Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2016, 08:32 PM   #22876
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Maybe if you soaked it in lye first?

The only way I like corned beef is in a Reuben; I'm not a fan of CBH. Mary Kitchen RBH, on the other hand, is almost entirely (processed) roast beef, (processed) potatoes, and (processed) sodium, all of which I like more than I should.
Let me clarify. I LOVE corned beef. That is, as long as it's served alone, with cabbage, or in a sammich. If it's ground with taters, smashed and fried it becomes, essentially, low grade dog food.

01-23-2016, 08:40 PM   #22877
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
it becomes, essentially, low grade dog food.
I thought low grade dog food was mostly corn?
01-23-2016, 08:42 PM   #22878
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought low grade dog food was mostly corn?
No, it's corned beef ground with potatoes, with a slice of Velveeta.
That's as low grade as it gets.
01-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #22879
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

and smoked oysters.
Don't ask......
Now there is a delicacy of the first degree! I can't pass by cans of smoked oysters without buying at least a half dozen. Packed in cottonseed oil, they are easy on the digestive tract, have a wonderful flavor and are rich in protein and who knows what else! Best if you buy the smaller ones and just pop in your mouth and enjoy the rich full flavor. Not best if you cut one open and look inside.....if you are squeamish. I like mine on a Ritz cracker and a small square cut of Velveeta. Some hot mustard ..just a dab, makes it all the better! Maybe I will open a can and dissect one for you guys? I can explain that the green slimy inside is really nutritious and is just seaweed...or something like that...anyhow, it's green, and we all know green is good for the environment!

01-23-2016, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #22880
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
oysters
Never eat anything that looks like something a camel sneezed out! Ever!!
01-23-2016, 10:05 PM   #22881
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Never eat anything that looks like something a camel sneezed out!
Only the inside looks like that, and you don't have to see it if you don't want to. Once you taste one, you are addicted. Not as good as bacon, but real close!

Snails...is that more to your liking? I've never eaten one, but even though they meet my criteria of "moving slow"...they are moving too fast for me!

Mountain oysters.....no green goo in those! Delicious too! Deep fried with a nice thick batter they are guaranteed to satisfy a manly need!

My Dad went to Texas A&M and got a degree in both engineering and agriculture. He helped pay his way by working in the Ag Dept and one of his jobs was to castrate chickens. He often reminisced about the deliciousness of Chicken Fries. It took a lot of them to make a meal, but Texas A&M had a lot of chickens!

Calf fries, chicken fries, pig fries, goat fries....it's all good!
01-23-2016, 11:41 PM   #22882
Pentaxian

This is how I eat chicken livers! ...with gravy and a biscuit.

Yep...some good stuff!

You can't wear them out, they last forever!

Regards!
The people I gave them to are still using them and they get regular robust use.

---------- Post added 01-24-16 at 05:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Whatya got against roast beast or corned beast hash?

Great stuff. Makes for tasty meals. Has fiber. And protein.

Beef.

Its what's for dinner.

And lunch.

And breakfast.

Or anytime.
I find lots of fibre in meat. It all sticks between my teeth. So what is the big deal those dietitian types come up with about needing to eat fruit and vegetables for fibre.

---------- Post added 01-24-16 at 05:17 PM ----------

Maybe if you soaked it in lye first?

The only way I like corned beef is in a Reuben; I'm not a fan of CBH. Mary Kitchen RBH, on the other hand, is almost entirely (processed) roast beef, (processed) potatoes, and (processed) sodium, all of which I like more than I should.
Use to soak unripe soft persimmons in lye for two days to change the horrid stuff in them to make them quite good to eat. Beat waiting days for them to ripen on the shelf to become all soft and mushy. Also helped prepare them for drying.

01-24-2016, 12:01 AM   #22883
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I find lots of fibre in meat. It all sticks between my teeth. So what is the big deal those dietitian types come up with about needing to eat fruit and vegetables for fibre.

