Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #22411
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pure evil.......and so proud of it.

Skippy Squirrel...sister of Otis. Otis told her to stay off the ground....but you know women.....

R.I.P. Skippy

Regards!

01-05-2016, 08:55 PM   #22412
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Any relation to The Guardians of the Galaxy?
Nope, Masters of the Universe. (Mattel instead of Hasbro, DC instead of Marvel). Although the MOTU do include the "Galactic Guardians". (Gosh, I wonder where they got that name.)
01-05-2016, 10:48 PM   #22413
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
"Power corrupts. But absolute power corrupts absolutely." - Col. Sanders
What's that to do with KFC.
01-06-2016, 04:34 AM   #22414
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Although the MOTU do include the "Galactic Guardians".
No Groot! Not the same!!
BTW: Nothing beats a talking raccoon with a really big gun!!

01-06-2016, 05:46 AM   #22415
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

BTW: Nothing beats a talking raccoon with a really big gun!!
Deputy Dawg can handle that raccoon.
01-06-2016, 05:48 AM   #22416
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Apparently, the first DC 'Galactic Guardians' were a Super Friends continuation: Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians:

Nothing beats a talking raccoon with a really big gun!!
EH, if you've seen one talking raccoon with a really big gun, you've seen 'em all. No, literally - there's only one.
01-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #22417
Pentaxian

Apparently, the first DC 'Galactic Guardians' were a Super Friends continuation: Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians:

EH, if you've seen one talking raccoon with a really big gun, you've seen 'em all. No, literally - there's only one.
One is all it takes! "Oh, Yeahhhhhhh"

01-06-2016, 10:49 AM   #22418
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
One of my favorite drafting scales ("rulers" to those who never took drafting) is marked in tenths and hundredths of inches. It's useful for model building when I'm having to use US-standard-units stock, but don't want to deal with fractions (and 0.2 inches = 5mm, or close enough for hobby work).

I always preferred my engineering scale to the architectural one.

No messy fractions.

01-06-2016, 10:55 AM   #22419
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
OK ... my wife uses "military time" in French which just kills me ... I can never get the hang of it.

7:20 PM translates to "19 heures 20" ("dix-neuf heures vingt") which literally reads "ten-nine hours twenty" ...

What's worse is 5:00 PM is "17 heures" ("dix-sept heures") which literally reads "ten-seven hours" !!! How did we get to seven before passing five ?!

I mean, how can it be "10-7" hours at 5 PM ... lost in translation ... lost, I tell you ... lost

Kinda like using Roman numerals to tell time, huh?
01-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #22420
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Much of the public awareness of the metric system in the US is due to folks with military service.

This is a recent change. When my pop was a service member they still did things the old fashioned way.

Likewise, the US military does use day-month-year notation, which is increasing its use in the general population. It's not that we aren't converting to international conventions, just that we are doing it very slowly.

Very slowly.

I have had discussions with educated, technical adults, who could not estimate sizes for anything and would not believe that a standard floor or ceiling tile was 2 feet (60 cm) across unless you got out a tape and measured it for them - when people don't really know what one foot or one mile is, how receptive are they going to be to a completely different set of terms?

Although change is inevitable, it often comes slowly.
01-06-2016, 02:21 PM - 2 Likes   #22421
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
When my pop was a service member they still did things the old fashioned way.
Flint and powder?
01-06-2016, 06:05 PM   #22422
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Makes sense to me...

They must have stomped some HUGE grapes!
Just to add to the confusion, Cape Feet (An old South African measurement) are different from English / US Feet. Where a US Foot is 304.797mm, a Cape Foot is 315.855mm. This can get tricky with old survey maps, not to mention chains and links, Rooden and Morgen, etc. In my job, whenever I work from an old drawing, it pays to make sure which foot they mean!

In 1993 I bought a 1983 Oldsmobile in New York - Needed a car to tour around. First time I tried to work on it, I found I needed to go out and buy a Metric socket set! Up to then, I've never needed Metric sockets - every prior US made car that I owned was Imperial measures. How odd is that!
01-06-2016, 06:17 PM - 3 Likes   #22423
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Metric sockets I can deal with but that (inevitable) ONE star shaped fastener really Torx me off.
01-06-2016, 06:26 PM   #22424
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had to get a piece of equipment out of a server rack yesterday, only to find that someone had installed it with hex screws (the kind you have to use a hex key or "Allen wrench" on). We have dozens of systems in those racks, all installed by the same guys, and that's the only one like that. We don't even have a set of Allen wrenches in the toolbox, so I don't know how/why they did it that way; it had to have been harder than just getting some regular screws out of the enormous box we have for just that purpose. I had to get wrenches from home, and I made sure I chucked the screws in the trash when I was done.
01-06-2016, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #22425
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had to get a piece of equipment out of a server rack yesterday, only to find that someone had installed it with hex screws (the kind you have to use a hex key or "Allen wrench" on). We have dozens of systems in those racks, all installed by the same guys, and that's the only one like that. We don't even have a set of Allen wrenches in the toolbox, so I don't know how/why they did it that way; it had to have been harder than just getting some regular screws out of the enormous box we have for just that purpose. I had to get wrenches from home, and I made sure I chucked the screws in the trash when I was done.
To prevent this problem, I've bought some years ago a full set of bits - hex, torx, etc. Including the "security" types, like the three sided Philips, torx and hex with a pin in the centre, etc.

But I will say this - Airport security look at you strangely when your hand luggage includes a metric socket set, an '83 Delco GM ambulance spec alternator, chrome bezels for a 1949 Wayne bowser, a 1957 Ford water pump (new) and a water pump rebuild kit, a Holley two barrel rebuild kit, and a 272 Y-block distributor cap. First time ever I had a cavity search - luckily they only looked in the water pump.