
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Eh, I've done worse. Skills will come. The important thing is getting out there and shooting. As that famous photographer and sometimes hockey player Wayne Gretzky said, 'You miss 100% of the shots you don't take'.

Too good not to make it into a signature!

12-10-2015, 01:59 AM   #21452
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
(hushpuppies are deep-fried cornbread balls, for those unfortunate enough not to enjoy the wonderful little heart attack bombs)

There is a "seafood" place in Tennessee that serves hush puppies that are finger shaped, rather than rolled in a ball.

Still tasty!
12-10-2015, 02:06 AM   #21453
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I wish I had a ground source heat pump. I think that's about the most efficient HVAC system you can get.
Of course, they work even better if you live someplace that has electricity 365 days a year.

I know!

But places with electricity year 'round usually don't have a yard big enough for a horizontal system. Gotta drill baby, drill!

12-10-2015, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #21454
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I worked on organizing my Flickr today & added links to my signature. Still not finished organizing them, but it's better now than it was.

Since Yahoo took over Flickr I have had trouble logging in to my account. Each time it has been difficult to get it sorted out, but I eventually did.

This time I think I'm done for.

And those yahoos at Yahoo still have not responded to my message.

At over a month ago since I asked for assistance, I'm thinking they aren't gonna either.

That really bites.

Yahoo sucks.

12-10-2015, 04:56 AM   #21455
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
...but I have the most peanuts!

Then I guess you win, Jim.
12-10-2015, 05:20 AM   #21456
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Just to follow up with some more sports news:

12-10-2015, 06:04 AM   #21457
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

There is a "seafood" place in Tennessee that serves hush puppies that are finger shaped, rather than rolled in a ball.

Still tasty!
In NC, the general rule is the finger-shaped hushpuppies are sweeter and taste more like corn muffins, while the round ones are firmer and have onion in them. Round/onion ones are usually served with seafood, and the fingers with BBQ.

~20 years ago, on Fridays, the whole office would pile into the back of our manager's Suburban Assault Vehicle and ride down to OT's for BBQ. As soon as we sat down, they would put out a basket of "finger" hushpuppies (and butter!), and it would be gone by the time we'd ordered. We'd go through four or five baskets, easy. Mister O.T. would always come out from the kitchen to see how we were doing.

(thanks for "finger" - the only word I could think of was "turd"-shaped. The batter is shot into the hot oil with a pump contraption that makes a "flap-flap-flap" sound when they crank it. It's a happy sound. A sack of hot hushpuppies makes the car smell like popcorn - but don't put the bag on the seat, because the grease will soak right through!)

Last edited by THoog; 12-10-2015 at 08:50 AM.
12-10-2015, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #21458
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
I do the caffeinated chimp photo technique! works great! Take 1000 keep 10! No problem!
I can't talk - I was going through last weekend's zoopix, and there is a distinct pattern: series of single shots of bad setups, then half a dozen near-identical shots of a "good" setup, then a bunch of crap singles, then another bunch of identicals, rinse, repeat... To my credit, I seem to figure out a setup is bad pretty quickly, although there are some series where I keep attacking from different angles, trying to MAKE something become good. Then there's the occasional long series of attempts to catch a pacing animal through glass, which I know never works, but Wayne Gretzky says I have to take the shot...
12-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #21459
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Yahoo sucks.
Last year they crashed my entire account...never did get it back. I had to start all over...lost my mail, my galleries, everything. Spent hours on hold on the phone, wrote them, followed every trail I could find to access someone that could or would help. They don't have such a person in the entire organization. Sucks is too good a word.

Breakfast has degenerated to this around here....but it is delicious and has real cheddar somewhere in there...and the chips are genuine mutated corn!

Name:  DSCF9531-800.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  402.1 KB

Regards!
12-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #21460
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Last year they crashed my entire account...never did get it back. I had to start all over...lost my mail, my galleries, everything. Spent hours on hold on the phone, wrote them, followed every trail I could find to access someone that could or would help. They don't have such a person in the entire organization. Sucks is too good a word.
From what I've read recently, Yahoo won't be around too much longer. Not in its present form, anyway. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2015/12/08/report-yahoos-b...-web-business/
12-10-2015, 09:19 AM   #21461
Pentaxian

My photo skills rely heavily on the "Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile" principle.
Don't everyone's? The wonderful thing about burst mode, is there's more nuts to possibly find, increasing your odds of finding one considerably. I look at a burst mode of 8 instead of 6, and I think "that gives me a 33% better chance of actually getting one shot I like." And I don't really care if I take 200 images to get it. "Film" in digital is prepaid, use it or lose it.

Damn I love the sound of the shutter firing at 8 frames a second. It's like music.

Of course you have to buy a K-3 to hear that.
12-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #21462
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even the K-30's 6 frames per second, combined with the 'sonic boom' shutter, have gotten me horrified looks from Canikon shooters. It sounds like a threshing machine run amok!
12-10-2015, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #21463
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Of course you have to buy a K-3 to hear that.
I have sufficient self discipline to resist.
12-10-2015, 10:39 AM   #21464
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From what I've read recently, Yahoo won't be around too much longer. Not in its present form, anyway. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2015/12/08/report-yahoos-b...-web-business/
Reading that article, and a linked one, and the comments, it sounds like Yahoo's web business still has considerable value, and it won't have too much trouble finding a buyer. However, it isn't growing exponentially like the new kids on the block, which is unacceptable to the investors who demand constant, increasing profit (and increasing more rapidly, to the fourth or fifth derivative). One commenter described the CEO's job as not growing the brand, but just making the brand attractive so that it could be sold off for immediate profit.
12-10-2015, 12:10 PM   #21465
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Just to follow up with some more sports news:
Wayne WHO ?!