Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2016, 10:59 PM   #22426
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
To prevent this problem, I've bought some years ago a full set of bits - hex, torx, etc. Including the "security" types, like the three sided Philips, torx and hex with a pin in the centre, etc.

But I will say this - Airport security look at you strangely when your hand luggage includes a metric socket set, an '83 Delco GM ambulance spec alternator, chrome bezels for a 1949 Wayne bowser, a 1957 Ford water pump (new) and a water pump rebuild kit, a Holley two barrel rebuild kit, and a 272 Y-block distributor cap. First time ever I had a cavity search - luckily they only looked in the water pump.
What do you expect. And in Australia that collection, unless it was only pictures of those items would have to be check in. Too heavy for trolley cart on baggage.

So now I know who it is who fills all the baggage bins so everyone else has no when to put their stuff.

01-07-2016, 04:05 AM   #22427
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I have had discussions with educated, technical adults, who could not estimate sizes for anything and would not believe that a standard floor or ceiling tile was 2 feet (60 cm) across unless you got out a tape and measured it for them - when people don't really know what one foot or one mile is, how receptive are they going to be to a completely different set of terms?

I have always been pretty good at estimating dimensions and distances.

But.

The first time I drove a truck to Medicine Hat and Saskatoon was weird. I tried setting the odometer and speedometer to kilometers. I used Streets and Trips on a 17" laptop with a GPS antenna that functioned as navigation, and I set it to metric measure.

Just couldn't quite get the hang of figuring out where I needed to get fuel, and give my dispatcher a decent estimate of when I would get to Saskatoon.

And then some guy in Medicine Hat was trying to give me directions to a truck stop on the edge of town.

He said, "Well eh, you just go down this road aboot 4 clicks."

Huh?

Oh.

I get it.

4 kilometers.

OK.

I was never good at math in my head. When I was studying to do engineering work I had to learn trig, descriptive geometry, and some other stuff, but I had my trusty HP33c with reverse polish notation.

Driving a big truck one doesn't have time to be fiddling around converting clicks to miles.

After a couple more trips into our great neighbour to the North, back to Medicine Hat and Saskatoon again, up to Winnipeg and Thetford Mines (up in Québec where my rudimentary French only got me frowned upon) I got pretty good at using the laptop with streets and trips to develop and plan routes.

And aboot 4 clicks is aboot 2 and half miles, eh?
01-07-2016, 04:42 AM   #22428
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
When I was in grade 5 my teacher was teaching feet and inches. I asked about the MN c on the other side of the ruler. She would not, or could not tell me. Over summer the laws was changed to use metric and it was illegal to sell measuring gear in feet and inches, even as a secondary scale. Finally after 10 of 20 years it became legal to sell imperial measure tools again.

It just sounds so odd that a government would criminalize something like the sale (and thereby the use of) a tape measure.
01-07-2016, 04:51 AM   #22429
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Where I come from we measure land in sections.

Same in this land.

And the cowboys still ride the range there.

01-07-2016, 06:09 AM   #22430
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
What do you expect. And in Australia that collection, unless it was only pictures of those items would have to be check in. Too heavy for trolley cart on baggage.

So now I know who it is who fills all the baggage bins so everyone else has no when to put their stuff.
Almost guilty as charged!

Oh, it was regulation size, alright! (It was the weight that was the issue - 25kg) The good old days where the airhostess simply said "You're not going to stick that in the overhead bins are you?" And the little case was placed in the bottom of a bin in the back of the plane. Good thing we did not all do that, or the plane would never get off the runway!
01-07-2016, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #22431
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
And then some guy in Medicine Hat was trying to give me directions to a truck stop on the edge of town.
He said, "Well eh, you just go down this road aboot 4 clicks."
A rural raveling salesman was running low on gas, spotted a farmer near the road, pulled over and asked how far is the next town.
The farmer says about 10 miles.
The salesman asks "Is that as the crow flies?"
The farmer says "You going by crow?"
01-07-2016, 08:07 AM   #22432
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
A rural raveling salesman was running low on gas, spotted a farmer near the road, pulled over and asked how far is the next town.
The farmer says about 10 miles.
The salesman asks "Is that as the crow flies?"
The farmer says "You going by crow?"
Badoom-boom-chingggggg.
Give him a hand, folks. He'll be here all week
Thanks for coming. Try the veal; and don't forget to tip your waitress.

01-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #22433
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Badoom-boom-chingggggg.
Give him a hand, folks. He'll be here all week
Thanks for coming. Try the veal; and don't forget to tip your waitress.
01-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #22434
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Pretty much, since the guests are short two dollars that they were supposed to get back.

What the guests paid = what the hotel (and clerk) have

10+10+10 = 30
10+10+10 = 25+5
10+10+10 = 25+2+1+1+1
(Refund: subtract 3 ones from both sides)
10+10+10-1-1-1 = 25+2+1+1+1-1-1-1
9+9+9 = 25+2

There you go with that new math again . . . . .
01-07-2016, 11:44 AM   #22435
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
As far as the legal question, he'll probably just say that if the clerk had kept the 5 and bought a bottle of cheap Bordeaux it would have been dismissed as justifiable repurposing of funds.

Hey.

The clerk could have kept the entire $5 and the three businessmen would been none the wiser.

Would have been way easier than splitting $5 three ways.
01-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #22436
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Huh ?!

Too much cheap Bordeaux?
01-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #22437
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
So after nearly a week of couch/cot surfing & wearing out our welcomes amongst our family & friends, I'm very relieved & happy to report that the new pole's installation & wiring met the county inspector's codes & we're reconnected! In the immortal words of Prince Adam, "I have the power!"

Congratulations Amy!
01-07-2016, 11:49 AM   #22438
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I just noticed this thread is at the top of the list.

Again.

Nice.

But.

I still will not buy a K3.
01-07-2016, 12:19 PM   #22439
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
My quote is from He-man, Masters of the Universe.

She Ra.

What a babe.

01-07-2016, 12:38 PM   #22440
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
In 1993 I bought a 1983 Oldsmobile in New York - Needed a car to tour around. First time I tried to work on it, I found I needed to go out and buy a Metric socket set! Up to then, I've never needed Metric sockets - every prior US made car that I owned was Imperial measures. How odd is that!

And to make matters worse, many North American vehicles from that era had a mix of metric and imperial sized fasteners.

One sage mechanic I worked with back then told me he only needed metric sockets and wrenches. Said there were more sizes and would always be one that would fit.

I have found that to be true.

Well, most of the time anyway.