Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2016, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #22306
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I've had 2 cats over the years. Both were trained to ask to be let outside (I refused to have a litter box in the house), and knew to stay off of the counters and table. I can't remember either one messing with the TP, but they both certainly got into considerable mischief.
Willie the cat says it should go the "wrong" way, and he'll do whatever it takes to make it happen:

01-03-2016, 10:54 PM   #22307
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
His profile shows his last activity was 12-13-15. I look at it once in a while and see that he visits now and again.

I'm sure he spends time catching up with his 'baby' (this thread).
But the twelfth day of the thirteenth month of 2015 has not happened yet (I presume you mean January 2016). Are you a prophet or is OP Dr Who?
01-04-2016, 02:44 AM   #22308
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
But the twelfth day of the thirteenth month of 2015 has not happened yet (I presume you mean January 2016). Are you a prophet or is OP Dr Who?
He could be on an Ethiopian calendar. But then 2015 is even further into the future. And the 13th month doesn't have 12 days.

No, I suspect he's using some obscure notation that is not used by anyone else on this globe.
01-04-2016, 04:09 AM   #22309
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
No, I suspect he's using some obscure notation that is not used by anyone else on this globe.
Only in Amerika!
(Dec. 13 2015)

01-04-2016, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #22310
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Only in Amerika!
(Dec. 13 2015)
Indeed. Use the same date format as the rest of the world? Too complicated! Much better to dream up our own format, just similar enough to cause confusion. Actually, it amazes me that they haven't switched either the minutes or hours, or the minutes and seconds, to get their own time format.

One coherent decimal based system for distance, area, volume, mass, and force? Too complicated! Our medieval system is much more intuitive! (You know, like an iPhone.)

Do not despair, my Usanian friends! You are not alone in the world! According to wikipedia.org only these few countries, shown in green, have adopted the metric system:

Now, that should be reason enough not to get a K-3!
01-04-2016, 06:54 AM   #22311
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Indeed. Use the same date format as the rest of the world? Too complicated! Much better to dream up our own format, just similar enough to cause confusion. Actually, it amazes me that they haven't switched either the minutes or hours, or the minutes and seconds, to get their own time format.

One coherent decimal based system for distance, area, volume, mass, and force? Too complicated! Our medieval system is much more intuitive! (You know, like an iPhone.)

Do not despair, my Usanian friends! You are not alone in the world! According to wikipedia.org only these few countries, shown in green, have adopted the metric system:

Now, that should be reason enough not to get a K-3!
The only country rich enough to afford to crash a thing into Mars on account of not having the units of measurement properly sorted!

I can understand both year, month, day and day, month, year formats (big to little or vice versa) but year, day, month!????
01-04-2016, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #22312
Veteran Member

Pffft. If I drop 5 pounds, it's a lot more encouraging to say I lost 5 pounds, as opposed to 2.3 kilos, or even less encouraging - 0.4 stone.

01-04-2016, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #22313
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can understand both year, month, day and day, month, year formats (big to little or vice versa) but year, day, month!????
I don't know of anyone who uses year-day-month. It's thought that the American month-day-year format is based on the way we say a date using the month name: "January 4, 2016", or just "January 4th", rather than "4th of January".

Personally, I prefer yyyy-mm-dd because it's easier to sort files and folders that way.
01-04-2016, 07:35 AM   #22314
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JibbaJab Quote
Pffft. If I drop 5 pounds, it's a lot more encouraging to say I lost 5 pounds, as opposed to 2.3 kilos, or even less encouraging - 0.4 stone.
But you lost 2300 grams, rather than only 80 ounces!
01-04-2016, 07:44 AM   #22315
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I don't know of anyone who uses year-day-month. It's thought that the American month-day-year format is based on the way we say a date using the month name: "January 4, 2016", or just "January 4th", rather than "4th of January".

Personally, I prefer yyyy-mm-dd because it's easier to sort files and folders that way.
Yep, I always stick to ISO 8601.

But you lost 2300 grams, rather than only 80 ounces!
Or 2.3 million milligrams.
01-04-2016, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #22316
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm a retired land surveyor and we used the foot measure, but it was in tenths and hundredths of a foot instead of inches.
AKA decimal engineers measure
One time on a job site a father explained to his son "Those surveyors use big inches."

01-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #22317
Pentaxian

Sorry, but mm dd yyyy is just as strange, not going in one size order, either up or down.

The are something like this in addresses. Most English speaking countries use address formats starting specific and working bigger:
House number, street
Area
Bigger political region
Country
Little to big

But, say, Japan or Taiwan, go:
City
district
Road and last, number.
Big to little.

Both have a logical flow, but big to little seems really sensible in the logistics of shipping and sorting mail.

Last edited by tim60; 01-04-2016 at 11:57 AM.
01-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #22318
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry, but mm dd yyyy is just as strange, not going in one size order, either up or down.
It's got nothing to do with logic or size order - it's tradition. The traditional way of writing dates in the US is monthname date, year. (Just to add to the confusion, we write "January 4", but we SAY "January fourth".) Whenever we began abbreviating it to just numbers, we kept that convention.

Ironically, the one date that we say the other way around is the Fourth of July (Independence Day) - ironic because the first line of the document that day celebrates reads "July 4, 1776".
01-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #22319
Pentaxian

It's got nothing to do with logic or size order - it's tradition. The traditional way of writing dates in the US is monthname date, year. (Just to add to the confusion, we write "January 4", but we SAY "January fourth".) Whenever we began abbreviating it to just numbers, we kept that convention.

Ironically, the one date that we say the other way around is the Fourth of July (Independence Day) - ironic because the first line of the document that day celebrates reads "July 4, 1776".
That might be some people's tradition,. I always used yyyy,mm,dd, even though I might have said january fourth. I was born in the US, but I don't use their convention personally. If I use it at all, I use it because some fill in the blanks US website forces me to.

It's hard for me, but I can force myself to do it under the right circumstances.
01-04-2016, 09:43 AM   #22320
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I'm a retired land surveyor and we used the foot measure, but it was in tenths and hundredths of a foot instead of inches.
AKA decimal engineers measure
One time on a job site a father explained to his son "Those surveyors use big inches."

Having worked in civil engineering I can say this is certainly a great way to break up feet. I never got the hang of working with fractions, and decimals are always easy.

Like the metric system.