Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2015, 02:18 AM   #22186
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Darnit, I seem to be developing a runny nose and cough. I think I've caught 'cheesy lung' from Amy. It spreads over the Internet, you know.
Sure does. I started two days ago, now it is damned painful to swallow, it hurts to breathe, my sides ache from coughing, my nose is blocked and is runny, and my clogged up sinuses give me a throbbing headache. You really have something to look forward to...

Thanks Amy!

12-31-2015, 02:36 AM   #22187
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sorry to hear. Sounds miserable.

This year I have only had two colds. Both in my second winter. The first in June and July was cold but did not result in a cold. The second resulted in a cold in late November and a second in late December. Both times I upped the dose of vitamin C, following an idea from a GP friend. That seemed to shorten the bad bit. Went from the itchy throat, to less days of blowing nose, and then the trailing cough in less days than usual. That could be the natural history of the particular one I got. I upped the V C dose as soon as I was aware of any suspicious symptom.

My method may not help you though, depends what you got. Sorry to sound like an investment advisor in diamond cuff links.
12-31-2015, 03:05 AM   #22188
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, I'll survive. It's a cold

I have felt better, though. I'll try getting out of bed now and brew myself a big pot of tea. No vitamin C in the house, unfortunately, but they do soften the symptoms - I'm convinced it's just placebo, but as long as it works...
12-31-2015, 03:17 AM   #22189
Pentaxian

Vitamin C also helps ward off scurvy. Apparently scurvy rates are seriously up in UK. But that finding is " lies, damned lies and statistics" since the rate is so low that just one person makes a substantial change to the rate. Seriously, a boy did die of scurvy recently. The culprit named, 'junk food', in excess. Cook, the discoverer of places like Australia and Hawaii demonstrated the health benefits of C rich foods.

But in the cold recovery process it might be placebo.

Costco have it in big bottles at sensible prices. The price some supermarkets charge I would think they buy at Costco and repack to change the branding.

Funny, in Australia vitamin C tablets tests a bit like orange and in England more like lemon.

12-31-2015, 03:46 AM   #22190
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, Cook never missed an opportunity to fetch fresh supplies for his crew. And he would punish the seamen who didn't eat all the food they were served - including the sauerkraut.

I don't think the concept of "reasonable prices" has reached Norway yet - and it won't likely happen now that our currency is plummeting

Ouch.

No laughing.
12-31-2015, 04:41 AM   #22191
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Lutefisk on toast with extra sharp Tillamook?
surprised he didn't kill the whole town after that!

Typhoid Amy?
You're gonna get it!!

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
but aging trailers & their accoutrements cost upkeep for sure!)
Know too well!! Still reliving the sewage bath under one!!
Sorry to hear about your power.
12-31-2015, 04:44 AM   #22192
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Sure does. I started two days ago, now it is damned painful to swallow, it hurts to breathe, my sides ache from coughing, my nose is blocked and is runny, and my clogged up sinuses give me a throbbing headache.
Seems to be country wide. Got two in the house with it. Wife and daughter.

12-31-2015, 05:21 AM - 2 Likes   #22193
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That brings up another issue. One of my (many) pet peeves. If you don't like the taste of booze, don't drink it!
I remember a guy at work going on and on about some cocktail that tasted "just like Dr. Pepper". You know what else tastes just like Dr. Pepper, is a tenth the price, and doesn't make you a road hazard?
12-31-2015, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #22194
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Thanks, I'll survive. It's a cold

I have felt better, though. I'll try getting out of bed now and brew myself a big pot of tea. No vitamin C in the house, unfortunately, but they do soften the symptoms - I'm convinced it's just placebo, but as long as it works...
(This joke may only work for Americans, as I understand other countries do not allow drug companies to advertise on TV, radio, billboards, cereal boxes...)

"I take a placebo, but sometimes I still don't feel quite right."

Is your placebo not working as well as it should? Ask your doctor about Placebin, the placebo booster for treatment of headache, nausea, vomiting, coughing, fever, body aches, depression, bipolar disorder, and back hair. Side effects may include headache, nausea, vomiting, coughing, fever, body aches, depression, bipolar disorder, and back hair.
12-31-2015, 05:40 AM   #22195
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Here in Australia a well-known Nine Network morning personality was being told on air by a doctor a drug trial was not going well - the placebos had as good results. Our hero asked if there were problems, why these placebos couldn't be brought to market instead.
12-31-2015, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #22196
Pentaxian

But the doctor was afraid of not getting a paper in the journal, after all the effort of securing a place in the trial.
12-31-2015, 07:27 AM   #22197
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Well. My power pole snapped in two down by the base. I've got no power until I can get a new pole set. This might be one of those not very fun weeks...

(The kids & I live in an aged mobile on family land. No rent or anything, but aging trailers & their accoutrements cost upkeep for sure!)
Amy, I hope the new year is better for you than than the last couple weeks of this one.
12-31-2015, 01:55 PM   #22198
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Goodbye, 2015! Lessee, what did I accomplish this year...

Work: Not a danged thing. Well, maybe a few things. I did find myself saying "I'm getting too old for this crap" more than before.

Life: Ditto. Gained too much weight. Didn't walk enough. Ate too much cheese & bacon. Didn't eat enough cheese & bacon.

Photo/hobby/bucketlist items: Visited US Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL. Visited the "other" Air Force Museum at Warner Robins, GA. Explored Shiloh Battlefield. Rode Intimidator 305 at King's Dominion (experienced gray-out for the first time on a roller coaster). Visited a bunch of zoos, museums, and toy train shows (not sure how that last one happened - it just worked out that way). Petted a baby kangaroo (not a big deal for Oz members, I know). Got licked by a giraffe. Shot the National Air & Space Museum after dark (something that's only possible a couple nights each year).
12-31-2015, 06:22 PM   #22199
Veteran Member

Happy New Year everybody!!
May 2016 go smoothly for you all!!
No party tonight. Gotta work in the morning... maybe I'll take my camera...
12-31-2015, 06:27 PM   #22200
Veteran Member

And to get you guys in the mood:
Dog flavored cheese!!