Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #23206
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
Homemade chili with a dash of crown royal, it was breakfast/lunch.

Sounds tasty!

I'm gonna have to give that a go next time I make some chili. Chili is one of my favorite things to prepare. Sometimes I use a started seasoning packet, like Carroll Shelby's Texas Chili Fixins, or Chugwater Chili seasoning from Chugwater Wyoming. Other times it is all from scratch.

Crown Royal sounds like a perfect addition!

02-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #23207
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I've never looked at English question. Am I missing something?

Nah.

Just a thread where folks who speak English in other parts of the world bemoan how we butcher the language here in the US.
02-06-2016, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #23208
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Oven roast chicken, assorted veggies and rice ... the entrée is something with beets that the girls are fixin'up now ...

And my cheese will be with a young Côtes de Rhone.
Tomorrow I'm getting out my grandmother's Dutch Oven and doing a Pot Roast. Smashed Yukon Gold potatoes. Some nice salad with Mandarin oranges and cheap red wine.

No cheese.

And I still haven't bought a K-3.
02-06-2016, 12:52 PM   #23209
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Nice!

I have just chopped the ingredients to top our pizza. Haven't picked what to wash it down with yet. I think the only French reds I have at the moment are some Chateauneuf-du-Pape - not my first pick for pizza... Maybe time to finish off those bottles of cheap Californian I was given. Zinfandel never was a favourite of mine. Then again, it might be that the ones I have tasted haven't been the best.
We must have something in common. M & I just put together and ate a home-made pizza (tomato sauce, onion, yellow bell pepper, mild Italian spiced chicken sausage, four-cheese Italian mix, on a beer-bread crust), Maybe there's something in Norwegians that wants pizza on Saturday.

02-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #23210
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Nah.

Just a thread where folks who speak English in other parts of the world bemoan how we butcher the language here in the US.
And rightly so!
02-06-2016, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #23211
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I've never looked at English question. Am I missing something?
There's a thread called "American english question." (sic - with a lower case "e" on English). It's basically an exchange between pedants and free speakers (in the sense of say it the way you want and the devil with definitions, grammar, syntax, etc)
02-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #23212
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
There's a thread called "American english question." (sic - with a lower case "e" on English). It's basically an exchange between pedants and free speakers (in the sense of say it the way you want and the devil with definitions, grammar, syntax, etc)
OK thanks. Lords and Libertarians.

Sounds like my kind of place.

02-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #23213
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
And rightly so!

Well the US is the Melting Pot. Ever since the Europeans and British began exploring and settling here the language has been evolving. What those who complain fail to see is the influence of not just every English speaking culture from around the world, but the influence of all the other cultures and languages that comprise this Great Land.
02-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #23214
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Well the US is the Melting Pot. Ever since the Europeans and British began exploring and settling here the language has been evolving. What those who complain fail to see is the influence of not just every English speaking culture from around the world, but the influence of all the other cultures and languages that comprise this Great Land.

I used to ascribe to the myth of the "American melting pot." Granted some aspects of American culture, speech, etc are a blend or amalgam, but the truth is we are really a "crazy quilt." People tend to cling to their own traditions, heritage, church, diet, holidays, even language, so there are enclaves characterized as Italian, or Irish, or Polish, or Scandinavian, etc. etc. There's a very insightful (IMHO) analysis of the USA that suggests we are about nine different major cultures, one in New England, one in the Southeastern "Old Confederacy," another in Appalachia, another in the interior West ("Cowboy country"), etc. The current presidential election cycle should put a pin in the bubble of the "melting pot" theory.
02-06-2016, 02:20 PM - 2 Likes   #23215
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
The current presidential election cycle should put a pin in the bubble of the "melting pot" theory.
This WILL NOT turn to politics.
02-06-2016, 02:32 PM   #23216
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Can you do anything about the damn squirrels too...or are they a "Protected Species" here? If I could just get through a day without squirrels or squirrel shots I think it would change my life.
02-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #23217
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I used to ascribe to the myth of the "American melting pot." Granted some aspects of American culture, speech, etc are a blend or amalgam, but the truth is we are really a "crazy quilt." People tend to cling to their own traditions, heritage, church, diet, holidays, even language, so there are enclaves characterized as Italian, or Irish, or Polish, or Scandinavian, etc. etc. There's a very insightful (IMHO) analysis of the USA that suggests we are about nine different major cultures, one in New England, one in the Southeastern "Old Confederacy," another in Appalachia, another in the interior West ("Cowboy country"), etc. The current presidential election cycle should put a pin in the bubble of the "melting pot" theory.
There's a macroeconomic theory that, prior to the completion of the Interstate highway system, the USA was 5 distinct regional economies that were largely self-sustaining: New England, the Southeast, the Midwest / Great Plains, the Southwest and the Pacific (west of the Continental Divide).
02-06-2016, 03:01 PM   #23218
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
If I could just get through a day without squirrels or squirrel shots I think it would change my life.
I feel your pain!

02-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #23219
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Right on brother!!!
That psycho circus just left town here!!(Iowa Caucus) And good riddance to all of it! My phone and mailbox can be left in peace for a while!
02-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #23220
Veteran Member

Bacon kabobs.
That's what I grilled today.
Haven't developed the film yet, it's still in the MX-1.
Still looking for my Kodak mailer envelope.