Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2015, 09:47 PM - 1 Like   #21571
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
It's smaller than the K-x though. Kind of between the K-x & the K-01. Stupid weird battery. Impatiently waiting for the light to turn off...
The K-01 was the result of a curvy plastic DSLR and an angular metal SLR having too much to drink at Marc Newson's New Year's party. (The SLR did not call the next day.) After a troubled childhood, the K-01 grew up, settled down, and married a nice K-x, and they had two kids: 'Swan', the artsy fashion-conscious one, and 'Stu', the sporty outdoors one.

12-12-2015, 09:50 PM   #21572
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have the same problem with my Chamonix. I tried rotating the GG 180° but it did not help. What's more, when I pan the camera, the view goes in the opposite direction. You would think for what I paid and the professional reputation of the product that this sort of issue would not make it past final QC...assuming they are doing QC.
It's probably right-side-up when viewed from China, since they are on the other side of the planet....
12-12-2015, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #21573
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I don't know what came over me. Please forgive me.
Since The Thread is eventually going to contain the sum of ALL mankind's (and squirrelkind's) knowledge, it's necessary to throw some camera stuff in from time to time.
12-12-2015, 09:58 PM   #21574
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was almost carded buying Birch Beer tonight. I don't know which is funnier - that she didn't know what Birch Beer was, or that a bald guy with a gray beard might pass for under-21. (or that someone three customers back wanted to know where I found it, because her husband likes Appalachian Brewing Co's White Birch Beer, too)

12-12-2015, 10:06 PM   #21575
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But what the heck are some folks doing so rambunctious that you're bending & breaking even metal mounts?
I think in the time I've been active on PF plus a couple years of lurking before that, I've seen two, maybe three broken plastic mounts - always the result of dropped cameras. I think I've seen just as many cases where a lens with a metal mount ruined the mount on the camera body when dropped.
12-12-2015, 10:10 PM - 2 Likes   #21576
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I think in the time I've been active on PF plus a couple years of lurking before that, I've seen two, maybe three broken plastic mounts - always the result of dropped cameras. I think I've seen just as many cases where a lens with a metal mount ruined the mount on the camera body when dropped.
I know. It's very, very rare that I do not have the camera physically leashed to my person by a strap of some sort. It's still possible that I might suffer a fall in such a way that the camera also takes impact damage, but I'd rather have a $100 plastic lens break than a $$$$ body need repair to the mount.

Sneaking in gratuitous pictures of teenagers because even though they drive me crazy, I love them!

They went to a "Winter Formal". Since it was my daughter's and son's first dance, I wanted pictures. Unfortunately, I had absolutely zero light. None. So I had to use flash and make do with what I could get.

From left to right in the second picture: daughter's boyfriend, daughter, son #1 and his best friend that he took to the dance.

---------- Post added 12-12-15 at 10:26 PM ----------

You know. I'm really happy that I bought that K-01 and started taking pictures again. And that it led me back here. I'm making myself get out and shoot something almost every day for "Single In". I might not like the K-01 very much, but it did open a door. Now, that K-S1? I can see my daughter and I fighting over that one!

Last edited by dansamy; 12-12-2015 at 10:15 PM.
12-12-2015, 10:36 PM   #21577
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I've poked around in some of the US- Civil War photos in the Library of Congress online collection (I think it's LoC), and the detail in some of those glass-plate photos is astonishing. For instance, a shot of the sand mounds and front gate of Fort Fisher after the battle - you zoom in enough, there's a work party in shirtsleeves standing around with their coats draped over a rail, unaware of the photographer. You can't see them at all in the zoomed-out view. There's another one from Charleston that appears to be some guys standing on a beach, but if you zoom on the cloud on the horizon, there are four or five monitors and a large ship (USS New Ironsides), clearly in action against Fort Sumter.

I've looked at those photos also. Amazing work.

12-13-2015, 12:21 AM   #21578
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
sure, all the fun starts when my antique laptop decides to destroy itself!! Took 2 days to secure another clunker! But it was free! And I like free!
12-13-2015, 12:35 AM   #21579
Pentaxian

Yep - this was just for APS-C vs FF. The general formula was going to be too wide to fit on the screen. (yes, I started to write it) (facepalm)
What's this, a general theory of photographer relationships. You're late, the 100th anniversary of General Relativity has just passed by.

---------- Post added 12-13-15 at 06:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
When I took course in Lens design back in the 60s, I always thought it was the most useless course ever. "I want to use lenses not design them." Who knew years later I'd be talking to bunch of blow hards who've read a few blogs on the internet and think they know everything there is to know about lenses. Without that course I would have had no idea when someone was doing a snow job.

You never know when the useless parts of your education are going to come in handy.
At least back then you were probably not asked to rate the teacher in some kind of modern style popularity poll, right at the end of the course. I have taught courses like that, which go against what the teenage kids think their professional area is about and they all complain about it, rather than trusting that the faculty actually have been around longer than them and know what they need. They complain and then the rating stick against the academic. Popularity polls of teachers are bad for the quality of education, and therefore, actually bad for the society. Other methods of evaluating teaching should be used.

---------- Post added 12-13-15 at 06:23 PM ----------

YES, I STOLE IT!
So we need to ring that phone number to send around the people with a car with flashing red and blue lights to your place?
12-13-2015, 08:20 AM   #21580
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Ex Finn.:

I liked the post you deleted.
You should have left it.
I can`t remember what I posted
12-13-2015, 10:24 AM   #21581
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I can`t remember what I posted
Been there. Done that. Too much cheap Bordeaux, n'est-ce pas ?!
12-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #21582
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
At least back then you were probably not asked to rate the teacher in some kind of modern style popularity poll, right at the end of the course. I have taught courses like that, which go against what the teenage kids think their professional area is about and they all complain about it, rather than trusting that the faculty actually have been around longer than them and know what they need. They complain and then the rating stick against the academic. Popularity polls of teachers are bad for the quality of education, and therefore, actually bad for the society. Other methods of evaluating teaching should be used.
My buddy Jim (RIP) was my cohort in crime, teaching photography at a Toronto Highschool. When I became department head, his nose got out of joint, I don't know why, he had better qualifications than I did, but he didn't want the job. Anyway, for a while he was giving his students bonus marks for going on some website called "rate my Teacher" and saying pretty nasty things about me. He was always bugging me to look at this site, but I could care less what students think. The only question I have for students is "do you want this credit or don't you." The whole thing was totally bogus. And those comments stayed up there for years, contradicted by students who actually enjoyed my class, and who weren't getting bonus marks for saying so.
12-13-2015, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #21583
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
So we need to ring that phone number to send around the people with a car with flashing red and blue lights to your place?
Yes! That way, with the "stolen" K-S1, she can have red, blue, AND green flashing lights! It'll be very festive!
12-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #21584
Site Supporter

So, my daughter has decided she does like the K-S1 & wants it. So, I'll sell her K-x & I was already selling the K-01. I knew I should have bought two of these!
12-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #21585
Veteran Member

So, my daughter has decided she does like the K-S1 & wants it. So, I'll sell her K-x & I was already selling the K-01. I knew I should have bought two of these!
That's what kids are for!! I have lost much photographic treasure to my daughter when she "borrows" it, never to return!
That's all right, she'll be married off soon enough! And I flat out refused to do the wedding photos! No way!!