Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2015, 11:45 AM   #21541
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Looks like the view when composing a shot with my Cambo.

Upside down and backwards.
Really?

You have text in your view finder?

Oh well.

Cheers!

12-12-2015, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #21542
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And we now know why it was important to know algebra.
When I took course in Lens design back in the 60s, I always thought it was the most useless course ever. "I want to use lenses not design them." Who knew years later I'd be talking to bunch of blow hards who've read a few blogs on the internet and think they know everything there is to know about lenses. Without that course I would have had no idea when someone was doing a snow job.

You never know when the useless parts of your education are going to come in handy.
12-12-2015, 12:08 PM   #21543
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
When I took course in Lens design back in the 60s, I always thought it was the most useless course ever. "I want to use lenses not design them." Who knew years later I'd be talking to bunch of blow hards who've read a few blogs on the internet and think they know everything there is to know about lenses. Without that course I would have had no idea when someone was doing a snow job.

You never know when the useless parts of your education are going to come in handy.
Wait. Are you saying that the experts over in N&R can be (*gasp*) wrong?!

I don't know what to say...
12-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #21544
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Wait. Are you saying that the experts over in N&R can be (*gasp*) wrong?!

I don't know what to say...
I'm just glad there are a few real lens designers here, to get the inside scoop , when I know the "experts" here are wrong but I can't quite figure out why.

Even with their help, it took me two years to figure out how a couple of FF guys were fudging the numbers so that FF always came out "better."

12-12-2015, 12:40 PM   #21545
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Turn your monitor over.
12-12-2015, 12:47 PM   #21546
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And we now know why it was important to know algebra.
Well, Jean DID ask if the 1.5 crop factor made him 1.5 times better or worse a photog. Like I tell my managers, never ask an engineer a question with numbers in it.
12-12-2015, 12:59 PM   #21547
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even with their help, it took me two years to figure out how a couple of FF guys were fudging the numbers so that FF always came out "better."
I have a theory (oh boy, here we go) that some of the most outspoken FF guys are just really bad at math and have never forgiven the crop camera makers for forcing them to do multiplication in their heads. The fudged lens numbers, the cost-of-production arguments that just don't make sense, the unrealistic price predictions for bodies and lenses - there seems to be a consistent problem.

Last edited by THoog; 12-12-2015 at 01:12 PM.
12-12-2015, 01:35 PM   #21548
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I have a theory (oh boy, here we go) that some of the most outspoken FF guys are just really bad at math and have never forgiven the crop camera makers for forcing them to do multiplication in their heads. The fudged lens numbers, the cost-of-production arguments that just don't make sense, the unrealistic price predictions for bodies and lenses - there seems to be a consistent problem.
It's more than that, it's also having very little experience with multiple formats. Once you've seen the contact print from a 4x5 view camera and the level of detail, anyone talking about superior IQ taken on a 35x23 sensor is actually pretty funny. But you just can't get them to see the humour.
12-12-2015, 01:58 PM   #21549
Site Supporter

So, I unboxed the K-S1. Omg! That's almost exactly perfect! It's got the smallish form factor of the K-01. OVF. I haven't turned it on to play with its controls yet. The battery is charging. But the controls look more like a higher PnS. I can definitely see what Pentax was trying to do: entice superzoom users into buying a K mount camera, maybe eventually graduating to a full size DSLR. And for $179 after I send off for the rebate, YES, I STOLE IT!
12-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #21550
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's more than that, it's also having very little experience with multiple formats. Once you've seen the contact print from a 4x5 view camera and the level of detail, anyone talking about superior IQ taken on a 35x23 sensor is actually pretty funny. But you just can't get them to see the humour.
I've poked around in some of the US- Civil War photos in the Library of Congress online collection (I think it's LoC), and the detail in some of those glass-plate photos is astonishing. For instance, a shot of the sand mounds and front gate of Fort Fisher after the battle - you zoom in enough, there's a work party in shirtsleeves standing around with their coats draped over a rail, unaware of the photographer. You can't see them at all in the zoomed-out view. There's another one from Charleston that appears to be some guys standing on a beach, but if you zoom on the cloud on the horizon, there are four or five monitors and a large ship (USS New Ironsides), clearly in action against Fort Sumter.
12-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #21551
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
So, I unboxed the K-S1. Omg! That's almost exactly perfect! It's got the smallish form factor of the K-01. OVF. I haven't turned it on to play with its controls yet. The battery is charging. But the controls look more like a higher PnS. I can definitely see what Pentax was trying to do: entice superzoom users into buying a K mount camera, maybe eventually graduating to a full size DSLR. And for $179 after I send off for the rebate, YES, I STOLE IT!
Good thing that kind of deals can't happen over here, or I would be having way too many cameras

Yes, good thing...
12-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #21552
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, it's a classic Pentax "entry-level" DSLR, very much in the mindset of the K-x, just with a slightly unconventional layout.

Well, I've bagged up my 'star' lenses (the ones that make pretty stars, that is), and I'm heading out to see if I can shoot some Christmas lights.
12-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #21553
Site Supporter

It's smaller than the K-x though. Kind of between the K-x & the K-01. Stupid weird battery. Impatiently waiting for the light to turn off...
12-12-2015, 03:42 PM - 2 Likes   #21554
Pentaxian

It's smaller than the K-x though. Kind of between the K-x & the K-01. Stupid weird battery. Impatiently waiting for the light to turn off...
Hit it hard with a hammer. That should make that pesky light go out.
12-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #21555
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Hit it hard with a hammer. That should make that pesky light go out.
There are very few problems in life that cannot be resolved by enough money or a large hammer.