Celery leaves fibers in my teeth.
01-24-2016, 12:15 AM   #22884
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Celery leaves fibers in my teeth.
I agree, and I can list other non-self-propelled foods that also leave fibres between my teeth, but the implication that meat is not fibrous is false.
01-24-2016, 12:21 AM   #22885
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Let me clarify. I LOVE corned beef. That is, as long as it's served alone, with cabbage, or in a sammich. If it's ground with taters, smashed and fried it becomes, essentially, low grade dog food.

Driving trucks for 5 years allowed me to have food in many varied and (most times) great places. I found a couple that served homemade corned beef hash. The meat was shredded from the roast like pulled pork, then browned with potatoes. One place used finely chopped red potatoes and a green onion, another shredded hash browns and chives.

Two eggs over easy, English muffin with butter and honey, coffee with cream and brown sugar.

Not anything like low grade dog food, no sir.

A great start to a long day in the seat.

So now, why ya be hating' the roast beast?

One of my specialties is roast beast. Stuff it with chunks of garlic using a paring knife. Brown it on the grill or in a skillet, Put it in a baking bag with chopped potatoes, carrots, onions (I like to use one each white, red and yellow, or change it up with a sack of pearl onions), celery and more garlic. Sprinkle some seasonings from the spice and herb rack, close it up and stick in the oven.

Serve it up with some freshly made sourdough garlic bread and some nice red wine.

Tasty!

I rotate different sammich types in my work lunches. Roast beast is in the rotation this week. Two slices of the really nice deli beast that is red in the middle and well seared on the outside. A fresh cibatta roll. Grey Poupon coarse deli mustard. The meat. A slice of Tillamook sharp cheddar. A couple leaves of crisp iceberg lettuce, tomato slices, and mayo on the other slice of bread.

{The mustard must be on the meat side of the buildup, as it compliments the meat better than the vegetables, mayo always goes with the veggie side as it is better with them.}

Very tasty!
01-24-2016, 03:33 AM   #22886
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Never eat anything that looks like something a camel sneezed out! Ever!!
Velveeta? Couldn't agree more.
01-24-2016, 03:36 AM   #22887
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't pass by cans of smoked oysters without buying at least a half dozen. Packed in cottonseed oil, they are easy on the digestive tract, have a wonderful flavor and are rich in protein and who knows what else!
I don't know... My teeth are good, but I still find oysters to be a challenge. And all those splinters are not easy on the digestive tract!

01-24-2016, 06:27 AM   #22888
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Now there is a delicacy of the first degree! I can't pass by cans of smoked oysters without buying at least a half dozen. Packed in cottonseed oil, they are easy on the digestive tract, have a wonderful flavor and are rich in protein and who knows what else!
I agree. I love all shellfish, no matter how it's prepared. Fresh, frozen, canned, pickled, smoked, whatever.
It's ill-advised, however, to wash any of it down with 2 bottles of Boone's Farm apple.
Maybe cheap Bordeaux would have been better?
01-24-2016, 06:31 AM   #22889
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I don't know... My teeth are good, but I still find oysters to be a challenge. And all those splinters are not easy on the digestive tract!

But they are a great source of calcium - even better than Velveeta!
01-24-2016, 08:07 AM   #22890
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Use to soak unripe soft persimmons in lye for two days to change the horrid stuff in them to make them quite good to eat. Beat waiting days for them to ripen on the shelf to become all soft and mushy. Also helped prepare them for drying.
I love persimmons! Never heard of that idea, but it sounds good. My first experience with persimmons was not so good...nope, not at all. Iwas around 10 and me and my two cousins were roaming the woods when we came across a grove of native persimmons.....still green. We were going to the Dime Store (remember those?) later that day and each of us had a little cash. We started betting on who could eat the most green persimmons. Never been so sick in my entire life....running at both ends, cramps, rolling on the ground in pain and misery. We were sick for two days and never made it to the Dime Store.

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
If that bothers you, drop them into a blender and make yourself an oyster smoothie. Goes down easy and you get to see all those pretty colors! Liquefy with some of that Boones Apple mystery juice and you might even have a marketable product?
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »