Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2016, 01:17 PM   #22831
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
This was posted by my good friend Norm.....Otis wanted his friends here to see it and remember, squirrels always have the right-of-way!
I think the crumple zones worked.

01-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #22832
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This was posted by my good friend Norm.....Otis wanted his friends here to see it and remember, squirrels always have the right-of-way!
Squirrellish propaganda! (doing a search for the image, the same couple also hit a squirrel in Vermont, Minnesota, Romania...)

01-21-2016, 01:56 PM   #22833
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by OldPentaxFan Quote
I think the crumple zones worked.
Yep...and the squirrel that survived with only minor injuries was a living air-bag! Bounced for half a mile and landed gently!

Otis said it looked like the drivers arm was still attached to the steering wheel? Otis always notices stuff like that.....makes great stories for the little blind orphan squirrels at bedtime.

Regards!
01-21-2016, 05:48 PM   #22834
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Did you get anything last night? That front looked impressive all afternoon as it edged east, but it evaporated at the county line. Maybe the western part of the state got something out of it - not enough for the local news to take note.

They can't decide if the next storm will be ice-rain-ice or snow-ice-snow. We haven't had a good ice storm in awhile, so the pine trees will probably be snapping left and right. I'm seriously considering just packing the (camera) bag and going south for a couple days, rather than sit around in the dark.
They called for a dusting, we ended up with about an inch. Automatic 2 hour school delay for us.
DC beltway was an ice-rink from hell, according to the news. Cant wait till tomorrow, it could get ugly.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 01-21-2016 at 06:01 PM.
01-21-2016, 06:11 PM   #22835
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At the moment, for us, it looks like it's going to start just before morning rush-hour, then ice all day, then snow all night, then ice all day Saturday. It's been freezing / below freezing all week, so it will stick. Worst-case (and sadly, most likely) scenario: everybody goes to work, then everybody leaves at the same time - that's how we got Snowmageddon.

Schools are already closed for Friday - I feel sorry for the folks who make that decision. If they don't close and it's bad, everyone howls, if they play it safe and nothing happens, everyone howls, if they wait-and-see, everyone howls. It's like they are Pentax or something.
01-21-2016, 06:23 PM   #22836
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Schools are already closed for Friday - I feel sorry for the folks who make that decision. If they don't close and it's bad, everyone howls, if they play it safe and nothing happens, everyone howls, if they wait-and-see, everyone howls. It's like they are Pentax or something.
Same here as far as the closings go.
Ice and freezing rain is an automatic power-outage... no fun.
01-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #22837
Veteran Member

Squirrellish propaganda! (doing a search for the image, the same couple also hit a squirrel in Vermont, Minnesota, Romania...)
What can I say? Squirrels get around, they are everywhere...haven't you noticed?

01-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #22838
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What can I say? Squirrels get around, they are everywhere...haven't you noticed?
With identical cars? And identical damage? And it just happens to be the same as the damage to the car that was test-crashed into a concrete barrier? No, no, no - this is clearly an effort by squirrels to intimidate drivers of compact cars, convince them to trade in for gigantic gas-guzzling Sport Utility Vehicles, and drive fuel prices back up. Check under those nut stashes - I bet you'll find a few thousand barrels of oil!
01-21-2016, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #22839
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oddest headline I've seen in advance of the winter storm:

Airlines cancel flights, crews prep roads ahead of winter storm

Why are the airline crews prepping roads? Isn't that the DOT's job? Geez, the flight attendants have to work long enough hours without having to drive salt trucks all night...
01-21-2016, 09:49 PM   #22840
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They're not going to drive the planes down the roads???
01-22-2016, 06:13 AM   #22841
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oddest headline I've seen in advance of the winter storm:

Airlines cancel flights, crews prep roads ahead of winter storm

Why are the airline crews prepping roads? Isn't that the DOT's job? Geez, the flight attendants have to work long enough hours without having to drive salt trucks all night...
It's not at all odd when you consider that the average journalist or copy writer has only a passing familiarity with the rules of grammar and composition.
01-22-2016, 06:27 AM   #22842
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
It's not at all odd when you consider that the average journalist or copy writer has only a passing familiarity with the rules of grammar and composition.
Yes, but I thought all "news" stories these days were written by robots that just compile and paraphrase what they find in Twitter. And those robots are written by computer geeks with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder who spend their leisure time reading youtube comments, correcting people's their/there/they're errors - I expect better!

PS: The flight attendants did a pretty good job with the roads last night, but it's going to get worse before it gets better. And they forgot my pretzels!
01-22-2016, 06:35 AM   #22843
Pentaxian

With scripted cues and talking points etc, they should just do interviews on a check list. Check off the emotions you want to express. The computer will do the writing. Like comments on the report cards in the schools these days.

Unbelievable, you can't teach relatively educated teachers to say the right thing, but everyone else gets to blabber on forever.
01-22-2016, 06:55 AM   #22844
Veteran Member

With identical cars? And identical damage? And it just happens to be the same as the damage to the car that was test-crashed into a concrete barrier?
Otis reminds that honest trustworthy and value oriented squirrels did not write the story, all they did was try to cross the road when one was hit. It was old Norm that posted the photo and story.......are you accusing old Norm of having less integrity than Otis? Otis isn't going to like that.....and old Norm isn't either!

01-22-2016, 06:58 AM   #22845
Pentaxian

Otis reminds that honest trustworthy and value oriented squirrels did not write the story, all they did was try to cross the road when one was hit. It was old Norm that posted the photo and story.......are you accusing old Norm of having less integrity than Otis? Otis isn't going to like that.....and old Norm isn't either!

Wow, I was sleeping when this started, don't be getting me in too deep.