Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2016, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #23161
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Summer in a place that can get 60 days with no rain and temperatures from a low maximum of 30C to a high max (fairly common) of 42C gets a bit depressing, just out in the baking hot. I am enjoying my new climate, which even has rain, here in England.

02-04-2016, 06:58 AM   #23162
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Great photos Jim. Bokeh is smooth.
Thanks Racer.....I got lucky!

Of course my camera was in the house.
Luckily, my camera was on my desk and the settings were adequate. Seldom get that lucky.

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Terrific shots Rupert!
I believe it's a Cooper's hawk.

Thanks! Yes, Coopers Hawk it was.

Several years ago I saw a red tail flying fairly high and carrying a snake in its claws.
It dropped the snake, but quickly swooped down and grabbed it again in midair.
Heck of a sight.
That was fascinating to see, no doubt!

Don't know if I reported it here, I babble so much it is hard to recall all the crapola I post, but several weeks ago I heard a thud on one of my office windows. It was loud and I looked up to see the wings of a hawk that had crashed onto my deck in front of the windows and was righting himself to take off. When he did he was carrying a young squirrel and was gone in only seconds. Apparently he had swooped down at a high speed and grabbed him off the fence but could not slow in time to avoid the collision with my office window.

There are so many trees here and so close together, it is hard for hawks to get speed to grab anything. Over a hundred Whitewing doves feed on the fence twice a day, so this is a target area, yet I seldom see any hawks because of the thick tree growth.

For those that missed the hawk on the last page..... here are two smaller shots. Larger on the last page...shows his beauty better.

I'm still marveling over that squirrel....he was too brave or too dumb, but luck was on his side yesterday!

Regards!
02-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #23163
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
A summer without rain? Lucky bastards!
No Savoche. There must be some rain. When we have a dry summer here in MessyChewBits, crossing the lawn sounds like walking on crumpled cellophane. Better to have some healthy, even lush greenery
02-04-2016, 07:45 AM   #23164
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
No Savoche. There must be some rain. When we have a dry summer here in MessyChewBits, crossing the lawn sounds like walking on crumpled cellophane. Better to have some healthy, even lush greenery

If we are talking about a summer lasting three, or even just one, day, I think it would be perfectly alright

02-04-2016, 07:53 AM   #23165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If we are talking about a summer lasting three, or even just one, day, I think it would be perfectly alright
Do you Scandinavians estivate to avoid the heat?
02-04-2016, 08:30 AM   #23166
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Do you Scandinavians estivate to avoid the heat?
What heat? But judging from the numbers going to Spain and Greece for the summer holidays I think the answer to your question is "no"...

I would rather hibernate through winter. Heat doesn't bother me, at least not until we reach mid forties centigrade. Which doesn't happen here, of course. There is a reason for me fleeing to Noel's part of the world late autumn/early winter.
02-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #23167
Pentaxian

Another blatant FB steal ... from Fred yet again.

02-04-2016, 11:01 AM   #23168
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is really strange. Not sure I want to know what is happening.
02-04-2016, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #23169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Another blatant FB steal ... from Fred yet again.
That 'white square thingie' showed up in my back yard yesterday but the dogs chased it away before I could get the K3 out.....
02-04-2016, 01:06 PM - 2 Likes   #23170
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Bah, that's nothing!

This morning I should take a shot of the church and the crescent moon, and waddaya know, no less than 5 planes were circling the moon!

Talk about being lucky!

Now, where's my bag??
02-04-2016, 01:07 PM   #23171
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Otis had a visitor today....looks like the Squirrel Army has closed up shop early this evening.
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Terrific shots Rupert!
I believe it's a Cooper's hawk.
That is my call as well. Don't the squirrels know that Cooper's hawks eat birds, not squirrels! The brave defender's efforts were for naught!

There are so many trees here and so close together, it is hard for hawks to get speed to grab anything.
That is where the Cooper's hawk comes in. They have some of the best close-quarters flying skills of North American hawks. I have watched one navigate thick branches at high speed while in full pursuit of a songbird. The display was quite impressive. From the link below:

QuoteQuote:
Among the bird world’s most skillful fliers, Cooper’s Hawks are common woodland hawks that tear through cluttered tree canopies in high speed pursuit of other birds.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Coopers_Hawk/id

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-04-2016 at 01:17 PM.
02-04-2016, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #23172
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Great photos Jim. Bokeh is smooth.

A few years back as I was mowing with my 8N Ford a red tailed hawk flew from a tree about ten feet to my right, directly across the hood and pounced on a young rabbit. I immediately stopped the machine and watched as nature took its course. The kit was too big for the hawk to carry, so it spread his wings over the quarry and began to consume it right there, ignoring me altogether.

Of course my camera was in the house.

But I did snap a shot of the Ford later, after getting the yard whipped into shape. In the background are the trees I was near when the hawk flew across my tractor.

Nice tractor. I learned to drive tractor on one very similar to that, though not nearly as pretty.

Steve
02-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #23173
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is where the Cooper's hawk comes in. They have some of the best close-quarters flying skills of North American hawks. I have watched one navigate thick branches at high speed while in full pursuit of a songbird. The display was quite impressive. :
I watched one pursuing a hapless passerine through the woods behind our house some years back. Didn't seem possible either bird could process the visual input quickly enough to avoid hitting something at the speed they were flying
02-04-2016, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #23174
Veteran Member

Otis had a visitor today....looks like the Squirrel Army has closed up shop early this evening.
Otis is starting to build an air force to go with the army. You are dooomed, Rupert, dooooomed!
02-04-2016, 08:23 PM   #23175
Pentaxian

Bah, that's nothing!

This morning I should take a shot of the church and the crescent moon, and waddaya know, no less than 5 planes were circling the moon!

Talk about being lucky!

Now, where's my bag??
I think the air force is doing some kinda secret operations there.....
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »