Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #23146
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dang it ... I missed it. More winter ... ?!

And is this prediction applicable in France?

02-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #23147
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Winter? Where?!

Did I miss summer?
02-03-2016, 11:03 AM   #23148
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Why are you picking on me Racer? Otis laughed so hard when he saw that "add" that he almost fell off the cedar fence.

Just trying to help you out Jim.

We have a few, very few, decent seafood places around here. The best seafood I have ever eaten is about a days drive away on the coast of Louisiana on Interstate 10. It's worth the drive.

They have it all and none of it is older than the day you order it.

When Mrs Rupert places her 2nd and 3rd orders...you know it's damn fine eatin'!

Regards!

Ooohhh!

Crawfish!

And boudin!

Did you have some boudin? It is very good.

When I was driving big trucks I always tried to find good places to eat. As I frequently passed along I-10 through Texas and Louisiana I dropped in at many great places to eat. Steamboat Bills on Lake Charles was one such place.

Steamboat Bills has room for a big truck to park, and very good grub.

BTW- I may not be sophisticated and have "weed" culture, but I don't smell like a wet raccoon from smoking that "medicinal" herbal tonic that eventually flat lines your brain. Weed smokers lose the ability to see reality, everything looks rosy and mellow in their world. I like seeing the real world......ugly as hell and just as dangerous.

Wet raccoon?

Easy there big guy.

02-03-2016, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #23149
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Did I miss summer?

Summer?

In Norway?

That lasts about 3 days, right?

02-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #23150
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

We have a few, very few, decent seafood places around here. The best seafood I have ever eaten is about a days drive away on the coast of Louisiana on Interstate 10. It's worth the drive.

They have it all and none of it is older than the day you order it.

When Mrs Rupert places her 2nd and 3rd orders...you know it's damn fine eatin'!

By the way, not far from you, up near Decatur, is Catfish O'Harlies. A few miles West of Decatur on US-287 it is always a great place to eat. Stopped there every time I passed by. Had a full belly each and every time.
02-03-2016, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #23151
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Summer?

In Norway?

Yep
02-03-2016, 01:32 PM   #23152
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

After near 80Fweather the past week or so it turned cold today, only 54F. Glad I have my gas firelogs. Supposed to warm up again by Friday....I sure hope Otis is keeping an eye on the weather. He was burning old rubber tires this morning, so I guess that is the most I can expect him to do to keep us warm in February. Beats his other ideas...like burning my house down, with me in it. He offered his Otis Guarantee that I wouldn't be chilly....

02-03-2016, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #23153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Summer?

In Norway?

3 days! They are lucky. Summer in Finland is nice, as long as it does not rain that day... (at least it used to be like that)

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-03-2016 at 03:38 PM.
02-03-2016, 05:23 PM   #23154
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Otis had a visitor today....looks like the Squirrel Army has closed up shop early this evening.

I came in from grocery shopping and glanced out the windows...there he was. Grabbed the Bigma and didn't even check the settings, just fired away before he was gone. There wasn't a bird or squirrel in sight...except one lone squirrel on the squirrel feeder to the left of the shot. I figured that squirrel was a goner and hated to see the next move.

Now I know this sounds crazy, and I'm known for crazy, but this is the honest to dog truth, I swear on Otis' hide. Just as I was expecting the worst, the squirrel jumped down on the fence and charged the hawk at full speed. The hawk was startled and his takeoff was troubled but he did leave and I haven't seen him since. I see some crazy stuff here, but never have I seen anything like that. It was either a damn brave squirrel or a damn dumb squirrel.

Here he is looking directly at the squirrel and the squirrel is looking back at him.

Just seconds before the squirrel charged him.

It's no joke, it happened just like that.

Regards!

Can you post stuff like this here? It does involve bacon...the squirrel saved his own bacon...and he honestly did!
02-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #23155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
3 days! They are lucky. Summer in Finland is nice, as long as it does not rain that day..
Beat me to it!
I used to laugh at my Pommie 'friends' about their summers (before they migrated!)
The Poms would put the window in the train carriage down on the way to work one day, and put it up on the way home because summer was over.
02-03-2016, 05:44 PM   #23156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Beat me to it!
I used to laugh at my Pommie 'friends' about their summers (before they migrated!)
The Poms would put the window in the train carriage down on the way to work one day, and put it up on the way home because summer was over.
Had to look up "Pommie" Prisoner of Mother England! I guess I should stay more in contact with my Aunt and cousin in England...
02-04-2016, 01:53 AM - 1 Like   #23157
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

3 days! They are lucky. Summer in Finland is nice, as long as it does not rain that day... (at least it used to be like that)
A summer without rain? Lucky bastards!
02-04-2016, 02:37 AM   #23158
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Otis had a visitor today....looks like the Squirrel Army has closed up shop early this evening.

I came in from grocery shopping and glanced out the windows...there he was. Grabbed the Bigma and didn't even check the settings, just fired away before he was gone. There wasn't a bird or squirrel in sight...except one lone squirrel on the squirrel feeder to the left of the shot. I figured that squirrel was a goner and hated to see the next move.

Now I know this sounds crazy, and I'm known for crazy, but this is the honest to dog truth, I swear on Otis' hide. Just as I was expecting the worst, the squirrel jumped down on the fence and charged the hawk at full speed. The hawk was startled and his takeoff was troubled but he did leave and I haven't seen him since. I see some crazy stuff here, but never have I seen anything like that. It was either a damn brave squirrel or a damn dumb squirrel.

Here he is looking directly at the squirrel and the squirrel is looking back at him.

Just seconds before the squirrel charged him.

It's no joke, it happened just like that.

Regards!

Can you post stuff like this here? It does involve bacon...the squirrel saved his own bacon...and he honestly did!

Great photos Jim. Bokeh is smooth.

A few years back as I was mowing with my 8N Ford a red tailed hawk flew from a tree about ten feet to my right, directly across the hood and pounced on a young rabbit. I immediately stopped the machine and watched as nature took its course. The kit was too big for the hawk to carry, so it spread his wings over the quarry and began to consume it right there, ignoring me altogether.

Of course my camera was in the house.

But I did snap a shot of the Ford later, after getting the yard whipped into shape. In the background are the trees I was near when the hawk flew across my tractor.

02-04-2016, 02:49 AM   #23159
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Yep

You guys would like it here. Some years we get 4 or 5 days in a row without rain. Locals argue that we actually get two and a half to three months of summer, but my definition is different from theirs.

Summer is supposed to be warm (hot is better), and dry.

But hey, lots of your ancestors settled here. I think they were homesick in The New World, and the Great Pacific Northwet reminded them of home.

This is great, as I can get lefse, lutefisk, rulepolse, pickled herring and all manner of authentic cuisine the likes of which have been mentioned here, all within a 20 to 30 minute drive of my home.
02-04-2016, 06:15 AM   #23160
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Terrific shots Rupert!
I believe it's a Cooper's hawk.

Several years ago I saw a red tail flying fairly high and carrying a snake in its claws.
It dropped the snake, but quickly swooped down and grabbed it again in midair.
Heck of a sight.